e-series clicky tailcap

code09

Enlightened
Hey Guys, i just found out today that my e-series clicky rattles when it is on the on position. When it is clicked on, and you shake it, it sounds as if there were loose parts...i never really noticed this before (in my 2 weeks of use), but then again, today was my first time shaking it.

Does anyone elses do this? or is it time for me to give Surefire CS a call?

Thanks

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
Interesting! My two older Z-57 clickies don't rettle when shaken in the on position. My two newest, an L4 and E2O do, and noticeably! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

Larry

code09

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
tvodrd said:
Interesting! My two older Z-57 clickies don't rettle when shaken in the on position. My two newest, an L4 and E2O do, and noticeably! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

Larry

[/ QUOTE ]

wow...that is weird. Anyone else own a e-series light they could quickly test it out?

mokona2

Enlightened
I have a pair of Z58s. One rattles in the on position while the other one does not (at least I can't tell by shaking it) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
I concur it must be normal! I had four within reach, and couldn't resist. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif I lack the curiousity to pop a couple apart and figure out why! Maybe Don when he gets back. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nana.gif

Larry

code09

Enlightened
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
How does one go about opening a e-series tailcap?

Beamhead

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very carefully, I have been inside one of my z57's and the mechanics are very similar to that of a click top pen.
I would not recommend opening one unless it is absolutely critical.

LitFuse

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
tvodrd said:
I concur it must be normal! I had four within reach, and couldn't resist. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif I lack the curiousity to pop a couple apart and figure out why! Maybe Don when he gets back. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nana.gif

Larry

[/ QUOTE ]

It's a tolerance issue. It's the button under the boot that is rattling around. As stated, the mechanism is very similar to a ball point pen. When you click a pen "on" you will notice that the button gets sloppy and develops cosiderable "play". Some of the Z-57 have lube on them that dampens the "slop" and you don't hear the rattle. Others rest against the boot when unloaded, which also prevents the rattle. The old ones tend to rattle less because they came with a thicker boot. The latest clickies come with a considerably thinner boot (among other improvements) that tend to make the switches more prone to rattling.

I hope that makes sense, but the important thing is that it's normal for the switch to rattle when on.

Peter