FTP Client

nirad

Enlightened
I just got my ISP to give up some FTP server space. Can anyone recommend a FREE and Easy FTP Client???

Zigzago

Enlightened
I used WS_FTP for years - very simple user interface. When I got wireless DSL at home, though, it started erroring out after transferring a few files so I switched to SmartFTP.

Geologist

Enlightened
I have to put in a second vote for SmartFTP - it is very slick, easy for beginners, and works quite well. Many options for the advanced user, and I love how it handles "favorites"

greenLED

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
eluminator said:
Windows Explorer. Nothing easier than good old drag and drop in my humble (humble?) opinion.

[/ QUOTE ]
How do you change file permissions?

I used WS_FTP since the early 90's, but I think FileZilla is simpler and more powerful.

eluminator

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
greenLED said:
]
How do you change file permissions?

[/ QUOTE ]

A good question. I guess I don't. I just tried and I get a window that says "This server does not support changing file permissions".

SmartFTP allows me to do it. At least it pretends to change permissions.

The thing is, I've uploaded many web pages, pictures, and assorted garbage, and it works for me. I don't bother with an FTP client anymore. ( unless someone asks about changing permissions /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif ).

Here's the link I use. Unless you can guess my username and password, you'll have to take my word for the rest. The folders you see before logging in are apparently hypercon public folders. It seems hypercon allows you to get this far with an anonymous login.
ftp://www.hypercon.net/

Starshiptrupr

Newly Enlightened
I used SmartFTP for a long time (not to be confused with frequent use) and mine worked, but even after updates it had a few menu options that were clunky and didn't always work. (I guess nobody else had that problem.)

Anyway, I just started using Core FTP Lite and it's really basic but works flawlessly for me. (So far I like it a lot better than I ever did SmartFTP.)

Hmm.. going to check out FileZilla now.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif

BF Hammer

Enlightened
Do you have Firefox browser? I'm using a plugin for Firefox called FireFTP. It's pretty good for doing quick transfers to your server space. I regularly use it to put photos on my web space area that my ISP provides. I don't use the finicky photo web hosts for posting pics on forums.

Before I started using Firefox, I used WS-FTP (still have it on the computer) and CuteFTP. CuteFTP is a good package, but the current versions are crippled until it is unlocked after purchasing a license. WS-FTP has a trimmed-down freeware version and a full-featured package (WS-FTP Pro) that requires purchasing to unlock.

For just uploading files to a server, freeware can do the job well. Back when mp3 ftp download sites were common, the extra features of the full-version FTP clients were almost mandatory. Since all the mp3 download sites were sued and intimidated out of existence, I don't have need for the extra bells and whistles anymore.

eluminator

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yep. I once used Cute FTP and then I used SmartFTP. Now I just use Internet Explorer/Windows Explorer (I think they both do the same thing) and wonder why the heck I ever used an FTP program. It makes about as much sense to me now as using FTP to move files from my C disk to my D disk.

Yeah I know that hidden out of sight, the FTP protocol is being used. But hidden out of sight, a lot of things are being used to move files from C: to D:. Out of sight, out of mind, I say.

You guys will figure it out in time. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Maybe I should have said it this way. You move files on and off your SATA drives and your PATA drives and your USB connected external drives and your firewire connected external drives, and your ethernet connected shares on other computers on the LAN, and you do it all with Windows Explorer. You can also move files on and off the file server of your ISP the same way. All you have to know is the address (URL).