Anyone else need 25/30 lumen lamp for SF 6P/G2 ??

chuck4570

Enlightened
While moving to and from my stand during deer season, I use my E2o with a 25 lumen lamp (not to bright, but perfect for the job), but I find the size a bit small for use with a gloved hand in cold weather. I think a 25/30 lumen lamp for my 6P/G2 lights would be great, the P60 and P61 lamps are just to bright in this situation, and I am sure that there are other situations where a lower lumen lamp would be better for people who prefer the larger light. anyone agree drop Surefire a line.

sween1911

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Anyone else need 25/30 lumen lamp for SF 6P/G2

You could potentially get a battery spacer, and run an R30 (3P lamp - also used in 3V handgun weaponlights) with a single SF123 battery. Of course, that paves the way for accidentally using two batteries and blowing the 3V lamp if you're not careful.

UVvis

Enlightened

I have two options I use for this purpose.

First off, the KL3 heads are great for this use, they might be just a tad to bright though (they are for me), especially with snow on the ground. The big advantage here is that if you are late into the evening in your hunt and are sucessful, you can carry a bezel and lamp like a P60 that is super bright for those late night downed deer hunts. Plus my KL3 runs for probably around 5 hours at a pretty bright setting, then it has a few hours of pretty useful light. I run mine mostly on a C3 or 6P+a19 body. It is probably my most useful camping/hunting light for runtime/light output/weight. Plus it is easy to grab.

Next is the lowly minimag, though small for gloves. They are so cheap in the US that loosing one isn't a big deal.

LightObsession

Flashlight Enthusiast

The Streamlight Jr. LED puts out about 25 to 30 lumens and cost about $30 + shipping and is a little longer than a mini m@g and runs regulated on 2AA alkaline for about 80 minutes, rechargeables (longer run time) or some even use lithium AA primaries. I'ts not a mod to your existing light, but about the same cost or less. There are plenty of threads on this light.

dougmccoy

Enlightened

Not wishing to offend you Chuck but why bother with trying to get Surefire to waste their time and efforts with a pointless exercise? The whole point of the G2 and other 2 cell lights by SF is to provide as much light as possible. The E2o was a limited appeal light and has now been dropped from the Surefire line up for a LED light anyway. I imagine the L1 would be the most useful for your uses, although expensive. The competition make low output lights which are worthy contenders for your use and I'm sure Surefire will see it this way!

Doug

chuck4570

Enlightened

Thanx everybody for your opinions, you have really pointed something out to me. It looks as though the manufacturers of high tech quality lights are going in the direction of LED's, they do have more versatility. It was just wishful thinking on my part, I'm just a holdover to incanescent lights, I just like the depth they give, I find the LED's are a little flat in the outdoors. Looks like my ansewer is to carry 2 lights, E2o on lanyard around my neck, and my 6P on my belt.

chuck4570

Enlightened

I would like to add a question to my original from above. Would Surefires BeamShaper on my 6P offer me what I need, does anyone have experience with the BeamShaper, would this give me a less harsh light for close work, and then flip it open for full light when needed, how well do these work?

UVvis

Enlightened

I've got one of the beam shapers, they are pretty nice for giving a nice glow, great for closer work as their main purpose is to scatter light. This would probably not be to bad of an option, but it might be somewhat bright. If you have any of the frosted looking plastic tape, put a few layers over your bezel to get a similar effect to see if it is what you are looking for.

I guess you could also take a sharpie to the beamshaper if you want to cut light output down a little more.