Cheese Talk

Flashlightboy

Enlightened
We've had coffee talk and now it's time to add to the gastronomical library of good taste.

I will admit that I'm a sucker for a good piece of cheese. Going in to Bristol Farms, Gelson's, Trader Joe's, Whole Foods or any similar place I'm just drawn to the cheese display. Like a magnet.

When it comes to specifics, I really like imported parmesaan from the consortiums of Italy. By itself or with nice balsamic vinegar it really doesn't matter. The flavor is nutty and pungent but not overpowering. Fantastic stuff.

I also respect and appreciate a good aged cheddar. Not the yellow bricks from the store but a good aged white cheddar from Cabot. A year is fine but beyond that I think the aging works against the cream flavor.

Mexican cheese is also very good especially their fresh varieties. A taco with the yellow stuff is an insult when a you can get a wonderful variety at most grocery stores. Queso Fresco, anyone?

My fav snacking cheese is a a nice Pepper Jack. Creamy and flavorful with specks of mild bite from various chilis, it's a perfect for burgers or by itself.

Anyone else?

code09

Enlightened
hmmm....interesting. Maybe you should start a cheese forum? Or is there one already? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Flashlightboy

Enlightened
Starting a cheese forum would publically qualify me as a freakazoid but discussing flashlights downgrades the weirdness quotient to mere "freakish".

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif

MaxaBaker

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sharp cheddar. I like others but plain old American Sharp Cheddar is unbeatable in my book. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Feta cheese... strong taste that is distinctive and flavorful. Thrown in some baby spinich leaves, onions, tomatoes and olive oil based Italian dressing. Ahhhh, great stuff!

Swiss cheese (the sharp kind) for that "what the heck is that" taste tingle on the tongue, mixes great with sandwiches.

For cheese to hack a hunk and knaw on, sharp chedder does it for me. Pepper Jack works in that capacity also. "Let them eat cheese".

X33

Enlightened
Maybe one day this will be a sticky....
I like the Swiss cheese and Emmental and, and....all cheese

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
I used to know the entire Monty Python cheese shop sketch by heart /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Always have a good block of real parmesan in the house, and as for aged cheddar, I buy aged white cheddar by the pound. It's fantastic stuff.

Marty Weiner

Flashlight Enthusiast
Flashlightboy

You mentioned Pepper Jack. Have you ever tasted the Pepper Jack at Smart & Final? They sell a 2 pound brick of their brand (First Street) for around $5.

It's the best Pepper Jack that I ever tasted.

flashfan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Jack, edam, cheddar...Yum!

Swiss (cheese, that is) in sub sandwiches. Now I'm hungry.

GiveMeLight

Newly Enlightened
I like most of the firm cheeses. Blue cheese, smoked gouda and edam. Pepper jack, extra sharp cheddar. Feta, swiss, and sometimes some colby. Weird huh. I like parmesan but not romano.

DaFiend

Enlightened
I'm a soft guy, camembert, brie, blue brie. had a good one today!

Deep fried camembert, served with cranberry sauce...Mmmmmmmmm.

Latest posts