Surefire L4..finally got one to call my own...

GarageBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Saved up for a few months for one of these. FINALLY got one. PERFECT beam and workmanship...Thanks guys!

xpitxbullx

Flashlight Enthusiast
Congrats on a fine choice of a flashlight. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/clap.gif

If you get a single cell tube (E1e and a rechargeable 123, you can have the same output in a smaller package (TW4).

Jeff

GarageBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I haven't kept it on for a long time yet. Hoping to save up for a Sandwich next and a 2 stage flattop after. I love this size. Better than the L2's long girth. An Aleph 1 should complement it later..(how does the L4 beam compare to the Aleph 2?)

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
My brother has one and Ill tell you what, that mug illuminates! If your power ever goes out, all you need is an L4 and it'll light up any room. It is a great light and it enables you to see everythng around you. Good choice!

-David

14C

Enlightened
Congrats...try it on an Eie body (TW4 configuration) or a VG FB1. I have run them on both and it still amazes me. I wish I had a rechargable CR123 setup.

Joseph

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
14C said:
Congrats...try it on an Eie body (TW4 configuration) or a VG FB1. I have run them on both and it still amazes me. I wish I had a rechargable CR123 setup.

[/ QUOTE ]

You better! RCRs give you full brightness in full regulation! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Joseph

14C

Enlightened
Yeah, I know...right after a new water pump for my bronco, a new pair of glasses, a new TV to replace the Sony 32" that blew up, a new garbage disposal, a good steam cleaning of my carpet, cordless phone battery, vacuum cleaner belt...ad infitum. At least I could afford some Guiness for St. Patrick's day.

Joseph

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
GarageBoy said:
Tried it in a Ele with a semi drained battery...dim..

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. You have to get a Rcr123 to get full brightess in TW4 set up, otherwise it will be dimmer than original L4 with two CR123s.

14C : good luck! I'm sure there gonna be much better Rcrs with much higher capacity and protection, then. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Robban

Enlightened
Congrats. I was pretty happy with mine aswell although I would've prefered a slightly less green tint :/ Oh well.

X33

Enlightened
I just got one as well and really love the flood beam. Has to be seen to be believed. As for the green tint, it makes my TriStarPhazer look clean white /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif

X33

Enlightened
Just got my McE2S two stage switch from the Shoppe. I find the switch turns a bit too easily on the end of the light. I'm worried its gonna switch on in the pocket. Is there an easy fix for this? I was thinking of a few rounds of plumbers teflon tape round the threads. Any better ideas? thanks

X33

Enlightened
If you are referring to the resistance, I went with 30 Ohm in the end. Black standard McE2S. Will see what the dual output is like tonight.

luxlover

Banned
x33,
Don't worry! Luxlover has got you covered....
So far, the best method I have found to guarantee keeping an L4 or any similar type of light in lock-out mode before storing it, is to hold the switch button in and unscrew the bezel a "pinch" until the light goes out, and then unscrew it a "hair" more. No matter what happens in a pocket, the light cannot come on.

As for the loose fitting threads, did you buy the McE2S switch with a tailcap, or place the switch inside an existing tailcap? May I assume that your o-ring is applying enough pressure on the inside of the tailcap? Is there any reason that the tailcap should not snugly thread on the body? You may want to investigate this matter further, since I have many SF lights with various tailcap sizes, and they all fit snugly. In the meantime, if you want to place a small strip of teflon doping tape to keep everything secure, make sure that it doesn't migrate and cover the leading edge of the battery tube where the pc board of the switch makes contact with it. Good luck!

sgtlmj

Newly Enlightened
I've got an Aleph 1x123 power pack on the way. I'd planned on being able to switch from KL1 to KL4 heads depending on my needs. Which Pila works in the single 123 setup? Just the standard 123s? Will I be able to power the KL1 head like this also?

X33

Enlightened
Thanks luxlover! I bought the complete McE2S switch with a tailcap. I couldn't get any teflon tape today and it also occurred to me since, that the tape might interrupt the electric circuit. What I've done for now is, that I took off the O ring and put some electrical tape into the cleaned groove before putting the O ring back over it. That is extending the O ring a tiny bit and increases the pressure on the inside of the tailcap. As you mentioned. I think thats what the reason was. cheers