The first windup Luxeon light?

Solstice

Flashlight Enthusiast
I did a search on this before posting with no matches, so I'm sorry if someone found this before
I was glancing through a friend's C.Crane Co. catalog and found this:

http://www.ccrane.com/freeplay-jonta-flashlight.aspx

It's a bit large and pricey but it may finally be the first windup flashlight with some decent output- the reflector is nice and big so it might even have some throw. My only other concern is that it uses a NiMH to store the charge rather than Lithium which would mean (correct me if I'm wrong) you'd want to wait until it was completely discharged before winding again or else the battery would suffer memory effects. The catalog (and website) says it'll be available in April.

Melven

Newly Enlightened
They advertise NiMh batteries as memory-less. I even bought some a while ago that were "No-Mem Pro" brand. I have not noticed any of my Nimh batteries suffering from "memory"

deranged_coder

Enlightened
Nickel Metal Hydride (NiMH) batteries do not have the memory effect AFAIK. I think it was Nickel Cadmium (NiCd) batteries that have the memory effect. Try looking in the Flashlight Electronics forum for more info on the different battery chemistries.

Solstice

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the battery info. I wonder if come April anyone will want to sport the 80 smackers to try out one of these lights. Could be cool, but not me /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/broke.gif.

LowBat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I hear even Li-Ion has a slight memory effect, but less then NiMH, with in turn is far less than NiCAD.