HDS Basic 60. My thought's after 3 1/2 weeks

voodoogreg

Flashlight Enthusiast
HDS Basic 60. My thought\'s after 3 1/2 weeks

I got my basic 60 roughly 3-4 weeks ago. after a few days I then had to leave for GB and Europe to do a 2 1/2 week tour. That was a perfect way to field test the light in my working environment.

Before i left i had used the light a good bit, being a "basic" it was easy to learn the UI, four levels with five way's of accessing them.
I am most impressed with this light. it has become
my main light for most thing's, esp in situation's were a light is called on for mutiple tasks, (bright, long throw, to medium level, good for navigating stair's to stage's and
double checking stage equipment, very dim for reading or checking your watch or cell/PDA in a hotel or bus without waking other tired grumpy band mates.

the quality is the best i have ever had in a light. finish is top notch, the LED and reflector is centered perfectly,
the thread's are clean running, and the switch is easy to activate with a short throw and great tactile feel.
you get the feeling that everything on it was designed for a purpose, from the wire battery holder, to easy replacement of the len's, a body shape/waist cut that invite's all the popular grip's for operation, weather it's cigar, palm/thumb style, or index finger on button/w thumb/middle/ring finger's supporting body, and perfect knurling that is agressive enough to keep the light totally
secure while operating, yet not so sharp that it would saw up cloth's or holster's. I use the clip end with a small split ring for lanyard use.

The light produced is pure white, and has a great beam, with lot's of throw, good spill and very smooth looking. in fact till i tried it against known light's i wasn't sure it was as bright as i expected, but indeed it is. It's just so smooth and pleasing beam wise you miss how bright it is it at first. I was able to light up a back wall in a 9K-12K
seat theater i played in, don't know how far away the wall was in ft but it wasn't close!

It truly exceeded my expectation's, and i intend to get an ultimate 60 soon.
any minus's? I would prefer the primary brightness to be
higher, closer to say a LS arc, but that is something that I can do with the ultimate, and it really is personal preference nothing to do with the light.

This light is real winner, and I think it was executed so well, and perform's so good it will be pretty timeless.
Great job Henry! VDG

NikolaTesla

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: HDS Basic 60. My thought\'s after 3 1/2 weeks

Dang I have an Ultimate on order. Now I am drooling. Have to bug Henry and see how far up the list I am.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/help.gif

NikolaTesla. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Been using QIII as EDC during long wait... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

karlthev

Flashlight Enthusiast

I just received an ultimate and, I couldn't be any more pleased!!! Great, great light!!

voodoogreg

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
NikolaTesla said:
Dang I have an Ultimate on order. Now I am drooling. Have to bug Henry and see how far up the list I am.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/help.gif

NikolaTesla. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Been using QIII as EDC during long wait... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, your tom! henry said something about giving me your
ultimate you reserved /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif just kidding, your gonna
love it!

Just 10 mins ago the postman brought my pelican 1010 case and pick and pluck foam and twenty more 123 batt's from batt station. I am gonna put togather a case for my HDS with 2-3 spare batteries. will be easy and quick to toss it in my music equipment gear bag or suit case so i don't forget it and keep it safe.
Since it's my most versatile light with it's four level's, and If I only bring one light it's the one. VDG

HID

Newly Enlightened

Thanks for the review VDG. Hope that you will start a trend, and more ppl will post some of their thoughts on the light now that it's been out for a little while.

I'm still waiting on mine, but I confirmed almost 2 weeks ago, and that seems about the amount that most wait before getting a ship notice. I'm looking forward to it.

bhds

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
voodoogreg said:
I would prefer the primary brightness to be
higher, closer to say a LS arc, but that is something that I can do with the ultimate

[/ QUOTE ]

Interesting. I was contemplating getting the Basic 60 also but I just read the owners manual and "primary" is only 10 lumens? The only way to get full brightness is either by pressing and holding the switch or double clicking and pressing? If that is correct, Seems like a lot of excess monkey motion to get full brightness /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

powernoodle

Flashlight Enthusiast

I'm still waiting on my EDC (heh), but I suspect that the 10 lumen primary setting is a pretty good compromise between output and runtime. I agree that the switch is going to get a lot of use, however, but everyone who has fondled an EDC seems to think that the switch is robust.

Hey, we are all going to be taking dirt naps sooner or later, so go ahead and spring for an Ultimate while you still can if you think you'll want to customize the settings. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

best regards

Lebkuecher

Flashlight Enthusiast

I got mine yesterday and I can't keep my hands off of it. It's hard for me to choose between the LSH-P and Ultimate 60 as my favorite. I use the twisty with my Arc and nothing I have beats it for size and power plus it was my first real light so there will always be a special place in my heart for it. With that said the Ultimate 60 is a very nice light and I'm happy to have it. Sweeeeeeet

wmirag

Enlightened

bhds,

Regarding the 10 lumens, I don't find it to be high enough, especially as much of the energy is in the hot spot. The 10 lumens setting is not enough for me to walk around outside i.e. with non-reflective surfaces. I changed my Ultimate to be a few clicks higher.

Regarding the user interface of the Ultimate, I was able to get completely comfortable with it in a half hour. Even with Auto-Lock on (which requires a triple click from "cold"), it is absolutely second nature now.

So if you worry about too low a primary setting, spend the dough now. And don't worry about the user interface.

W.

bhds

Enlightened

The "dough" isnt the problem /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif One of the main reasons I never bought an ARC4 was because of the insane amount of "user input" req to operate it. I know I know. You can lock it out, dont have to use the functions if you dont need them etc etc.
I was just so jazzed that hds was making a simplified variable output edc light. I have people borrow my lights all the time and I want them to be easy to use. Even my Aleph with 2 stage switch is very easy for most people to figure out. I dont think most people will be able to figure out click click press.
As far as 10 lumens being a good compromise of output vs runtime. The Arc puts out close to 30 lumens and does it for approx 2 hrs. Good enough for a single cell light that dissapears in the palm of your hand.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif I'll probably end up having to buy both versions.

code09

Enlightened

This is a great thread. Does anyone have any ideas for mods on the HDS?

dtsoll

Enlightened

Thanks Greg, Just hope I don't start thinkin I need one of these /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif Sounds like a great light!! Hey, btw, what band are you in or do you work for?? Just curious, been wonderin that for a while!! Later, Doug /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

voodoogreg

Flashlight Enthusiast

I will point out that the primary is bright. what may be 10 lumen's in one light may not be the same in another. HDS basic primary is pretty darn bright. But I love using a light that's really bright, so i think this is one if those thing's that is a preference not a shortcoming of
the basic 60.
Hopefully other basic 60 owner's will chime in. VDG

wmirag

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
moephiues said:
This is a great thread. Does anyone have any ideas for mods on the HDS?

[/ QUOTE ]

I have no idea if this is technically possible, but what about a replacement lense that makes the hot spot about three times wider and adds more spill? I love my light and I think it is a great solution to the EDC engineering problem - so this is not a criticism. But my personal preference for a beam shape is an L2 style. I find that, for MY every day needs, throw is rarely needed.

HID

Newly Enlightened

Henry already makes a strong diffuser and a mild diffuser that he sells on his website. I have seen pics of the strong diffuser and it's resulting beamshape on this thread. The strong diffuser fits over the end with a rubber cap. I have not seen or heard any description of the mild diffuser, but being that it's listed as part of the lens kit, I would guess that it is a lens that you can replace the normal one with. Anyway, anyone who has it, chime in an let us know. I would be curious also.

turbodog

Flashaholic

I think the minimag rubber cap will fit on the hds. This way you could put on a clear lens that has roughed up.

voodoogreg

Flashlight Enthusiast

I think i got one and a mag clear len's laying around somewhere. how do you
do the roughed up len's? light sandpaper? and how much? VDG

Freedom1955

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
powernoodle said:

Hey, we are all going to be taking dirt naps sooner or later, so go ahead and spring for an Ultimate while you still can if you think you'll want to customize the settings. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

best regards

[/ QUOTE ]

Powernoodle,

I agree, I just ordered an Ultimate 60!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

AW

Newly Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
wmirag said:

I have no idea if this is technically possible, but what about a replacement lense that makes the hot spot about three times wider and adds more spill?

[/ QUOTE ]

I am working on some double-sided coated glass lens that will give a bigger hotspot without affecting the spill. The initial observation is a 80% bigger hotspot which provides a lot better illumination for close to medium range work. The lens itself is optical grade ( cut from Japanese made eyeglass lens ). The principle is to refocus the beam by a small margin without affecting the sidespill and total output. The hotspot is still there but it becomes bigger. I 'll provide few lenses up for review after Easter. If the results are good, I 'll make them available.

wmirag

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
AW said:
[ QUOTE ]
wmirag said:

I have no idea if this is technically possible, but what about a replacement lense that makes the hot spot about three times wider and adds more spill?

[/ QUOTE ]

I am working on some double-sided coated glass lens that will give a bigger hotspot without affecting the spill. The initial observation is a 80% bigger hotspot which provides a lot better illumination for close to medium range work. The lens itself is optical grade ( cut from Japanese made eyeglass lens ). The principle is to refocus the beam by a small margin without affecting the sidespill and total output. The hotspot is still there but it becomes bigger. I 'll provide few lenses up for review after Easter. If the results are good, I 'll make them available.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll PayPal you for one as soon as they're ready!