wow..that give away was intense!

code09

Enlightened
That give away for the arc aa was intense! Everyone was just placing numbers, adrenelin running, server bogged down, it was quite exciting i must say! Anyone else think so?
Ragggie must be! he won it! Congrats raggie

Well, Britt deserves thanks for his generosity with his time and gifts. But I must say it was very difficult to get in to even register a number, much less to actually peruse the earlier posts to see if your number will work. I simply could not get in until it was too late, and my number was already taken. I'm sure it was hell on the server, too. Doubt Sasha will allow that kind of thing again. Raggie won? If so, that's great!

Greta

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
Doubt Sasha will allow that kind of thing again.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why do I even bother posting? It's not like anyone even reads what I post... jesus.. I freakin' give up. Do whatever the hell you guys want around here... and when the damn thing blows up or doesn't work the way you want it to, DON'T EMAIL ME... 'cuz I'll simply return the favor and not read what you write or say either.

Might I suggest that you actually go back to the threads that I locked and posted in and actually READ!!!! what I posted? ... Naw... why bother? Do what you want.

JOshooter

Enlightened
With that language, this should probably be taken to the Underground... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/poke2.gif

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
Ohhhhhhhh JO, your on thin ice pal! Can't you feel the heat?!

You know there's a time and then there's NOT a time...I'm going back under a rock!

code09

Enlightened
wow...sorry sasha...i kinda knew the give away would take a huge toll on the server...but didnt think it would take such a toll on you!

I appologize on behalf of CPF members who may have caused you this kind of stress. We know you try super hard to keep CPF a fast and lively community, and you are indeed doing a great job.

However tonight, i feel that this type of attitude you are displaying towards the kind, nice, courteous members of CPF does not fit in with the CPF community! The give away, im sure, had nothing but good intensions in mind. It made many many people happy, many including myself were excited, and i would say, some of us prolly even felt united! (at one time, i saw 76 users on that thread alone)

This is what i would say CPF does for many of us everyday, with or without give aways. Without you, we all know that CPF would not be what it is today.

I realize that many ppl may ***** and complain about the speeds of CPF, etc etc, and i would imagine it getting quite frustrating. But the way i see it, if they're not a CPF supporter, they should just STFU! After all, in a community this size, you cant please everyone!

I thought tonight was a hell of a night on CPF. Sorry you feel that CPF members arent reading your posts, but not everyone checks the LED forums, the cafe, BST, etc etc over and over to keep up with the fast paced enviroment.

That was just my 3 cents worth.

code09

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
UncleFester said:
I wish I knew what this is all about /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

This is about the give away that happened tonight under the LED forum...its all locked now, but if you read it, you'll understand!

Greta

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
moephiues said:
wow...sorry sasha...i kinda knew the give away would take a huge toll on the server...

[/ QUOTE ]

... and with the already taxed server in the evenings, you still thought this was a good idea?

[ QUOTE ]
but didnt think it would take such a toll on you!

[/ QUOTE ]

Well of course you wouldn't think of that... and neither does anyone else... because they aren't the ones who have to deal with all of the whining and bitching and moaning and flat out abuse that *I* have to deal with when the server isn't running at top speed.

[ QUOTE ]
I appologize on behalf of CPF members who may have caused you this kind of stress. We know you try super hard to keep CPF a fast and lively community, and you are indeed doing a great job.

[/ QUOTE ]

Apology accepted. However, I doubt it comes from all of the CPF members who caused the stress... I can name several who really don't give a damn at all.

[ QUOTE ]
However tonight, i feel that this type of attitude you are displaying towards the kind, nice, courteous members of CPF does not fit in with the CPF community! The give away, im sure, had nothing but good intensions in mind. It made many many people happy, many including myself were excited, and i would say, some of us prolly even felt united! (at one time, i saw 76 users on that thread alone)

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm glad you enjoyed it! There are many who didn't... because they couldn't access CPF at the time. Hell, I couldn't access it either! I had no idea what was going on... I had to go to the Underground to get the scoop... not to mention the complaints.

[ QUOTE ]
This is what i would say CPF does for many of us everyday, with or without give aways. Without you, we all know that CPF would not be what it is today.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ya know... there are just some days when I just feel like testing that theory and letting everyone just do what they want... and see what happens. No moderation... nothing. I think I'm entitled every once in awhile to get fed up and frustrated... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif

[ QUOTE ]
I thought tonight was a hell of a night on CPF.

[/ QUOTE ]

Again, I'm glad you enjoyed yourself. Many did not. Perhaps someone can come up with some other ways to have fun that don't require nearly croaking the server? I'm open to suggestions.

[ QUOTE ]
Sorry you feel that CPF members arent reading your posts, but not everyone checks the LED forums over and over to keep up with the fast paced enviroment.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well everyone was sure flooding that forum (and the server) to read (and start new) threads regarding the give-away. I posted in the threads I locked... and then someone would start a new thread. And I would post in that and lock it and someone would start another one. And you wonder why I feel that members aren't reading my posts? Again... I think I'm entitled every once in awhile to get fed up and frustrated with it all.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't sell yourself so short... it was worth at least double that... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

BC0311

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Sasha said:

Why do I even bother posting? It's not like anyone even reads what I post... jesus.. I freakin' give up. Do whatever the hell you guys want around here... and when the damn thing blows up or doesn't work the way you want it to, DON'T EMAIL ME... 'cuz I'll simply return the favor and not read what you write or say either.

Might I suggest that you actually go back to the threads that I locked and posted in and actually READ!!!! what I posted? ... Naw... why bother? Do what you want.

[/ QUOTE ]

This was all my fault.

I should have asked well beforehand for your help in figuring out how to conduct a giveaway that was fun and wouldn't have produced the problems that this one did.

The responsibility for setting this up in a way that caused the problems is mine alone.

Glad it's over. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mpr.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Britt

code09

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Sasha said:
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't sell yourself so short... it was worth at least double that... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

hahaha ok ok fine, thats my 7 cents worth /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif
Once again, thanks sasha.

ACMarina

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sasha, here's how I think it would work the best, although it may not as I have no experience with forum software.

If somebody wants to give something away in this manner, they notify a moderator or an admin. A thread is created with information and then immediately locked. Everyone could then use their own email program to email an account specifically designed for this, maybe a GMail account or something. Make it real simple, in the subject line you'd put your CPF user name and the number you guess, so you can just look at the inbox and go from there. You can just sort the emails by time you'd gotten them, and it would be really easy to see who the first one was to come up with the correct number.

If people complain that they didn't know what numbers had already been guessed so they didn't know what they should guess themselves, well, it's kinda like the lottery. Nobody knows what the other folks picked in the Powerball, either. And in this version of the lottery, whoever called it first wins. I think this idea would be as fair as I could imagine. .

This all goes on my basic idea that it would load the server less for everybody to view one locked unchanging page than it would be to have a page that changes and everybody's always looking at the differences. You wouldn't have people double/triple/quadruple posting on the same thread, and there'd be no need for them to check it until after the giveaway is over, if at all. You could just notify the winner and then trash the post completely.

Just a though, it's early and I don't know if it's even possible. .

3rd_shift

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Ya know... there are just some days when I just feel like testing that theory and letting everyone just do what they want... and see what happens. No moderation... nothing. I think I'm entitled every once in awhile to get fed up and frustrated...

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought that was already tried with cpfu?
Funny thing is that not many people seem to wanna go there now. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/evilgrin07.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon6.gif

I'm sorry this all happened to you Sasha and cpf'ers who were unable to log on. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif
I was out shopping last night when this all happened and missed it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/huh.gif

Think this should be locked too?
I'm leaning that way too now.
Moderator notified.

BC0311

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been notified by another CPFer that arrangements are being made for a site that can host giveaway contests, raffles and such.

It will handle 124 pages per second.

I've already secured another new Arc AA to give away and we'll see if it's ready in about 3 weeks or so.

Hopefully it won't be the frustrating experience last night's contest was for the participants.

Of course, it won't impact Sasha, her administrators, moderators and the rest of the membership of CPF adversely.

Britt

PS: 3rd Shift, I'd be careful about talking about CPFU on CPF. It used to be the cardinal rule not to do so and I haven't heard that being changed.

3rd_shift

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think you are right Britt.
I have not been contacted yet by anyone about it, but I'll just go ahead and fix that anyway. brb....

There, toned it down some.
Good luck on the next give-away Britt. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif
I think I just might drop in on it next time as it looks like it was a ton of fun. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Pydpiper

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
LitFuse said:
Welcome back Pyd, and watch yourself... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Peter

[/ QUOTE ]
Thanks.. I will. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleye11.gif