digital pics to hard copies

turbodog

Flashaholic
I've got a number of digital pics in jpg format. They are pretty high resolution.

I'm looking to get them transferred to hard copies. I'm looking for matte finish standard 35mm size prints.

I'm not interested in printing them myself.

They are 1024x768 in size. Image sizes are typically 425k each. Will I lose anything in going to hard copies from cropping or size mismatching?

raggie33

*the raggedier*
im guessing but id guess it matters on the size ya want the prints. thats like a 1 megapixel camera size i think id guess ya would be safe to 3x5

powernoodle

Flashlight Enthusiast
I take digipics on a 3 megapixel camera at the high res setting, and when printed at 4x6 there is some slight cropping that happens. I suspect that you will see some slight cropping, but that it will be minimal. Best bet is to just try it and see what happens. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

raggie33

*the raggedier*
o lots of store have a machine that ya can use price ranges from 25 cnets to like 39 per pic. i seen em at walmart cosco cvs i see em every where lately

watt4

Enlightened
walgreens has a kiosk for this. works great.

you can bring them on a cd, or even on the common camera memory cards.

-----------

have not used it, but walmart.com has an online deal. upload your images, and pick them up hardcopy at a local walmart. looks useful.

jtr1962

Flashaholic
With standard size prints you should be OK. The quality may be slightly less than if the pictures were taken with film due to the resolution and jpeg compression, mostly the former. 1024x768 is only 0.8 megapixels, but since your file size is ~425K this means the jpeg compression ratio isn't too high, meaning not much loss of quality. All other things being equal, a 2 megapixel picture will print better than a 1 megapixel picture, but high jpeg compression ratios can make even an 8 megapixel image look worse than something much smaller. Bottom line, they should look fine at 3"x5" but you'll need higher resolution to avoid pixelization if you go to something like 8"x10".

jtice

Flashaholic
My local walmart can do prints from digital cams, just bring them a CD , or even bring a memory card to them.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
watt4 said:
walgreens has a kiosk for this. works great.

you can bring them on a cd, or even on the common camera memory cards.

-----------

have not used it, but walmart.com has an online deal. upload your images, and pick them up hardcopy at a local walmart. looks useful.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've used Walgreens recently and it worked great. They have a fabulous thermal dye sublimation printer that produces rich, beautiful color that doesn't run if the paper gets wet afterwards.

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
What I like about printing at the stores...ink and paper cost can add up, as well as the wear and tear on a printer. The stores also typically have a better printer than I do and I like the results better. I do edit mine at home first though. Sure it's time consuming, but ensures a better quality print.

If I'm just printing out a few "here and there", then not a problem at home.
If I have a lot, then I prefer using the stores printer. I think with that many I'd drop off the CDs...that's quite a few pics.

I need to convert a lot of slides to digital...I meam A LOT!! I don't look forward to it...guess I should get started!

powernoodle

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
turbodog said:
Too many to take to a store. 2228 files.

Been stockpiling for a while.

[/ QUOTE ]

At $0.29 each, thats about $650. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

best regards

eluminator

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah if I have more than a few to print, I get close to a cable modem, upload them and use ofoto.com, which has recently been changed to kodakgallery.com. Then I wait for the postman to put them in my mailbox. I figure it's cheaper than doing them at home. Darn ink and paper isn't cheap. I think Walmart is a bit cheaper than Kodak.

The experts say you can actually do a better job at home. If you are an expert, that is. Better paper, better ink, and maybe a better printer. The HP 7350 I use does do a remarkable job, and there are no doubt better ones today.

bobisculous

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use Walgreens all the time. Its always cheaper than I expect too. I had 65+ 3X5s plus an 5X6 made all at the same time, yet it didnt exceed $22. Thats not bad at all. Their computer system for offloading them from a memory card works great too. It has quite a few editing features built in so you can mess with the pictures at Walgreens. Its really nice.

Cameron