Imalent        

Thread: I need a charger????? Trident ?? any other sugge

Default I need a charger????? Trident ?? any other sugge

stions???

this is what I need: ????

I need to charge a pack that is custom constructed out of 25 Sanyo NiCad 4000 Mah cells. Fully charged and right of the charger it measures 35 plus volts.

This pack should be charged at 400ma for 10 to 11 hours for a slow charge (recommended) or can also be fast charged at 4000ma for 60 or so minutes.

Can any of you recommend which would be the best charger for me to use to charge this pack?? and is able to do a full slow charge and a fast charge?? I am looking for high quality and not just a cheap price???

If you have a suggestion please let me know where I can go to purchase the unit??

TIA

Andreas

Default Re: I need a charger????? Trident ?? any other s

The Triton claims to be able to handle up to 24 cells, so 25 is just out of range. There's a Futaba charger that handles 36 cells, but it's around 4x as expensive as a Triton. Your simplest solution may be a homemade or custom built slow charger.

Triton won't do it, unless you can split the pack and charge half at a time.

Bill

Paulr,

Where could I find out information on the futaba charger?

I really don't have any connections for making a custom charger and would like keep is simple???

Thanks

Futaba CRD-5000

Later
    Kelly

Sway,

thanks

That one sure is Pricey?? Any other suggestions the run on A/C????

By the way you know what this is for right?? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

If you don't mind a slow charger, I'm sure someone on the modder BST forum can build one up for you inexpensively. A fast charger would cost somewhat more because of its higher complexity.

Andreas, I just came across the Astroflight 112 charger which will charge up to 40 cells. Max charge rate is 8 amps, though I don't know how many cells it will do at that rate. At $149 it's more affordable than the Futaba and probably than a custom made fast charger.

www.astroflight.com

Andreas,

What I would strongly suggest is a Schulze isl 6-330d, but you will need a very good power supply to power it. DO NOT try to use a salvaged computer supply or the cheapest supply you can find. I suggest a Samlex SEC-1223. www.universal-radio.com sells them. And www.battlepack.com has a 6-330d RS (which has an RS-232 serial interface, if you have a PC) and www.nesail.com has the regular 6-330d, but for the same price. Make sure to get v 8.06 of the software/firmware.

Plus, the 330 will charge way more li-poly or li-ion cells in series than the Triton will, and at a much higher charge rate.

At right around $220 the Schulze 6-330 is just above the Triton in terms of quality and price, and will charge 30 series NiCd or NiMH cells. Get it. You won't regret it.

PLUS, the Schulze can be continually upgraded with new firmware to be able to charge newer cell types or variations thereof, as they come on the market. It is absolutely the last charger you will ever need to buy. And I hear that its' auto mode is excellent, as compared to the Triton's auto mode, which is best avoided.

Hope this helped.

I second the recommendations for the Schuze isl6-330D. I have one and it charges every single battery pack in any chemistry that I own. It has a max current of 5.5A, so it definitely meets your requirement for 4A charging rate. I bought this mainly for charging Lipoly cells for my RC helis, but this also does Li-ion, Nicd and Nimh flawlessly.

It's available for slightly under $220 at Bishop Power Products for the one without the RS232. Like JS said, you will need to have a good, well regulated 12V-15V power supply.