Interesting "Hey! Over here!" Lights

newo

Newly Enlightened
Interesting \"Hey! Over here!\" Lights

Like a number of folks, I've nearly been picked off a couple of times when walking at night by drivers who couldn't see me, notwithstanding street lights, my use of a flashlight, and so on. It seems that a lot of elderly drivers, who are very common in Florida, don't see very well at night. In addition, I've been looking for some kind of flashing light to pack into a couple of bugout bags as a "Hey! Over here!" device, in addition to the usual whistle or other noisemaker.

I've seen a few different strings where people were discussing various blinking or flashing lights to use as safety devices when walking in dark areas at night. The consensus, to the degree that there was one, seemed to be that they are a good idea, but most of them use unusual batteries, or aren't really bright enough, or didn't have that much of a runtime.

So several days ago I was browsing the County Comm website, and came across these - portable LZ (landing zone) strobes. Since the write-up didn't specify what they used to produce light, I called and asked. They use thrystor tubes - the things used in camera flashes, certain aircraft lights, and so on. So I ordered three, two for bugout bags, and one to potentially use to walk with at night and otherwise play around with. They showed up on my doorstep a couple of days ago.

These suckers are really bright. County Comm claims that they flash about 70 X a minute. I haven't used a stopwatch to check for certain, but that appears to be correct.

In addition to the magnet you can see on the website, they also have something similar to a giant heavyweight safety pin on one side that you can use as an attachment device. The magnet is mounted on the unit with a couple of screws, and is easily removed. This is good, because the magnet is fairly heavy. Empty, but with the magnet, the unit weighs 4 3/4 oz (136 gms); without the magnet it weighs 3 3/8 oz (97 gms). The body is OD plastic (possibly ABS, or something similar), and the various screw-on lenses are very substantial. At about $20 each they are inexpensive for what they are, but they are not cheesy at all.

I had some AA to D adapters that came with a LaCrosse battery charger I bought from JS Burly's lying around. They work well in the unit with AA NiMHs, and really reduce the weight of the unit, for purposes of walking at night. Runtime with the AA NiMHs is dependent upon battery capacity, but appears to range from a few to several hours. I haven't done a formal runtime test with NiMHs, or with a D or AA alky, but have no reason to disbelieve County Comm's claimed runtime with a D.

So, if you're looking for a flashing unit that is hard to miss, and doesn't use coin cells or something else equally as obscure and hard to find, you might check these out.

CroMAGnet

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Interesting \"Hey! Over here!\" Lights

Thanks for the info. Good idea for a BOB. What are the dimensions? What other light does it compare is size or weight?

newo

Newly Enlightened

OK, just had resort to my wife's kitchen scale, and the lights I could grab the quickest.

The closest in size is an Aleph 3, 1x123, standard Aleph switch. They are almost exactly the same length, around 4 3/8". The body of the strobe, exclusive of the magnet and the pin, is the same diameter as the diameter of the A3 reflector - a bit shy of 1 3/4". The A3, with a CR123 in it, weights 4 5/8 oz., or 1/8 oz lighter than the empty strobe unit with the magnet still attached.

For additional comparison, a SF U2, with batteries, at around 6" is longer, and heavier - 5 7/8 oz. A TnC AA KeyLux is shorter - around 3 3/8", and at 2 1/2 oz is around half the weight of the strobe unit with the magnet still attached.

I'd post comparitive photos, but the site I've been using to host that stuff, and my avatar, appears to be down for bandwidth violations.

CroMAGnet

Flashlight Enthusiast

OK thanks /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif I'll get a couple for our BOBs

CroMAGnet

Flashlight Enthusiast

BTW. would work best with Lithium batteries for storage purposes. You mentioned using AA adapter. Was it 3 or 4 AA-to-D?

newo

Newly Enlightened

1AA to 1 D. It's weird. The AA sits inside of a C size adapter, which then nests into a D adapter. I don't have any spare 3 or 4 AA to D adapters. The 3 AA to D would fit. The 4 AA to D might fit, as the one I have in there is in loosely, with quite a bit of room to spare. Parallel, not series, wired, of course.

For our BOBs, I'm keeping a D primary in there, along with about 8 AAs, for various items, including the strobe, a radio, and an MJLED modded MM (in which I do keep lithium primaries), along with an AA to D adapter. I put date stamps on the batteries, and check them on New Year's Day, when I change out the battery backups in my house's smoke alarms.

I have not tried 1.7 volt lithium primaries in this unit. And there is some sort of circuitry running the thrystor. So I do not know whether that would work, or if you'll cook it.

ON EDIT: The only thing I regularly use the AA to D adapter for is the unit that I use when walking around at night, so that the oldsters can see me. A single AA NiMH runs for at least a few hours, which is longer than I'm likely to be walking. I take this approach, along with removal of the magnet on that particular unit, to reduce the weight of the item. In the BOBs, I just use the adapter as a backup - in case the D cell dies, and I can't find another, I can use an AA, and then another, and so on.

jake359

Newly Enlightened

CountyComm used to have these tiny LED strobes, with magnet mounts. If I recall, they were "strong enough to mount on a vehicle". They were similar to these . might do the trick.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic

[ QUOTE ]
newo said:
...So several days ago I was browsing the County Comm website, and came across these - portable LZ (landing zone) strobes. Since the write-up didn't specify what they used to produce light, I called and asked. They use thrystor tubes - the things used in camera flashes, certain aircraft lights, and so on.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think they meant to say that they use a solid-state thyristor (SCR) for triggering a flashtube? The only thyristor tube that I know of is the old RCA 2D21, a 7-pin miniature tube filled with argon that acted as a latching relay. The tube would glow a pretty purple when it triggered, but the light was nowhere nearly bright enough to call it a flash; it was more along the lines of a glow tube.

newo

Newly Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
PhotonWrangler said:
I think they meant to say that they use a solid-state thyristor (SCR) for triggering a flashtube? The only thyristor tube that I know of is the old RCA 2D21, a 7-pin miniature tube filled with argon that acted as a latching relay. The tube would glow a pretty purple when it triggered, but the light was nowhere nearly bright enough to call it a flash; it was more along the lines of a glow tube.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmmm. Interesting. Quite possible.

The item emitting light is tubular, about 3/4" long, by about 1/8" wide, and it in no way resembles an old fashioned vacuum tube of any size. It is set up horizontally, as opposed to vertically, on a base, below which is a sealed unit which clearly contains some circuitry. The item emitting light itself is clear, and there are some sort of metallic pins inside it, at both ends, with most of the unit being clear, and seemingly empty. The light emits from the clear, seemingly empty portion of the tubular structure, between the metallic pins. Each pin appears to be connected to a lead which goes down into the sealed portion where the circuitry lives. In addition there is what appears to be a third lead, an insulated wire of some sort, which comes up out of the sealed circuitry, and is wrapped once around the tubular structure approximately 1/8" from one end. I have no clue what this is, or what it is for.

This item definitely flashes, as opposed to glows. The light appears to be white, without any noticeable tint.

The spelling I utilized was simply my stab at it, checked via Google, based on how the man I spoke with pronounced the word, and some recollection of seeing the word spelled in association with the description of photographic flash units which could, of course, have been spelled incorrectly.

Neither is a technology with which I am particularly familiar, other than as a user of photographic flash units. The light emitted definitely resembles what I am used to seeing come from photographic electronic flash units.

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,

I've had one for years, but it never had a magnet- just the safety pin. It's a conventional zenon strobe- works just like a camera flash and repeats. Mine will run all night and then some on an alky D. Rep rate slows as the cell finally depletes.

Years ago you could buy military surplus single D-cell, incandescent marker lights that came in the same domed plastic case. My strobe came in a day-glo orange housing and I swapped it over to a U.S. Navy grey one. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Edit: I owe you a thank you, newo! I just went out and checked mine. (Bottom of camping bag/BOB, and not used for a long time.) The "copper top" had leaked, but no damage to the strobe unit itself, just the neg contact. Fortunately I had one more surplus marker light, so it has a new case. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I have 2 "flavors" of case, and both are marked "US" on the bottom. One was made by G. T. Price Products in LA, CA, and the other by Accur. ELX. in Elyria, OH.

Larry

enLIGHTenment

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
newo said:
It seems that a lot of elderly drivers, who are very common in Florida, don't see very well at night. In addition, I've been looking for some kind of flashing light to pack into a couple of bugout bags as a "Hey! Over here!" device, in addition to the usual whistle or other noisemaker.

[/ QUOTE ]

You'll be hard pressed to get the attention of the driving dead in heaven's waiting room with anything less than a flash-bang or a carbon arc light.

Mike Painter

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
newo said:
Like a number of folks, I've nearly been picked off a couple of times when walking at night by drivers who couldn't see me, notwithstanding street lights, my use of a flashlight, and so on.

[/ QUOTE ]

California until recently would not allow the use of strobes on emergency vehicles (dumb but true) make sure they are legal if you use them on the street.

I gave up wearing lights and reflective material as the common comment was "We didn't see you until we saw your legs" This was out in the country with few lights.

I now walk facing traffic (it's always light) and cross over when a vehicle approaches. In the event of two from different directions I move to the wideer side of the road.

Turning on a light seems to be more attention getting then having blinking things all over.

The_virus

Enlightened

Most folks around here get one of those bike LED blinkers and attatch them to their backpack. You can also get something like a dive beacon, UK makes one which is basically one of their 2AAA penlights with an orange cone diffuser. You could clip or hang one of those anywhere. The bike blinkers work well though, and you could also get a jacket with "invisible" reflective strips. Basically they're just reflective strips that aren't obvious during the day...they appear as bright white stripes when light is shined on them at night though, think of it like the lettering on a stop sign.

The marker beacons sound neat though, I have one like it only it's bright yellow and designed for camping. The magnet cannot be removed on mine though, since it's the base of the marker (so you can mount it on a car or any metal surface). Mine also uses AA cells by design...4 I think...haven't opened it in a while.

Generally speaking I'd say a red/orange diffuser cone on a flashlight would get more attention though, as it's constant. The UK one would also weigh a lot less.

I'll check my local military surplus for those strobes though, they sound really neat!

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast

Very cool little strobe. Perfect for cyclists! Hmmm.. uh oh, did I just talk myself into it?

Can't be seen at night with a flashlight? Maybe it isn't powerful enough.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Try the Mag2HID with 500 bulb lumens, keep it dipped out of courtesy. If all else fails, a direct shot will get their attention. The Mag2HID is a serious thrower so you can ping 'em at longer ranges too. 90 minutes of runtime, with a quick-change battery mag, if you need extra mags (whether the pun is intended or not is up to you) modamag has some /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Illuminated

Enlightened

Princeton Tec has the "Aqua Strobe" designed as a dive marker I think. Looks very small/lightweight. Pics show it has a translucent cone diffuser. Runs for something like 8-10 hours on 1AA if memory serves.

I remember seeing those 1 x D-cell strobes with the safety-pin at Lowes Home Improvement a few years back, but I can't find them any more. They were located in the Garden section indoors, and were intended for use in keeping birds or bugs away from your garden (or something like that).

I have an "Emergency Strobe-Light" branded as "Coghlan's" (inexpensive brand of camping/outdoors whatnots commonly found in many stores).

My ****'s Sporting Goods has them for $12-15, but I found mine at a Holiday gas station in northern MN for $8 last year.

This one has a yellow body, a non-detatchable magnet on bottom, a short lanyard attatched via split ring, molded strap loops on body, and came with (3) lenses (red, amber, clear). Supposedly waterproof to 50 ft, and runs on 4 x AAA's for a claimed 10 hours.

John

Rebus

Enlightened

It's not a Flashaholic solution, but
the best thing you can do is to wear
light colored clothing. How many times
have I swerved to miss some Goth dressed
totally in black including the hair.
Nothing against them, my son tends to
lean that way... but it's not too smart.

-Rebus

Reptilezs

Enlightened

if you dont want to buy a new wardrobe of bright colored clothes, you can just get one of them constuction worker vests

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic

[ QUOTE ]
Rebus said:
It's not a Flashaholic solution, but
the best thing you can do is to wear
light colored clothing. How many times
have I swerved to miss some Goth dressed
totally in black including the hair.
Nothing against them, my son tends to
lean that way... but it's not too smart.

-Rebus

[/ QUOTE ]

Amen! A Goth wardrobe walking along a dimly lit street is a recipie for disaster! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif