I hate working out

matt_j

Enlightened
Not that I love to stay in shape but freaking workouts are boring. Jesus. MP3s don't help. Even Rocky's motivational music gets annoying after 15 min. Got any ideas on how to keep workouts interesting?

CroMAGnet

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree totally that workouts are boring. They sometimes get better when you develop a habit. I recommend doing something fun that you enjoy. I like racketball and cycling and they are not usually boring and mostly very fun and entertaining. Mountain biking in the dirt and rain or under a conopy of trees in the hot summer or a road ride with a big group. Lots of groups meet at various bike shops around the country on varoius days for 5, 10 20 50 mile rides. Those a good too. Can be expensive if you don't have a decent bike. Also need shoes, gloves and helmet plus bottles and powerbars. Oh and Lights! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif for night riding. That can be fun but I stay away from roads as much as I can. Off road trails are safest.

Tennis and racketball and squash have leagues and round robin challenges or tournaments. Those are fun or just a few people a couple times a week at lunch or in the mornings. Rackets can be under $100 plus a membership about $35/month. Simple clothes decent running shoes and eye protection.

Good Luck

matt_j

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
kongfuchicken said:
Doing it with a buddy in a "friendly" competition over who'll be buying who an ice tea?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah we tried that and ended up in a pub after every workout. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

jtr1962

Flashaholic
Boring is exactly the reason why the only kinds of exercise I find interesting enough to do on a regular basis are cycling and walking. I see scenery and have a destination to get to rather than just counting reps on some machine. I'd say do something where the main goal is something else and the physical activity is just incidental. Biking, walking, hiking are some examples. Even gardening, especially if you do a lot of digging, can provide good exercise without the attendent boredom of exercising for it's own sake. If you have an interest in certain sports, then that's another good way to regularly exercise but I find two problems in that area personally. First of all, most sports require someone to play with, so that may mean not being able to do them consistently. Second, I find actually playing most sports rather boring since the context is rather contrived and they tend to get repetitious.

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
I hate it, too. For me, aerobics are the worst. (most boring)

I often end up wondering, is this going to make my life longer, or is it just going to make my life seem longer? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Try anything to bust it up and make it different.

turbodog

Flashaholic
I've gotten halfway addicted. I miss it if I don't go. But I've got a goal to work toward..... staying in peak shape for the summer races.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
Indoor workouts are incredibly boring for me. TV only helps a little. Bicycling is much better 'cause I get to see and hear the scenery.

greenLED

Flashaholic
I try to stay outdoors: I run, it gets me places. On the other hand, when I swam (long time ago) I pretty much got into zen mode and it was as if I could go forever...

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast
I watch tv when I do it. Try getting satellite radio, they make portable units and listen to cnn or some news station, talk show, etc.

Of course, the alternative is to eat less so you dont need to burn it off, but you will loose your tone after a few weeks.

My reward is knowing walking is easier and easier to do every day, plus I like my legs to be slightly sore and rock hard. I took a few days off and found my legs lost that feel, both in firmness and the feeling that I could feel every fiber in them.

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
Work out as in aerobic or weight lifting? If it's aerobic, well yeah I agree, I think about thigns when on a treadmill sometimes and try to sort things out and zone out...

If it's lifting weights, then you're just not enjoying it period. For me I like it because I get to release frustrations and I know I'm getting stronger!

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast
I do agree, the weights are a bit more taxing than just petaling. Althought I like the way my arms look in the morning.

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I really have to motivate myself to go to the health club in the winter time, despite being a half mile away. I go in fits and spurts. I try to tell myself that today is the day that pretty braless girl is going to be on the treadmill beside me!

matt_j

Enlightened
Well I found a new hobby in the gym and it is to watch guys trying to hit on girls and showing off. So during last workout on the mill I was listening to bunch of these conversations. Oh my god. It was so funny. A guy was standing next to me huffing and puffing and stretching, showing off like he just finished lifiting while he haven't touched a weight for 45 min. He was telling girl half his age how pretty she is and how powerful her legs are hinting that the corvete outside may give her a ride back home. Poor girl didn't want to be impolite and was trying the best to ignore the guy but he kept comming on. So I was thinking that maybe this was an exception but it seems picking up girls in the gym is fav activity of some guys out there. But not for nothing braless girl doing baywatch run next to me would be a nice motivation.

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Matt I think the idea of picking up girls at a health club is a bit of a misnomer. First of all a lot of the girls I see there (guys too) are there because they need to be and don't look like the people in the Jamie Lee Curtis movie, "Perfect". Also most of the ones I see are pretty intense on their workout and often times are wearing walkmans and earbuds. This is from what I see out on the floor, maybe it's different if taking an aerobics or other exercise class in a room.

Only once have I seen a pretty girl who happened to be braless and she was wearing a white tanktop to boot. This was like ten years ago.

DaGeek

Enlightened
Not a bad idea but than again I not a member of any gym. So working out by myself in the Basement is very boring!!!

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wished I had a gym half a mile away from where I lived. I just have a weight kit, elliptical cross trainer and a recumberment bike in my living room.

Well, I dont know what to tell you to get you to moving. If you eat less when you dont work out, you should be able to maintain your size and or weight, but you will loose some tone in your body.

Maybe you need to be more intense when you ever start back working out so you get better results? I do it as hard as I can long as possible til I can barely petal or step. It takes me ten minutes of resting afterwards to be able to get the energy up to move again. Feels great.....

cognitivefun

Enlightened
I've been working out 3 years or so here at home. I do anaerobic stuff mostly, and also specialized stretching to improve posture. I can honestly say I'm in the best shape of my life even though I spend very little time working out.

I always have trouble getting started. But once I do, I continue. By the end I'm happy that I did it and I love the feeling of being good-sore for a few days afterwards.

At home I primarily use a shrug bar, a dipping station, and fixed dumbbells from 4 pounds to 90 pounds depending on what I am doing. These days I'm more concerned with perfect form than anything else. My heavy duty excercise is the shrug bar and dips. When I started I couldn't dip and I couldn't lift more than 60 pounds on the bar. Now I am in the very low 300s. My aim is to work out properly so that my workouts improve my posture not just my strength, and not get hurt. It's working.

AngelEyes

Newly Enlightened
Wait till you see some guys trying to pick up some other guys especially those in real tight shorts.... that'll wake you up - haha!