C / D Cell Options (Luxeon)

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here is what I consider:

Maglite with Lux-III luxeon aftermarket led...do they make this? I have a few Maglites with the Lux-I side emitting "ever-led" installed, but I'd like some more output. I want C and/or D cell lights for the increased runtime, and ability to get the batteries at Costco.

Option 2: Tektite LS4. Like most things about it, except the price ($191). If anyone has the product, is it really worth this price?

Given these two choices, would prefer trying to find a Lux-III led for C/D cell Maglites, since I already have tons of C/D Maglites that still haven't been fitted with Luxeons. I don't ever recall seeing a Lux-III replacement bulb in the online places I've looked. Is there such an animal?

turbodog

Flashaholic
try the "diamond" drop ins for the mag

they are reviewed on brock's site

and available (backordered) at quality items

i have 2 on order

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
turbodog said:

i have 2 on order

[/ QUOTE ]

Are these Luxeon based, or are these leds made by another company? I'll definitely give it a read on the review site. Where is the Brock review by the way?

BatteryCharger

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
357 said:
[ QUOTE ]
turbodog said:

i have 2 on order

[/ QUOTE ]

Are these Luxeon based, or are these leds made by another company? I'll definitely give it a read on the review site. Where is the Brock review by the way?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, they've got luxeons, but they've also got no heat sink. I remember somebody measuring the temp on these and it was VERY hot...meaning it probably won't last much longer than a couple regular bulbs. I suggest you make your own...it's pretty easy with a hotlips or O-sink and a Luxeon III emitter. You can also buy one already made around here for around $80.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
At 20 minutes after turn on, I measured a temperature of 203°F (95.0°C) at the metal collar near the base of the LED.
This was with a Diamond drop-in bulb with a Luxeon III emitter.

3rd_shift

Flashlight Enthusiast
Go ahead and go the Osink route, or just let me mod one for you with a premium bin Luxeon3 on an Osink.
Once you see how easy it is with a completed unit, then you will probably go /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ohgeez.gif and want to do a few more yourself.

Vortex

Newly Enlightened
I got my Diamond 3W lambertan replacement bulb 2 weeks ago and I installed it in my 3D Naglight. Well the tint on mine is a bit too purple and gets smoking hot if I leave it on for more than 20 min. I'm still on my first set of batteries but I worry that over time with the Vf drop more current will make to the LED and fry it, especially with fresh batteries.

Also My diamond module gives a horrendous beam compared to the incan. bulb. For example, at 20 feet the diamond module gives me a hole in the beam at tightest focus, where the incan does not. I got mine on special for $24.95 so I can't really complain much for that price.

just my $0.02

lamperich

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Vortex said:
I'm still on my first set of batteries but I worry that over time with the Vf drop more current will make to the LED and fry it, especially with fresh batteries.

[/ QUOTE ]

if THAT is true (evan9162 Posting Fri Mar 04 2005 11:11) it isn´t recommend driving a Led directly! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif