Fried my new light, HELP!

Grubbster

Enlightened
While trying to get my new Nuawi ALX-352 to focus a little better, I somehow managed to get the reflector to short the led positive lead. When I turned it on I got a flash and some smoke /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif. When I disassembled it the positive tab on the emitter was gone. I tried soldering it back, but I was unable to get it to light. Could the electronics be fried also? I have the module out and a picture is below. How can I check to see if the electronics are gone before I go and drop $ for a new Lux V? Currently I don't have any test equipment. Anyone willing to test it for me if the equipment is too expensive?

P3200018(Small).JPG

kongfuchicken

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm pretty sure the alx352 has a plastic reflector so shorting isn't very likely. The only senario I can see is you managed to somehow crush the emitter and break a contact somewhere. If you saw smoke, then that's not good at all for the luxV.
The down converter should be ok if that's really what happened so replacing the luxeon star with another one should get it to fire up again...
Unfortunately, the cheapest way I can think of to test the board is to use another star (got any cheap lux3 arround?).

kongfuchicken

Flashlight Enthusiast
edit:
D'oh!
Ok, I made a major mistake yet again; the one I have is the alx 253, not the 352 which runs on 2xcr123s, not 3. Don't try to run a lux3 on that converter!