Direct Driving Lux III

Pajamas

Newly Enlightened
It seems a lot of people are using those 3AA-1D or 4AA-1D converter cells in their D cell lights.

What effect does this have on a Lux III led? When would you want to use a 3AA-1D versus a 4AA-1D ?

Could you still use them if you used lithium AAs in it? How about NIMH rechargeables? I'm trying to understand what the difference would be to the Lux III/output. My goal is to eliminate the need for D size batts and I don't know which type I should get (3 or 4AA) or which type of batts to put in it?

Thanks for the help!!

Pajamas

Newly Enlightened
I know 3D will work....I want to know if I can use those three 3AA=1D converter cells (the ones that look like 1 D-cell but actually have 3 or 4 AA in them).

What effect does this have on a Lux III led? When would you want to use a 3AA-1D versus a 4AA-1D ?

Could you still use them if you used lithium AAs in it? How about NIMH rechargeables? I'm trying to understand what the difference would be to the Lux III/output. My goal is to eliminate the need for D size batts and I don't know which type I should get (3 or 4AA) or which type of batts to put in it?

Thanks!

GarageBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
You're gonna need to chop down the mag or get a step down converter. 1.2x 6 (2 D mag)= 7.2V..not enough to DD a Lux V, but too much for a LuxIII