Why doesn't anyone make a good AAA keychain light?

Donovan

Enlightened
Why doesn\'t anyone make a good AAA keychain light?

Why doesn't anyone make a good AAA keychain light?
I used to have a solitaire on my keychain and loved the format but the light output was way too weak. I have used button cell lights but they start dimming too quickly with extended use. I have used a Dorcy 1AAA (a great light IMO) on my keychain but it has a weak loop that will either come off or unscrew. I know an Arc AAA would be perfect and I would LOVE to own one, but the prices are way too high to justify me purchasing one! I have heard a Peak Matterhorn is a good option but it seems kinda long for a 1AAA light? Some have also suggested the lug body AAA but I can find no pics of it anywhere! Is the lug body Peak shorter than the regular one? I wish Nuwai would add a loop (lug) to their .5 W light. With a loop it seems like it would be a great keychain light.

Donovan

Enlightened
Re: Why doesn\'t anyone make a good AAA keychain li

I am thinking about modding my solitaire to an LED. It is almost a perfect size (seems like it could be a bit shorter though) and has a strong attachment point for the loop. I have been trying to research the best path for this mod. One thing I don't want is to use button cells. I would like to stick to a AAA cell. And I don't want to spend a huge amount of dough on it either! I have read on here that an LT-1 will fit into a solitaire and will work on only 1AAA cell. Anyone try that?

gorlank

Enlightened

Donovan,
I think Peak is bringing back the lug AAA light with a single led. I'd wait for that, I can't imagine it would be much more than $35.00 for one. They are really nice lights, with the high or ultra power led. Here's a pic of the older 3 led lug body next to an Arc.

arcvesuspeak.jpg

Donovan

Enlightened

Nice! That would be perfect!
Is this the same body as the $29.95 1.5v AAA 1 LED Hi-Power Snow / with lug body under the Annamerria Dallasandra Collection on Peaks website? If so, why are they "hiding" it? I would think that should be one of their featured lights!

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast

Gerber makes the AAA/1 led Sonic. Not quite as cache as the Arc, but certainly the form factor, brightness and utility you're looking for. And it isn't 35 bucks or more, either. They sell for around 13, available in different colors. They got trashed by the legions of Arc-ites when they came out, as they aren't quite as nice (I too was one of these). But I think they get the job done.

Donovan

Enlightened

Yeah, I forgot about the dog weenie, I mean Sonic! I did read they have a similar problem as the Dorcy with the tailcap unscrewing.... Is the new Gerber version any better/worse than the old CMG version?

davidra

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
Donovan said:
Is this the same body as the $29.95 1.5v AAA 1 LED Hi-Power Snow / with lug body under the Annamerria Dallasandra Collection on Peaks website? If so, why are they "hiding" it? I would think that should be one of their featured lights!

[/ QUOTE ]

That is the same body. I don't exactly understand why they've got them categorized like that (something to do with charity donations), but yes, it will be exactly what you're looking for. I personally really like the 3 LED head Peaks, and you can get them on Ebay from JCCIV, but they have the longer body. Mine has the lug body, and it's the perfect light. I like it better than my Arc, actually, because it has more throw and is brighter. Doesn't have as much flood, but that's OK with me.

chrisse242

Enlightened

I can't say it often enough. If you havn't seen the regular peak body, try it. I think the unscrew-feature is great. Tailstandig ability, easy to remove from keychain. To have an arc aaa that will be as easy to remove, you'll have to add a miniclip or something like this - voila, longer than the peak body and still no tailstanding. I'd never go back to the lug-style-body.

Chrisse

gorlank

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
Donovan said:

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the body type should be the same however these Peaks were in the discontinued section around December of last year. They sold out quite fast. The two Annamerria Dallasandra lights are both out of stock, when you put them in shopping cart, they read quantity zero.

This was posted by Dallas on the Peak area on March 10th.

Got more good info for you…. FINALLY AGAIN! As requested we will be selling the New style Lug AAA Next week, also we have added one more version of it as well the Pocket version. All these units will be available next week.

markdi

Flashlight Enthusiast

I have a micro illuminator I really like it

it is a little big for a key chain light

LightObsession

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
Phaserburn said:
Gerber makes the AAA/1 led Sonic.

[/ QUOTE ]

Isn't the Sonic was AA not AAA?

LightObsession

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
GarageBoy said:
Thats the Infinity

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, ok. Thanks GarageBoy.

voodoogreg

Flashlight Enthusiast

I do wish peak would just put up the lug body AAA, with an ultra power LED head and just sell it. From what I have gleened here @ CPF, it's there intellectual property anyway, and just don't see the reason for not doing a redux on this light. (unless it's the current legal problems affecting $ flow, or to avoid possible past issue's with mag ARC had)

I also think there in a great position for a better light with some of the new 5mm super LED's coming on line. VDG

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast

I would love to see one with a regulated 26Kmcd LED. After I started playing with the little beasts in keychain LEDs, I just can't go back, which is a waste since I have an Arc and an Infinity Ultra. They are regulated, as opposed to the direct drive in the keychain LEDs.

If someone would come up with a nicely regulated single-AAA 26K solution, ah, that would be perfect.

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
KevinL said:
If someone would come up with a nicely regulated single-AAA 26K solution, ah, that would be perfect.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed.

The_virus

Enlightened

nerdgineer, another member here at CPF posted a really good idea for solving the Dorcy 1AAA problem of them unscrewing or screwing down and comming on in your pocket.

nerdgineer suggested buying a small piece of aquarium rubber hose from your nearest hardware store. His estimate priced it at 69 cents per foot. Then just cut a small length long enough to slide over the tailcap and overlap onto the main body about a quarter inch. This rubber sleeve will now prevent the cap from moving on it's own, and it shouldn't make it that much harder to use...it's only rubber tubing.

I think this is a fantastic idea, and at a total cost of 69 cents (assuming you cannot buy less than a foot) it's definitely worth a shot! Just make sure to take your Dorcy with you and find the correct size that fits snugly.

d'mo

Enlightened

FWIW, I make a AAA luxeon light. PM me if interested.

koala

Flashlight Enthusiast

I made an AAA light with 26KCd LED plus ARC circuit. Bezel is ARC HA3 NAT and Peak Solutions HA3 BLACK ARCAAA type body/tail. I have heaps of parts /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif.

The bezel has to be bored/drilled to fit the 26KCd LED because it is slightly bigger than the Nichia LED. One ugly hybrid but works like a champ.

arcaaa-26k.jpg

arcpeak1.jpg

arcpeak2.jpg

Apart from this legendary-hard-$$$-to-get-light I have also ordered some 1AAA flashlight from ebay. They should be here after easter hols. Then I'll do a review on them with 26KCd LED mod. Here's the ebay link.