Can Lithiums really RUIN the P.Tec Surge? Anyone know?

brightnorm

Flashaholic
I was all set to put lithium AA's into my Surge when I saw Brightguy's warning that you must not use lithium AA's in the Surge because they "can ruin the lamp". But this is not mentioned in any advertising, or anywhere on the packaging or instructions that come with the light. Also, Gandalph has been running it with NiMH batt's and has not reported any problems (yet). Anybody know what the deal is?

Regards,
Brightnorm

Brock

Flashaholic
I would think running lithium's in the Surge would fry the lamp rather quickly. From what I have found the light is running 4 batteries in parallel with the other 4. So this is really a 6v light. When the light is on it is running about 5.3v so 8 lithium's would put it about 6.1v. Lithium's don't drop under load the way alkaline's do so that would probably overdrive the lamp to much.

I really like this light. For the average person that wants a really bright light and can't afford a Surefire, this is the light to get. Pretty good beam quality, and it uses cheaper alkaline batteries, and completely waterproof. Worth the $ for sure.

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I blew a lamp in my Streamlight Polypro 4AA in just an hour or two's usage. I strongly suspect it was the result of using lithiums.

brightnorm

Flashaholic
Thanks Brock and Geepondy,

I think so highly of the Surge that even though I own several Surefires, I may buy an additional Surge because nothing I'm aware of combines its size, brightness and, especially, burntime.

Regards,
Brightnorm

Lux Luthor

Flashlight Enthusiast
Glad to hear the raves about the Surge light since I ordered one Monday from Brightguy. Now I can't wait. Too bad they don't offer a UPS tracking number, but how long can it take to go from Ohio to New York?

mikep

Enlightened
Re: Brightguy,
If you give them a call, they can look up the tracking number for you. I am totally addicted to seeing online exactly where a package is in transit.

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by brightnorm:

I think so highly of the Surge that even though I own several Surefires, I may buy an additional Surge because nothing I'm aware of combines its size, brightness and, especially, burntime.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

How bright is the Surge compared to a Surefire. Is it brighter then an E2? How is the beam quality compared to Surefires? My non Surefire, Streamlight Polypro 4AA has horrible beam quality with multiple rings and dark spots that makes me hesitant to try Surefire alternatives.

brightnorm

Flashaholic
Geepondy,

I was surprised to see that the Surge was as bright, or brighter than all my 2x123A lithium lights:
Surefire 6P and E2, the LX Legend, the TACM-3 and Even the Asp Taclite!!!!!
Truly remarkable. This was a subjective test because I don't have a light meter. Also, the Asp Taclite(very tightly focused) may have had a slightly brighter hot spot, but the Surge's was bigger and almost as bright. This is one hell of a light; the main reason I got it was for the specific combo of brightnes, size, and RUNTIME, which I posted. It maintained its brightness to the point where, after burning steadily for 2 hours, its hotspot was slightly brighter than a Surefire E2 with fresh 123A's. I think that's pretty darn impressive!

Regards,

Brightnorm

Brock

Flashaholic
I would say the Surge falls between the P60/E2 and the P90/M3 range. For the $30 it is hard to beat for brightness and runtime. No it isn't a Surefire and won't replace any of mine.

brightnorm

Flashaholic
Brock,

It won't replace any of mine either, but if I go for a long walk at night I might take it(in its belt-mounted holster) along with either the Asp Taclite or my trusty 6P. Or I might take the Trek 1400 along with the Surge, or the Asp or 6P. CHOICES!! I love these lights and I love CPW. It's truly wonderful to find a like-minded group of very nice, civilized, intelligent, knowledgeable, OBSESSIVE FLASHLIGHT NUTS!!!!!

PS You have a great site which I've found extremely helpful.

Best regards,
Brightnorm

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
As people have posted before, it would be nice if Surefire would design a AA light to compete with some of these newly released lights but given the apparent finicky nature of the incadescent lamp and it's voltage handling characteristics, it might not be practicle. It would be nice if someone would produce a AA light designed for lithiums. Expensive batteries but at four for ten dollars at Walmart, it is on par with 123s and offers a longer runtime. Better yet would be a regulated incadescent light if such a thing is possible. I just hate the run curve of alkalines. For flashlight use, I chuck them long before they're dead.

From Craig's recent post, it looks like the Brinkmann LX is clearly brighter then an E2 and you guys say the Surge is brighter still. Mine is on the way so it will be interested to see the results myself.

Gandalf

Enlightened
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Guy Guyer:
Glad to hear the raves about the Surge light since I ordered one Monday from Brightguy. Now I can't wait. Too bad they don't offer a UPS tracking number, but how long can it take to go from Ohio to New York?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've ordered *lots* of flashlights and accessories from Brightguy. If you order in the morning, it goes out the same day; other wise the next day. They *really* work at good customer service. So your Surge may arrive before you have expected it will!
shocked.gif
cool.gif

brightnorm

Flashaholic
Geepondy,

I share your frustration re: akalines run curve, lack of AA lithium superbrighgt lights, lack of regulated incandescants, etc etc!!

Regards,
Brightnorm

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think our best bet in the long run for solving these dileminas(sp?) will be LED lights. For the near immediate future I'm thinking multiple Lexeon Star LED lights. Still the incadescent lamp has been around now for longer then the automobile so you would think it might be a more refined process by now.

PeLu

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by geepondy:
Better yet would be a regulated incadescent light if such a thing is possible.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's not only possible, it's available. Willie Hunt's LVR is built into the Headlite III for example.
When you use LiFe cells, the load on the cells will just go down (because their volatge is higher) giving an even longer runtime (compared to alkalines).

brightnorm

Flashaholic
FOR PELU
[/QUOTE]:
Originally posted by geepondy:
Better yet would be a regulated incadescent light if such a thing is possible.
PELU:
It's not only possible, it's available. Willie Hunt's LVR is built into the Headlite III for example.
When you use LiFe cells, the load on the cells will just go down (because their volatge is higher) giving an even longer runtime (compared to alkalines).
yodeling greetings out of the mountains
Peter
PELU,
Is this what you're referring to?
web page
Whether it is or isn't could you please elaborate on the batteries and regulated incandescent lights you mentioned?

Many thanks.
Brightnorm

Latest posts