Where to get a refurb digital camera

Malpaso

Enlightened
A couple of years ago, I got a refurbished HP digital camera for my daughter from BestBuy.com. I wasn't expecting much out of it, since I only spent about $80 for it, but it turned out to be a real good camera, and she still uses it. Now, I'm thinking I should have kept it for myself /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif so I'm looking for another one. There have been a few posts lately about digital cameras, so I thought I'd post this here. All I want is something that I can use to post pics here and other places on the net, nothing fancy.

matt_j

Enlightened
Dear Friend I'm surprised you didn't get nay answers to your questions yet since everyone has their own man they buy stuff from. Here's someone who served me well for a long period of time. KEH photo from GA.

Few links to their used and new section:
Nikon stuff (great meetering, great macro):
http://www.keh.com/shop/product.cfm?bid=DN&cid=05&sid=newused&crid=10358684

Olympus cameras (great durability and battery life)
http://www.keh.com/shop/product.cfm?bid=DO&cid=05&sid=newused&crid=10358684

Sony cameras (good all around cam except for damn memory stick)
http://www.keh.com/shop/product.cfm?bid=DS&cid=05&sid=newused&crid=10358684

Canon cameras (always great bang for a buck)
http://www.keh.com/shop/product.cfm?bid=DC&cid=05&sid=newused&crid=10358684

Some people are partial to buying use equipment. I like it because it gives me a bigger bang for my buck. And I like KEH becasue they did right by me on some stuff that broke even after the warranty.

Matt

BobVA

Enlightened
Try buy.com and refurbdepot.com. I got a really good deal on a Canon S4 Elph from the latter about 6 months ago.

(And somebody here got an even better deal on my old Elph /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif)

Cheers,
Bob

Marty Weiner

Flashlight Enthusiast
Go to eBay and look under Olympus digital cameras.

The corporation sells returned cameras for very little. They are inspected and brought up to factory standards and repacked and shipped to the buyer.

I was amazed when I got mine. All of the accessories were brand new and sealed and the camera itself was absolutely pristine. Except for the "refurbished" labels on the outside of the package, you would never know the difference.

I used my camera today and it still amazes me how beautiful the macro pictures come out.

shimmeringtrance

Newly Enlightened
i'd try ebay as well, i've had good success there. also, research some of the refurm places online, refurbdepo for instance has a terrible record in customer satisfaction, i would never order from them. use "refurbished camera" as your search word on google and it will show a you a lot.

eluminator

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have an HP photosmart 320. That's a 2 MP fixed focus camera. For many people who want to take snapshots, it's a better camera than any I've seen. Anyone can use it. You can't go wrong. The picture is always in focus, the flash is automatically used if needed, and it uses AA cells. Cameras that use proprietary batteries seem like a bad idea to me.

My sister knows nothing about cameras but she likes to borrow mine. She usually takes better pictures than others that have expensive equipment.

I bought a brand new photosmart 735 on eBay for $75 last week so I could take closeup pictures. It's rather neat and I like to play around with it. But it sometimes doesn't focus in dim light. For rank amateurs like my sister, not to mention my brother-in-law, the 320 is still the best.

Another thing I like about these cameras is you can take a hell of a lot of pictures on a set of batteries. Some people complain about the batteries going dead on their brand X cameras. I don't know what the problem is. Maybe bad camera design or maybe the guy pressing the shutter button is doing something wrong.