Old L1 vs. New L1 - some comparison photos

deranged_coder

Enlightened
Just got my grubby little hands on the new L1 over the weekend. For the people who have been wondering what exactly the difference is between the old L1 and the new L1, here are some pics I would like to share:

(1) Both flashlights side-by-side. The bodies look the same, only noticeable difference is in the bezel:
OldL1vsNewL1.jpg

(2) Bezel view. The difference in the optics used should be quite noticeable:
OldL1vsNewL1Bezels.jpg

(3) Beamshot. The old L1 has more sidespill, the new L1 has a more throw due to the TIR optic:
OldL1vsNewL1Beamshot.jpg

akula88

Enlightened
d_c,
Thanks for the pictures.

The new L1 is said to be driven a little bit higher...Can you swap the heads and see if there are visual (brightness) difference?

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
Nice pic and yes, thank you. Though I have the Inova "T"-series...there are indeed different tools for different jobs. Most of my "needs" are for a little bit of throw coupled with some sidespill.

Just as the old KL1 is a different animal compared to the new KL1, I own both of them as well, because once again...different needs/tasks.

What am I saying? "Buy em' both"...I guess! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

rgc

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the pictures. I now know that the L1 that should be somewhere between California and my house in the mail is the old version of the L1 with some side spill. This is good for me as the L1 is red LED and will be used for hunting, thus, side spill is handy. Now the question remains, do I want a new version L1 or a new E1L for a little bit of white LED throw? Ah, the decisions.

Thanks again coder,
rgc

Pwdrkeg

Enlightened
Great pics !!! ......... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/clap.gif

My new L1 is about 2 weeks
away.

Can't stand the wait ... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

Oh well, it gives me some
time to dream.

... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smoker5.gif

deranged_coder

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
akula88 said:
The new L1 is said to be driven a little bit higher...Can you swap the heads and see if there are visual (brightness) difference?

[/ QUOTE ]
I tried swapping the heads but my eyes do not notice any difference in brightness. Unfortunately, I do not have access to a light meter or anything which I could use for an objective comparison.

stringj

Newly Enlightened
deranged_coder,

I am questioning the beam pattern of the new L1. I have a new one and my beam is decidely square not round like the one you posted. Does this difference have to do with the aperture setting you chose on your camera?

Jerry

deranged_coder

Enlightened
stringj - Yes, the hotspot looks square-ish on the new L1. I left the camera in full auto so it auto-selected the aperture and exposure settings.

iocheretyanny - yes, the bezel on the new L1 is slightly longer.

cia

Newly Enlightened
Nice, /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
In the first photo the old style L1 on the left looks like it has a white(?) band around it under the tail cap and another white band above the bezel.

What is that?

deranged_coder

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
cia said:
In the first photo the old style L1 on the left looks like it has a white(?) band around it under the tail cap and another white band above the bezel.

What is that?

[/ QUOTE ]
I placed some reflective tape on the body of the light.