NEW MICRO-LUX LENS FOR LUXEON EMITTERS

tonyb

Enlightened
Well here it is, I cannot keep it a secret any longer, yes there is a much smaller optic out there and I have it. The original optic is entirely too large for my tastes in modification and original designs, so I came up with this, an acrylic lense, which measures aprrox. 8mm diam. by 6.4 mm high, with about the same pattern as the nxo5 optic but more even beam. I will make different lenses for different flashlights i.e. spot, flood, adjustible. I'll try to download beam shots soon.
microlux.jpg

Bushman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Keep it coming we ALL are looking for different ways to collimate the Luxeon star!!!

Nerd

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would really not mind a 1AA LS with this lens and a 1 hour run time. Heatsinking would be an issue? Ops.. I only have a BB500 for a hand warmer so I don't really know how cool it is when driven at spec.

r2

Enlightened
I don't think a single AA can drive a LS at spec--it just can't deliver that much current. The 1AA Arc LS proves that it can provide a pretty good underdriven light, though. I don't think heat would be an issue and runtime can even be pretty decent (a couple hours?). All designs I've seen so far have used the NX05 optics, though, so they end up being kind of big. A HD LS could be pretty good even without optics (see the current discussions going on about how useful flood lights are). It would be significantly more light than an Ultra but about the same size. Only downside would be a shorter runtime, but it would still be pretty decent.

- Russ

Nerd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Let's do a bit of calculation and someone tell me if I go wrong somewhere k?

1 watt LS = 3.2 volts x 350ma = 1.12 watts.
Converter efficiency = 80% average. So to get 1.12 watts out, you need 1.4 watts from the battery.
1.4 watts = Either 1.4 volts x 1 amps (which doesn't happen most of the time with Ni-Cds or Ni-Mh because they cool down to 1.3 volts. With alkalines, the 1.5 volt should drop to 1.4-1.3 volts very very quickly. In the end, we get a average of 1.2 volts x 1.16 amps. More amps as time flies. When we get to 0.9 volts under load... you are drawing 1.5 amps.. Something which the battery can't keep up for long.

Either way, Rechargable batteries are of 1500mah - 2100 mah nowadays. I don't see a problem with forcing 1.5 amps out of them at all. That's not even 1C (C does nto refer to current, C = Battery's capacity). A one hour run time followed by running the LS with 20-30 ma of current drawing maybe 50 ma of current is perfectly alright.

Someone tell me if anything is wrong with my equation? I think a AA should run a LS @ spec for 1 hour straight and with maybe 3 hours of 20ma nichia like light. Lithiums should perform even better. Alky is going to be the worst... I don't think you can get 1 hour of light when using a Alky, but who knows...

Rooster

Newly Enlightened
I like Nerd's thinking here. NiMh AA's seem like a natural choice for this size and tyoe of light, especially considering the run time. Maybe a LiIon 3.7 v AA size battery could be put to good use in this design. It would need a driver capable of handling the higher voltage input, but I'm sure one of the electronics wizards around here has an answer for that up his sleeve(s)!

Denny Francisco

Newly Enlightened
tonyb,

Cool optics dude! I, too, wanted a smaller optic and simply cut off a few millimeters of the face of the NX-05, sanded with consecutively finer grits, and rubbed with plastic polish for a few minutes to make it as shiny as the original. Then I added a Madmax regulator, a lithium CR2 battery, and a tiny clickie, and inserted it into a 2 1/4' X 3/4" lipstick tube for a miniature pocket blaster, Arc LS-like, for a decent price. Sorry no photo capabilities yet...coming.

The project for a blinding pocket light continues....

Would love to have one of your tiny optics--Denny Francisco

tonyb

Enlightened
The optic was hand made its not very precise, though I think it gives decent results. It's basically like the optic that is at the front of a normal T1-3/4 led, a lens supported some distance away from the emitter. I,ll make 3 more to give away for testing to the first 3 who ask for one . Denny Francisco e-mail me ([email protected] )your address I'll send you one for testing.

Slick

Flashlight Enthusiast
SWEEEEEET !
icon14.gif
icon14.gif
Now I can do that Luxeon pen-light mod I've been contemplating...
grin.gif

gewe

Newly Enlightened
Originally posted by B@rt:
Would it matter if I'm overseas?
confused.gif
I'd love one too.
cool.gif
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">From my point of view you are not overseas
smile.gif

May I ask where you get your Luxeon Stars?

r2

Enlightened
That sounds great! I think we're all eager for some more information. Maybe this would make an Infinity Ultra-sized LS light (brightness and runtime like the 1AA Arc LS) possible with a decent beam?

- Russ

pjenkins00

Newly Enlightened
if you can spare another one i'd like one. that's really cool you offering them like that. i'll email you my address if you give me the ok on that.
thanks,
Pete

curvie

Newly Enlightened
If anyone has seen the V1 Moon-Lenser by Zweibruder, I would imagine it looks the same. It has a very neat beam and throws a good distance.

cheers,

Victor

B@rt

Flashaholic
*Update*
I just got my optics from tonyb.
cool.gif
icon14.gif
Efcharisto!
wink.gif

First impression: very nice work!

The kit consists of one lens, with an 8 mm diameter, and an aluminum spacer for the low dome emitter, and a diameter of 7.9 mm.

The spacer is polished on the inside for optimal refraction.
icon14.gif

The beam seems to be wider than with the NX05 optics.

For the High Dome Luxeons, a larger spacer is needed... depending of the distance of the optics towards the Luxeon, the beam varied between unfocused, a clear "grill" grid, and a relative smooth square beam

It's sunny here at the moment, so, I can't give very accurate findings...
frown.gif
tongue.gif

I hope to try it out tonight though...
winkie.GIF
grin.gif

Latest posts