Pelican M1...my review

Robocop

Moderator, *Mammoth Killer*
Yes I just got my M1 and before I give the good and bad I will say I was a little dissapointed as I am a huge fan of my M6 and I think I was expecting this light to be similiar.
....Sad to say it is no where close to the M6.
I was not expecting the brightness of the M6 however they are known for their flawless beam and this M1 has a truly average,if not worse,beam.
Ok the good part first...The fit and finish is amazing with the M1 having a solid feel and a generally cool look to it. The holster is very handy and also what I expected from Pelican as it is very functional and has a great extra battery compartment. I like the package in general but the beam is,in my opinion, simply horrible.
Outside it throws fairly well and has a nice white tint which Pelican is also known for. Now I may not be certain but I was able to unscrew the lens and remove the reflector....the bad news is that a M6 reflector will not fit correctly and the worse news is that I am almost positive the M1 I have is a low dome.
I can not figure out how to remove the bezel for a closer look but it sure does look like a low dome from the top. I will try to get some pics soon but for now I can say this light will in no shape or form compete with the QIII which is the same size and cost.
I have the Dorcy 3-AAA Luxeon that is sold at Target for 24 dollars and also has a low dome. I compared the two lights and the beams are almost identical. If you have the 3-AAA Dorcy it will give you an idea of what the M1 is like as far as beam shape.
My M1 has a decent hot spot however has several voids with outer rings getting larger as the spread out to the end of the corona. The rings all are completly circular and follow the shape of the hot spot but it has dark bands between the rings...kind of hard to explain and I will try to get photos soon.
I think I am most dissapointed with the Low Dome and second that the M6 reflector will not fit as a drop in replacement. I am not even sure if it was able to be made to fit if it would even look decent with a Low Dome. If anyone else has an M1 could you look and see if it is also a low dome?...and also maybe someone could figure out how to get the entire bezel off.
Looking down in the bezel with the reflector out it looks like a standard Lumileds star and if I can get this bezel off I may can simply swap the star out for a better High Dome. I know low domes have been said to have advanced much lately but I am kind of spoiled over the better high domes and to me any high dome simply has a better beam in general....Well that is my take on this light and I am now actually wondering if Pelican will change this light in the future and if they will accept this one back....those 33 dollar QIII wonder lights at County Comm are looking pretty good right now.
I wonder if this M1 circuit will run a 3 watt pretty well. I have no meter close by so I have no way of knowing any details of the current in this M1. I will say that I like the light simply for the very cool look and durable feel and the cost is not that bad....however I dis-like it for a very few crucial reasons to myself and that would be the lack of that awesome usually flawless Pelican beam and the Low Dome emitter
.....Let me say again that I can not really get a good angle on the emitter to see it from the side but to me it appears to be a Low Dome but it could be an illusion....I am almost certain it is a low dome and the almost identical beam with the Dorcy Low Dome makes me even more certain....Well thanks for listening to me vent a little....I was just a little excited about this new addition and sad to find it very average with many lower cost lights actually leaving this one behind.

Robban

Enlightened
Thanks for the review. Interesting read.

However, next time it would be really appreciated if you could break your text up into paragraphs. That big block of text is kinda rough to read on a screen.

Robocop

Sorry about that...I never really thought about that but it is hard to read. I am a police officer and I am usually having to cram a lot of words into a small space for those reports that I do so many of.
I guess I get this habit from that however in time maybe it will improve. Regardless hope the average review helps others decide if the want this light.
I have just sent an e-mail to Pelican asking if any additional,yet different,reflectors were available to purchase. I also asked if this was indeed a low dome light so maybe if I get a reply I will be able to verify my thought that these are low domes.
I will keep you posted and does anyone know if Pelican takes time to answer e-mails? I assume witht heir excellent reputation for service that they should respond fairly quickly....thanks again for looking

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
ITS NOT A LOW DOME! It is a side emmiter.

-David

Robocop

My M1 is for sure a Low Dome and I am not sure if Pelican uses different style luxeons. If a side emmiter or high dome is available I would rather have that.
I just compared the emitter to a salvaged Low Dome and the Pelican I have is for sure a Low Dome. I am still trying to figure out how to exchange this star however the bezel looks like one piece and I can not un-screw it.
Anyone know if Pelican has used several types of Luxeons in these M1 lights? I may take a chance on another purchase if I could get lucky and get a different style emitter.

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
cheapo said:
ITS NOT A LOW DOME! It is a side emmiter.

-David

[/ QUOTE ]

Its NOT a side emitter from what I can tell on my M1. I'll post a link to my thread on the M1 and M3, I agree with Robocop's assessment of beam quality, very disapointing when compared to the M6 LED...

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have both M1s and M3s. Can't stand the beam quality or lousy switch, but most other areas of the lights are fine.

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=910986&page=1&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1

If Pelican in future versions of the M1 and M3 can match the M6 beam quality, I would be happy. Plus, the M1 and M3 need better switches my opinion says.

If Pelican matches the reflector shape of the M6, and also fully texturizes it, I think the M1 and M3 CAN have good beam quality. The mistake is only texturizing it half way, I think.

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
NOPE, side emmiter, I dont own one but Pelican gave me a spec sheet that clearly stated "SIDE EMITTER." Mine will be arriving Tuesday or Wednesday along with a M3.

-David

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
cheapo said:
NOPE, side emmiter, I dont own one but Pelican gave me a spec sheet that clearly stated "SIDE EMITTER." Mine will be arriving Tuesday or Wednesday along with a M3.

-David

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmm...that might help explain the lousy beam quality. Side emitters that I own have artifacts even with reflectors.

My M1s and M3s both have domes around the LED (unlike my side emitting Mini-star 2), so its not obvious that it is a side emitter like in the Mini-star 2 case.

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well then that explains it all. The M1 is a side emmiter so all of the light is refracted from the reflector, seeing that the reflector isnt smooth, the beam adjusts to the reflectors curves and the beam suffers because of it. I GOT IT, YEAH!

-David /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/clap.gif

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
cheapo said:

-David

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, you're going to LOVE the throw of the M3. Very very good throw.

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
cheapo said:

-David

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, you're going to LOVE the throw of the M3. Very very good throw my opinion says.

Flashlight Enthusiast
Robocop: M1 has DC-DC regulation. That in itself makes it worthwhile my opinion says, even with the sub-mediocre beam and lousy switch. For the price, its a good value considering its size, output, fit/finish, and REGULATION.

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Saweeeeet! THROW THROW THROW THROW- Oh yeah speaking of throw, my micra has none. Boosterhead or PR head guys? what do you think?

-David

Robocop

Ok spec sheet or not my M1 is a Low Dome and as soon as I can get this bezel off I will take a few pics. The first thing I am doing is a swap with a high dome star.
Anyone else actually look at their emitter yet to see if it is a Low Dome?

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Robocop said:
Ok spec sheet or not my M1 is a Low Dome and as soon as I can get this bezel off I will take a few pics. The first thing I am doing is a swap with a high dome star.
Anyone else actually look at their emitter yet to see if it is a Low Dome?

[/ QUOTE ]

I've looked at the emitters on my M1s and M3s, and they all have domes over the led. Other than this, I don't know enough about LED types to say for sure if its high dome, low dome, or side-emitter.

Flashlight Enthusiast
I took the upper part of the head off, and took several pictures, but none of them are coming our clearly. Upon close inspection, it looks doomish, but not a perfect dome so I'm throwing my hands in the air. I have no idea what type of emitter this is.

A potential concern was the well below average INTERIOR fit and tool work when the upper head is removed. I haven't opened up all of my M1s and M3s, but the M1 I opened has really disapointing interior quality my opinion says.

vtunderground

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
357 said:
...I have no idea what type of emitter this is...

[/ QUOTE ]

luxeons.jpg

(as viewed from the side, of course)

Flashlight Enthusiast
Judging by your diagram, it looks definitely like a batwing (low dome). 99% sure