Thread and "O" ring lube info pls.

Pydpiper

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thread and \"O\" ring lube info pls.

I need to know what I can use on the threads and "O" rings on my lights to assist in water proofing. I would like to just be able to get this at a hardware store.
Is there one that would work best?
Is there some I should avoid?
Educate me please...

vtunderground

Enlightened
Re: Thread and \"O\" ring lube info pls.

For o-ring grease, go into the plumbing department and look for silicone grease. It comes in a tiny little plastic container, and is usually with the faucet repair parts.

Topper

Flashaholic*

jtivat is selling Nyogel 779zc for O-rings in the BST non-lights. Radio Shack has a silicone lube that I read about in one of the ARC threads and I am sure jcciv sells the Nyogel for O-rings and the conductive Nyogel for threads you could check with him. I do not know which one is better for waterproofing or if you really do need both. I have used the Radio Shack stuff and lost the tube so I got some from jtivat no doubt I will get some of the conductive stuff from jcciv before long. Hope that helps a bit.
Topper /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

code09

Enlightened

yeaah, the nyogel that topper talks about is great. Im not sure if i fully understand your question though. The nyogel is the same gel that surefire uses on their lights. I would not say that the nyogel "assists" in waterproofing in the sense that it enhances it. However, with the nyogel on, you're safe for 10 meters (33 ft) as surefire claims....thats my thought anyways

El_Canyon

Newly Enlightened

What's a good solvent to use in cleaning off the O-ring before relubing it?

voodoogreg

Flashlight Enthusiast

WD-40 sprayed on a towel or chammy, and run the O-ring through the WD-40 wetted towel.While in, Do a overall overall cleaning:

Use the towel or chammy, something that get's deep enough into the threads. Then after it look's relatively clean use a soft or medium bristle tooth brush (no steel brush's) and brush out the gunk and WD-40 in the threads.

Finaly use a lint free cloth to polish up. I also use another clean dry tooth brush to go over the thread's again
but i am picky about anything that that has threading.
Remember to remove O-rings before cleaning, or you may rip or tear one.
Also I have just done a quickly with the tooth brush and that's still pretty effective.
Then replace the O-ring(s) and lube up boy! VDG

code09

Enlightened

VDG, that is great advice...does that apply to the tailcaps as well? Cause sometimes the junk gets stuck in the tailcap threads, and then when the body threads are all clean, it gets dirtied again

UVvis

Enlightened

A little off topic,

Does anyone know what size Orings the Z2 and related surefires take?

Steve C

Enlightened

WD-40 is petroleum-based, and will degrade rubber O-rings over time. Same with vaseline.

The above-mentioned silicone grease is what you want. In addition to the mentioned sources, you can also find it at dive shops (ask for regulator grease), and places that sell food-handling equipment such as meat slicers. They sell it as "food-grade" silicone grease for lubricating the equipment.

A little goes a long way. I've been using it for years to lube the dampers in the rotor heads of my r/c model helicopters, as well as my flashlight O-rings.

chmsam

Flashlight Enthusiast

VoodooGreg's sugestion is great. I'd add only a few things in the thought that a gentle start is best. These should be available in the local supermarket or stuffmart-type place -- use a toothbrush for babies (should have 'em either with the reg. ones or with the infant stuff in the store) and use an very fine emory board (look in the cosmetic section or steal one from your wife/gf).

<font color="red">As Voodoogreg said, I forgot to mention to be sure to thoroughly wipe down the light if you use a toothbrush, emory board, or anything before you lube the threads and/or o-rings. </font>

Have you searched for info on silicon lubes? There have been several other threads on this topic.

The_virus

Enlightened

Steve C is correct. You can use whatever you want (within reason) to clean the body of the flashlight, like a toothbrush and WD-40, but you shouldn't use anything except silicone grease on the o-ring itself.

Silicone grease is found in the plumbing section of a hardware store, as previously mentioned. Another good place is a dive/SCUBA store. It can come in a slim round case that kinda looks like lip balm, and should not be expensive at all.

Pydpiper

Flashlight Enthusiast

I just got home from Home Depot, they had a silcone lube in the plumbing section as you fellas had said.

voodoogreg

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
Steve C said:
WD-40 is petroleum-based, and will degrade rubber O-rings over time. Same with vaseline.

The above-mentioned silicone grease is what you want. In addition to the mentioned sources, you can also find it at dive shops (ask for regulator grease), and places that sell food-handling equipment such as meat slicers. They sell it as "food-grade" silicone grease for lubricating the equipment.

A little goes a long way. I've been using it for years to lube the dampers in the rotor heads of my r/c model helicopters, as well as my flashlight O-rings.

[/ QUOTE ]

True but it's not on long enough to do affect it. ( I guess I should add i wipe the O-ring down after cleaning either with a wet cloth or running water and dry it off.)

Yes, I do the tail cap same way.

Also, some light's are tight enough a lubed O-ring will rotate in it's slot, so i lube the whole ring before putting it on. a O-ring that turn's in the slot will wear out on the inside too just as much as the top, so doing this will avoid that
Most of the high end light's use nitrile(sp) for O-ring's and shoudn't be affected by petrolium based lube's, cleaner's etc. But still a good idea to wipe the O-ring and all other part's clean.

I am not sure about an emery board, no matter how fine, they
can leave debris. I use a extra fine board on my right hand nail's (i am a guitarist, many picking techniques involve using your nails and a flat pick) and have seen the piece's come off the backing.

I have never had a conductive lube improve the brightness
of a light, your better off cleaning then lubeing, using the lube sparingly of course, then cleaning contact's with caig product's. Deox-it and pro gold do make a pretty visable difference. VDG

Anglepoise

Flashlight Enthusiast

All I know for sure on this subject is that most 'silicone' 'O' ring lube is dialectic or non conducting. That's electrical non conducting so you do not want to get any of that stuff on switch contacts or the threads if they conduct the ground current as so many do.

Also WD 40 is very dialectic. I have seen fully charged car
batteries fail to turn the starter motor due to WD 40 on the terminals.

Topper

Flashaholic*

This has been helpful for me but Im still confused abit.
If I put on both the conductive is bound to get on the O-ring when you screw it on Right??If all is well with the light then I can stick with the O-ring stuff and not care if its in the threads, so if all I had was the conductive
nyogel will it harm the rings?? Thanks for any more info on this.

jtivat

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
Topper said:
This has been helpful for me but Im still confused abit.
If I put on both the conductive is bound to get on the O-ring when you screw it on Right??If all is well with the light then I can stick with the O-ring stuff and not care if its in the threads, so if all I had was the conductive
nyogel will it harm the rings?? Thanks for any more info on this.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope the 759G is safe for O-rings as well. The only reason I like the 779zc for the O-rings is that it is much thicker and gives twist tail caps a better feel IMO.

Topper

Flashaholic*

Thanks JT, thats what I was thinking just not sure.