How to ship something insured to Europe?

Spacemarine

Enlightened
Hi,

I have a problem. I've a friend in the USA who want's to send me an ARC LSH to Germany. He sent me something before, but the package got opened and arrived empty.

Since we don't the want the Arc to get stolen this time, I'd like insured shipping, but every insured shipping option so far was very expensive.

Do you know any inexpensive shipping method which is insured to about 30 Dollars? I know that the Arc is worth much more, but I'd also have to pay a lot of taxes then. Or is there perhaps another way to avoid theft?

matt_j

Enlightened
Airmail Parcel Post from United States Postal Service is $20 with $200 insurance...

I would go that route since I was very lucky so far...
other way which is almost temper proof but expensive is using ups but that is about $60 based on Berlin delivery.

COMSEUR

Newly Enlightened
hmm, maybe declare as birthday gift or such, so you might get around customs better? Then insure the "gift"?
I'm getting something per FedEx from CONUS right now, very nice tracking they have. Don't know the cost tho.

matt_j

Enlightened
if ya wanna cheat the customs and declare something as a gift with low value you cant get an insurance for the actual cost of the item. If you declare item as a gift with real value and insure it as such you will pay the customs that corespond to that value. I know there is a cut off point and it used to be that under $99 you didn't pay duties but I don't know the law anymore.

Spacemarine

Enlightened
I'm sorry, I think wasn't clearly enough.

With "which is insured to about 30 Dollars?" I meant that I'll declare the value to 30 Dollars and only want an insurance that covers these 30 Dollars, not the real value.

I know that in the case of theft I only get the 30 Dollars, but who is going to steal something worth 30 Dollars if he knows that the item is sent via registered mail and that the insurance is going to to some investigations about it? It would be much easier to steal someting uninsured and unregistered.

Isn't there an insurance that is inexpensive when covering low values or that only covers theft and not damage?

LitFuse

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd be inclined to forget the insurance completely, and just use GPM. Packages under 1# don't technically even need a customs declaration, and I would not fill one out. For $5 in shipping charges, the odds are greatly in your favor that you will receive your package without incident.

Peter

kitelights

Flashlight Enthusiast
Insurance for USPS Airmail to Europe is not expensive, but be aware that the maximum that will paid for loss is $40.45 regardless of how much you insure it for.

Pretty stupid, huh? I've got a pending claim on a package now that was sent to Singapore and lost that was insured for $82.00. After I filed the claim I received a letter from International Claims and Inquiries acknowledging the claim and case number and informing me that it is a lengthy process. They also state that the maximum amount paid for any packages shipped other than to Canada is $40.45.

We will also receive the shipping charges less the insurance amount.

ksbman

Flashaholic*
[ QUOTE ]
LitFuse said:
Packages under 1# don't technically even need a customs declaration, and I would not fill one out.

[/ QUOTE ]

" Letter-post items weighing 16 ounces or more, and all potentially dutiable items regardless of their weight, require the applicable customs forms."

Which means letters or documents under a pound don't require a customs forms, your flashlight will.

See here.

Airmail Parcel Post and Global Express Mail (EMS) are the only ways to have a package insured. Airmail Parcel Post insurance is what you declare. EMS has a minimum of $100 insurance for free, but that's because it is expensive to use.

Airmail Letter Post and Global Priority Mail offer no insurance.

I would use Airmail Letter Post, and send it 'Reistered' if you're afraid of it getting stolen again.

Use this calculator for more info.