A question of power...

3crom

Newly Enlightened
I own a Surefire E2E witha KL1 led conversion head that puts out 15 lumens,regular head puts out 60 lumans,they dont mention candlepower...now, I would like a Streamlight Strion that puts out 12.000 candle power,no mention of lumens.So..can someone tell me if the strion is near or more than 15 or 60 lumans? I'm just trying to figure out just how bright 12.000 candle power is. thanks! 3crom

thesurefire

Flashlight Enthusiast
Candle power is brightness at one point in the beam (aka lux) and lumens is the overall light output of a light. You cant really compare the numbers, but the strion should be in the range of about 70-80 lumens off a fresh charge

leukos

Flashlight Enthusiast
Compared to other SF's of known lumen ratings, I would guess the Strion to be closer to 50 lumens rather than the advertised 80 lumens, IMO. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
leukos said:
Compared to other SF's of known lumen ratings, I would guess the Strion to be closer to 50 lumens rather than the advertised 80 lumens, IMO. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea I'd have to agree. Surefire is conservative in their ratings, whereas most others tend to overrate them. (some more than others of course)

although I'm not sure but I seem to remember Streamlight proposing an industry standard way of ratiing light outputs be used, this would put the debate to rest...somewhat.

thesurefire

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Strion I saw off a fresh charge was noticably brighter then my 6P with new batteries (used maybe 3 mintues)

shifty646

Newly Enlightened
I compared the Strion to an e2e, and the e2e appears brighter at first due to a larger hotspot. Overall, if you do a ceiling-bounce test, the Strion is noticably brighter. I'd say it has ~10 lumens more than the e2e. The Strion is practically the same brightness as the P60 LA. Could not see a difference when compared to a G2.

3crom

Newly Enlightened
Okay..how about this,if you had a choice knowing what you all know..what light would you have between those 2? now this is considering light time,bulb replacement,abuse.

Dave

AFAustin

Flashlight Enthusiast
I only own the Strion, but I must say I love it. Have used it the last few weeks for nighttime critter spotting, etc., and it performs very well. Has both excellent throw, esp. for its small size, and a very nice, wide, perfectly circular, spill for illuminating the path. 70 minute runtime is plenty for my nighttime wandering, and it recharges fast. And, best of all....no expensive CR123s to buy!

thesurefire

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
3crom said:
Okay..how about this,if you had a choice knowing what you all know..what light would you have between those 2? now this is considering light time,bulb replacement,abuse.

Dave

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd take the Surefire, due to, if nothing else that they have a very good reputation about custemer service.