MJLEDs--there IS a difference,

sniper

Enlightened
Since I got it, I have been admiring my MJLED from Lambda, but I just got one from the Shoppe today. There is a difference. I guess I got one of the initial lot in my kit. Not that there is anything wrong with it, atall, atall. It is far better than any incandescent bulb I have seen in a Mini Mag, but the newer one is brighter and also whiter. I stuck it in a brand new Mini Mag, inatalled a Kroll switch, and I have my edc light! Now I have to get a clickie for my wife, so she will be happy with the other one. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/au.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/clap.gif

mateen

Enlightened
I am very pleased with mine (from the Shoppe), as well. Better than the incandescent in every category - now I feel stupid for buying some of those Brinkmann Nextstars last month...

sniper

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
mateen said:
now I feel stupid for buying some of those Brinkmann Nextstars last month...

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey, It is just part of the learning curve. I decided I didn't like the Costco AA led lights, so I took them back. They were O.K., but not nearly as good as the worst MJLED. I also decided not to buy any more 26,000 MCD leds. I hope my 3D LUX III mod works out well. Should have it together this weekend. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Pajamas

Newly Enlightened
sniper

what bin are you using for your 3d mod? are you direct driving it? i'm working on one myself....

sniper

Enlightened
Pajamas: I got a TVIL from Photonfanatic, and will direct drive it. I figure to remove the switch from the assembly, (mine slides right out, and it looks like it will be simple to reinstall with the wire soldered to it.) so I'm not soldering down a hole; got some 'blue tack" to hold it steady, and found a cheap computer cord with 24 AWG in it. It would be too much to hope that it is teflon clad. NOW, all I need is a hand for the wire, one for the soldering iron, and one for the solder. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif What BIN do you have? If this one works well, I'll use my second TVIL to build another . Otherwise, I will probably try a Diamond replacement bulb, and see how that does before I try a Blaster III from Elektrolumens. Good luck with your mod. So many guys have done them, how hard can it be, right??? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Pila_Power

Enlightened
Re: sniper

"NOW, all I need is a hand for the wire, one for the soldering iron, and one for the solder."

Try this if you're strapped for hands:

Strip back the wire to desired length, stick that onto the blue tack and tin the end (sometimes before applying solder to small wires it's good practise to twist the wire before soldering as 2much heat can flare out the fine wires.)

After the wire end has solder applied to it(tinned), you can also tin the contact where the wire is to be joined.

This will allow you to use the b/tack to hold the subject, one hand for the wire and the other hand for the iron.

All ya gotta do is heat the wire & subject area at the same time to melt the solder and waah-lar!! Problem solvered. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I hope that helps, apologies if you're a seasoned solderer and I sounded patronising. Just trying to help like I have been helped on this forum. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Goes around, comes around.

Tim.

sniper

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
Pila_Power said:

Strip back the wire to desired length, stick that onto the blue tack and tin the end (sometimes before applying solder to small wires it's good practise to twist the wire before soldering as 2much heat can flare out the fine wires.)

After the wire end has solder applied to it(tinned), you can also tin the contact where the wire is to be joined.

This will allow you to use the b/tack to hold the subject, one hand for the wire and the other hand for the iron.

All ya gotta do is heat the wire & subject area at the same time to melt the solder and waah-lar!! Problem solvered. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I hope that helps, apologies if you're a seasoned solderer and I sounded patronising. Just trying to help like I have been helped on this forum. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Goes around, comes around.

Tim.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's what I enjoy most about this forum...people know what they are talking about and are willing to help!
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thanks.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif

mckevin

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
Pila_Power said:

<snip>

Tim.

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/happy14.gif Don't know he is a seasoned solderer or not, but you just saved me a bunch of head-scratchin' /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

sniper

Enlightened
Pajamas--- It worked! HOO Boy, is it ever BRIGHT! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/happy14.gif It looks abut 30% brighter than my old war-weary Mag Lite, and it do throw! Of course, it took me 3X as long to do it as it would anybody else. The things you find out when you try to work on some of those teeny little components in there! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif My bifocals don't focus near close enough, and the hands are a little less steady than I recall. If I can do it, anybody can! I have all that wire and epoxy, and solder left over, a TVIL and a new Mag body--seems a shame to let it go to waste. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif Have fun--the burns on my fingers are healing nicely, and the dog is speaking to me again. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif