Inspiration from addiction to flashlights...

Polar_Hops

Enlightened
Hi guys. I quit smoking because I wanted to save money to buy a surefure l4! I always thought i'd quit for a person close to me, like a family member or a close friend, not a flashlight. Am i mentally ill?

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
Whatever it takes! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Wish I could do the same with my weight! I see quite a savings not only in cash form, but of course health wise in quitting smoking. There's incentive to save some cash for some of the GEMS that present themselves here in these halls for sure!

Trouble is, food isn't that expensive and of course I realize the health motivation is there, but it wouldn't save me that much $$ to eat healthier. Too many hours on the CPF sitting in a chair...I need to do some night jogging with some lights I guess! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Shanghaied

Newly Enlightened
It's all good, just don't tell your loved ones why you quit.

Speaking from my own experience, family and friends could be a little too understanding. I never really got enough pressure from them.

So money (or flashlight for that matter) is just as good a reason as any.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
Like Sigman says, whatever it takes. Congratulations on quitting! Of course your increased longevity from quitting smoking will allow you to enjoy your flashlights (and your family) longer! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Polar_Hops

Enlightened
You could always go back to college, or give me some money, so food would be more expensive /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

greenLED

Flashaholic
congratulations on quitting! It takes guts, and I'm glad you found a good reason to support your decision. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Mrd 74

Enlightened
Congrats on quitting, your flashlight budget just went wwwwaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyy up. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/happy14.gif

Polar_Hops

Enlightened
Yeah, i'm going to try to buy any light i want every March 19th! unless it's something like beast.

I'm going to be holding onto my L4 tightly when i go to ohio, i'm afraid i'll slip. Part of me still wants a cigarette, but i think the other part of me will overpower that part like 99.9999% of the time, because i've wanted a cigarette over the time, but instead, i just turn my l4 on. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif (with pilas)

Pydpiper

Flashlight Enthusiast
Congratulations! That is a huge step, smoking sucks. I did for 22 years, 2 days after I quit I found out we were pregnant with our first, I saved enough money the first year to buy a small fishing boat, it has become our familys favorite hobby..
Stay strong, and move on, just don't smoke.

Mags

Flashlight Enthusiast
Congratulations! Quitting does save you money especially if you smoke more than one pack a day. In school our teacher one time asked us to calculate how many dollars a pack would cost, multiply it by 365, and told us that was the money saved from not smoking. It was a large sum which is all I remember. I am too lazy to do it all over again... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

BatteryCharger

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Polar_Hops said:
Hi guys. I quit smoking because I wanted to save money to buy a surefure l4! I always thought i'd quit for a person close to me, like a family member or a close friend, not a flashlight. Am i mentally ill?

[/ QUOTE ]

You're just replacing one addiction with another... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

DaFiend

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
BatteryCharger said:
[ QUOTE ]
Polar_Hops said:

[/ QUOTE ]

You're just replacing one addiction with another... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I gave up smoking about 4 years ago, (though i will admit, if i get really drunk, the devil returns and i end up having puff, but i need to sit down cause my head spins uncontrollably). This was before i got into flashlights and lasers. Now i'm starting to thing it would be cheaper if i started smoking again...... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

Polar_Hops

Enlightened
That's interesting. When you quit, you still smoke when you are drunk? do you have to go through days of withdrawl from one cigarette?

I'm going to ohio probably tommarow, and i'm afraid i might slip. I dont know what to do, it's scary.

I had a dream, or a nightmare, where i was smoking. I really felt bad, i hated myself for doing it. This helped me realize all of the fear and regrets strong. I thought... Gee, now i'm going to have to go through withdrawl TWICE. Thank god it was only a dream. I hope i'm strong enough to never take another hit of a cigarette again.

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
The withdrawal starts within hours of having that "one cigarette". It can be severe enough to tempt you into having another, even though it makes you sick. It won't be quite as bad as quitting after 20 years, but it might feel like it at the time.

The best thing to remember is that if you never have another cigarette, you'll never have to go through the worst of the withdrawals. If you feel you're vulnerable, just don't drink for a few months. That's not that hard to do. Remember, drinking can make you do dumb things, so just avoid it.

Congrats on quitting. It's one of the best things you'll ever do.

I've quit for various legnths of time... 2 months, 2 days, 1.5 years....

Daniel (going on 15 years and still glad)

Polar_Hops

Enlightened
Wow, you slipped afer 1.5 years???? Dang. I just dont want to be like someone on LSD who has "trips", and i just keep thinking about cigarettes. Its been over a week now, i think all the hard part is done. I need to quit atleast a year, because i want to celebrate my broken habbit by giving myself a reason not to smoke again (another nice present next year!).

Presenting yourself helps. Just think you have to send whatever back if you have another cigarette. For me, it was an L4, and whenever i turn it on, i think... Why would i want to get rid of a handwarmer AND a flashlight for something that will slowly kill me, reduce quality of my life, ect. ect.

The hardest thing is the curiosity, though. I always wonder how i'd feel from one cigarette. If i have a cigarette, i hope i puke and get embarased.

Polar_Hops

Enlightened
And Mags, $1697.25 if they are $4.65 like they are here in new york. That's a lot of flashlights!

InFlux

Enlightened
Great job on your first week!!!! That is definitely the hardest part.

I quit 5 years ago. Now I rarely miss or even think about it- just every once in a while when at a club or with old friends where the imprinting is deep.

Are you using anything to help you stop? When I quit I used the nicotine patch. It kept the cravings away. It also was a big incentive because I understand if you smoke while on the patch, you risk an instant stroke or heart attack. I didn't risk it!

Be careful as you quit to watch what you eat, and get plenty of exercise. I gained 30 pounds in about a month and a half.

When you are trying to stop a behavior, you need to replace it with another (hopefully more positive) behavior to occupy the missing time, which offers a similar reward.

I'd still buy the lights though!