Small "Hot Key" notepad/sticky program?

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
Small \"Hot Key\" notepad/sticky program?

Anyone have a favorite little "notepad/sticky" program that uses a hot key combo to bring it up quick (to cut and past notes to, jot down quick reminders, facts, etc.)?

Never thought I'd need a little utility like this, but I find myself thinking it would be very handy.

Thanks - oh, and I certainly appreciate any suggestions, I'd really like it to be freeware if possible.

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
Re: Small \"Hot Key\" notepad/sticky program?

Thanks B@rt, I'll try it. I've just been "surfing" around and picked up a couple others (not installed yet), and just wondered if anyone had already developed a favorite.

eluminator

Flashlight Enthusiast

You can define a "hot key" to bring up notepad, or any other program.

Here's one way to do it. Create a shortcut for notepad.exe. Rightclick on the shortcut and click properties. Put the cursor in the shortcut key box. Press the desired key combination, like ctrl-n.

You are in business.

To create a shortcut for notepad.exe, go to Windows\System32. Right click on notepad.exe and click "create shortcut".

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *

eluminator...I believe that suggestion will be PERFECT for my needs. For some reason, I just didn't think about assigning a hot key combo to notepad.../ubbthreads/images/graemlins/duh2.gif

It's late, I really need to go to bed! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thanks.gif

eluminator

Flashlight Enthusiast

Yeah, there's a whole lot of things I don't think about either. I don't use hot keys, but I was trying to run a password safe program that required them and I couldn't get them to work. That's why I thought of it.

Well, lo and behold, I got hotkeys to work for notepad this morning the first time I tried.

idleprocess

Flashaholic

I'd suggest avoiding any sort of common keyboard shortcut for notepad (or any other program) - i.e. avoid "Ctrl-N" because that's commonly used to open a new/blank file.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic

I use CTRL-ALT-C to bring up windows calculator all the time and have a screen saver set for CTRL-ALT-X so I can go to bed as I leave my computer on. You can even drag a shortcut of any file to your desktop and assign a hotkey to it. Like perhaps a list (text file) of recipes, phone numbers, etc. Just create a txt file or doc or whatever and drag a shorcut to it, assign a hotkey and if it is associated with the program in windows it will run.