RANT: Why no LED lamps for Surefire G2/6P etc...?

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
I dropped my G2 yesterday onto the floor at work from hip-height (I'm only 5'6") and the beam was all out of alignment. I did manage to get it back to perfect by "thwacking" it on to a table the right way to bring it back into alignment, but thats' not the point. It shouldn't be so sensitive.

Of course, the answer is to go with an LED based light. GREAT! except there are no lamps for the G2, 6P etc that are LED. Now I know BugOutGearUSA has the 3 watt LED drop-ins, but its only about half the output. I still want my 65 lumens of hot-spot output. There was talk of a 5W version coming out, but nothing came of it. Any ideas? The only thing I can think of is to construct some kind of shock-resistant bezel guard out of rubber/foam rubber. I am also going to write Surefire and ask them why don't they produce an LED replacement lamp. I see that the X200 has a LED lamp in it that runs off 2 batts at 80 lumens. I don't know why they couldn't make one to drop in the G2/6Ps.

Ok, rant over.

UVvis

Enlightened
They make the KL5 bezel, which is LED, and 65ish Lumens, mine is awesome, though it rolls around some, and is a little longer than the standard bezel.

You could also get a M2 bezel for your G2 that is shock isolated, costs about as much as a new G2 though.

jtivat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mcgizmo makes a 3watter that is very bright it just drops in. I have been using it in my 6P over six months and love it.

leukos

Flashlight Enthusiast
KDOG3,
It sounds like the bulb in your P60 repositioned itself a little during the impact. If you take the lamp module out of your light and move the center spring (avoid touching the lamp itself), I think you will be able to center it easily enough without having to use further "thwacks" to the light.
I appreciate the gummy substance in the P series lights, I think that gives it some shock absorbsion from small drops. There's a good chance the bulb would have busted if it didn't have the ability to move a little bit. After a drop, just pull it out and re-adjust it and you're ready to go. (another good reason to use a lanyard!) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: RANT: Why no LED lamps for Surefire G2/6P etc.

Isn't the M2 bezel that Type III HA? It wouldn't match very well. If it was black I'd jump on it. And the KL5 head is terribly expensive. Also I hear the beam from the KL5 isn't as "tight" as the standard. True?

dougmccoy

Enlightened

Sorry, but I'm perplexed about your rant? Do any of the competition have better bulbs as regards being dropped? Does one example of a bulb misbehaving mean that Surefire should rush out and redesign their incandescent bulbs? From my own experiences the G2 Nitrolon does a great job of limiting concussive shock to the bulb and normally would provide adequate protection from an 'average' drop! Of course you may have a poorer example of a P60 bulb than normal, or the drop might have been just one of those unfortunate times when the bulb misaligns. However, I doubt there are many examples of this type of thing and certainly it hasn't been noted on this Forum.
As they say, S**t happens!

Doug

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast

One example? This has happened many times before. Especially with my 6Ps' and my 9P. Surefire advertises that the Nitrolon "protects" the precious filament better. Maybe, but I thought it would protect better than that from a less than 3 foot drop. Also I never said Surefire should trash their incan lamps. Just think about producing LED drop ins.

Please don't get me wrong - I LOVE Surefires! They are the only light I will buy! I was just dissappointed with how easy it went out of alignment. At least they (or somebody) could come out with a rubber bezel guard.

Of course, I could always just make sure I don't drop my lights! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

jtivat

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
KDOG3 said:
Isn't the M2 bezel that Type III HA? It wouldn't match very well. If it was black I'd jump on it. And the KL5 head is terribly expensive. Also I hear the beam from the KL5 isn't as "tight" as the standard. True?

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope it comes in both typeIII and type II like the 6P.

Pydpiper

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
jtivat said:
Mcgizmo makes a 3watter that is very bright it just drops in. I have been using it in my 6P over six months and love it.

[/ QUOTE ]
How is it for throw? I must know.. I have heard of it and would also like one, but only if I don't sacrifce throw..

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast

Really? Where can I get one in blk? I haven't seen them.

jtivat

Flashlight Enthusiast

I got mine from Surefire I don't remeber the part # but CS should be able to help.

jtivat

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Pydpiper said:
[ QUOTE ]
jtivat said:

[/ QUOTE ]
How is it for throw? I must know.. I have heard of it and would also like one, but only if I don't sacrifce throw..

[/ QUOTE ]

I would say it has more throw and not as much spill but I will do a test tonight and let you know for sure.

Pydpiper

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
jtivat said:
[ QUOTE ]
Pydpiper said:
[ QUOTE ]
jtivat said:

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I would say it has more throw and not as much spill but I will do a test tonight and let you know for sure.

[/ QUOTE ]
Thank you..Much appreciated..

blackout

Newly Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
dougmccoy said:
Do any of the competition have better bulbs as regards being dropped?

[/ QUOTE ]

The bulbs in C & D size Maglites will not become misaligned as a result of being dropped. Same with my $2 Eveready.

Pydpiper

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
blackout said:
[ QUOTE ]
dougmccoy said:
Do any of the competition have better bulbs as regards being dropped?

[/ QUOTE ]

The bulbs in C & D size Maglites will not become misaligned as a result of being dropped. Same with my $2 Eveready.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is true, but the bulb may not work at all, in which case a misalignment would most likly be better. My big mag doesn't like to be dropped, thats usually the only way it goes through bulbs.
The eveready wouldn't survive the drop at all, even if the bulb survived and it could very well, the light housing would no longer be of any value. But the good news is it will probally fit in the mag!
If i'm going to drop any lights, please let it be a $2 light..

dougmccoy

Enlightened

blackout, all I will say in response to your post is; I Did say COMPETITION! Since when are Mags ANY Mags in competition with a Surefire /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

blackout

Newly Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
dougmccoy said:
blackout, all I will say in response to your post is; I Did say COMPETITION! Since when are Mags ANY Mags in competition with a Surefire /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Since they dominate the industry in market share.

I guess my point is that I'm perplexed by Doug's perplexion. Not all bulbs will become misaligned when dropped. The filament becoming dislodged is another story, but Surfire's bulb assemblies surely aren't the preeminent design just because they cost so much.

As an aside, the nice thing about replacing a Maglite bulb is that it'll only cost you about a buck.

DimBeam

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
blackout said:
[ QUOTE ]
dougmccoy said:

[/ QUOTE ]

Since they dominate the industry in market share.

I guess my point is that I'm perplexed by Doug's perplexion. Not all bulbs will become misaligned when dropped. The filament becoming dislodged is another story, but Surfire's bulb assemblies surly aren't the preeminent design just because they cost so much.

As an aside, the nice thing about replacing a Maglite bulb is that it'll only cost you about a buck.

[/ QUOTE ]

And a Buck will get you a crappy light. BTW...Mcdonalds dominates it's industry. So go out and have a mediocre hamburger and then run to Wallyworld and buy a Maglite. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

blackout

Newly Enlightened

I guess I'll have to clarify my point again...Maglite is the competition.

Own any Maglite's DimBeam?