Need a light for filling out forms, etc.

beezaur

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Guys,

I have a special purpose need that maybe you can help me out with -- I need a low-intensity light to use for filling out forms, reading and writing narratives, and the like.

I will use this mostly with clipboards, but not always. It should be essentially hands-free. Headlamps are out for other headgear, so I am thinking maybe some light that can clip to the zipper of a jacket.

It could also be something like an attachment to deflect a flashlight's light sideways, a kind of a lampshade of sorts. It wouldn't necessarily have to clip to anything. It just needs to light a flat area and stay put, for example, on a clipboard on my lap in a moving vehicle.

It should be weather resistant and provide several hours' runtime, preferrably LED, and flood is good.

I will use this both standing and sitting.

Any ideas?

Scott

X33

Enlightened
What about the Inova 24/7? It has a strong metal clip at the back. 4 white 5mmm LEDs with two brightness settings. Runs about 5 hours on one 123 cell IIRC. Also a nice red light setting and more. If you get the accessory pack with the light, that includes a magnetic holder that swivels 90 degrees and a neck lanyard and head strap. my two cent.

deranged_coder

Enlightened
Have you looked into book lights? I have seen several at bookstores (Barnes & Noble, Borders) that can clip onto a clipboard or back of a book and the light is a goose-neck type. Here is a photo of one I happen to have lying around, clipped to a book:

Booklight.jpg

That one pictured above uses coin cells but I have seen others that use AA batteries so it would be easy to use rechargeables.

SolarFlare

Enlightened
Photon III key chain light 3 brightess levels and other settings. You can use the split ring to put it on a zipper. You can hold it between your teeth or theres a clip here http://www.cfrlights.com/photonlight.html for boards or caps. They're cheap and run for a long time plus a lifetime warranty and cheap cells, plus a multitude of colours like red if you want to preserve your night vision.

Joseph

Enlightened
ear%20light%2001.jpg

I think this is the best light for your use.
You can find this at ebay.. Do search for "ear light" at ebay.

Joseph

beezaur

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow, you guys are great!

I like the looks of the Pelican VB3 and the Quiqlite, and I like the 24/7 too. I might be getting into national-level disaster work though, so I don't know about battery availability for coin cells and airline travel for the 24/7 (they seem to be getting sticky with 123 lithiums).

I can't use anything that will go in my mouth because of my fire department service. I will activate the light with gloved hands. . .

If there was a good way to attach an Infinity to my clothes and aim it too, that would be perfect. In fact, that is the light that I use for this role now. It just gets a little awkward holding it and writing, especially standing up.

The Streamlight ClipMate is maybe a little big, but it looks like the leader so far. Any other goose necks? I kinda like that idea.

Scott

Stanley

Flashlight Enthusiast
On top of the already mentioned great choices above, you should take a look at the Gerber Inferno and Gerber Mantis, which I think might fit the bill too....

Oh don't forget the UKE 2AAA eLed, which comes with a clip that'll clip to a baseball cap bill, might also work on your shirt collar too.

flashlite

Enlightened
I wonder if you could remove a PT Aurora from its headband and instead, attach it to a neck lanyard or some kind of clip. Since the light pivots, you could point it at your forms.