Hernia Surgery

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
I had the pleasure of receiving a hernia operation this morning, and I guess I'll survive. After dreading this for the last couple months it's finally done. Everyone told me not to worry, that it's totally routine, but it still had me nervous as a cat. I guess I'll be sore for about a week, but it's not too bad now. A few days off work never hurts.

Geoff

BVH

Flashaholic
I had double hernia surgery 4 months after open heart surgery. The double hernia surgery and recovery was, by FAR, the more painfull of the two! Go figure!

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
Been there done that as an infant a couple times and as an adult once. They told me, "to leave the hospital" I had to be able to eat, walk, and go to the bathroom.

(Gave me a "gortex" reinforcement screen, to help plug up weak holes I guess...so let's here it for DuPont!!)/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/clap.gif

Well, they let me pick my lunch and I figure I'll have something "healthy". I pick the tuna salad (tuna mixed with greens)...that dry tuna hit my throat and I started to choke. Coughed and let out quite a whooop I guess...I remember the nurse hollering out "morphine" and then saying something like it's going to be a little longer before I could leave after that! That morphine really kicked my butt - absolutely no pain though!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I guess I understand why people like morphine!

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I heard it's far, far easier these days then yesteryears due to more refined techniques. Is this true? In 1974 when I was 11 I had hernia surgery. I was really, really sore for at least a week, out of school for three weeks and at least a couple of months before I was physically fully functional.

karlthev

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had a hernia fix over 5 years ago, on my birthday believe it or not! I was out of the hospital that afternoon and, embarked on a vigorous exercise routine 6 weeks later. Still working out every day and in the best shape in many years. Now if I could only get the hair on my poor head to grow back...sigh! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
We can rebuild him /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif stronger, better, faster than he was before... We have the technology!

I also had one repaired, I was only 6 at the time and dont recall it being especially painful but I did get a couple of days off of school. By far the worst part was just being in the hospital overnight and then the general anesthesia which made me sick as a dog for 4 or 6 hours afterwards. But all of that has improved quite a bit since the 70's /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

so now you're re-inforced as sigman noticed /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif So you can go back to doing those strongman competitions without worry /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

prescottrecorder

Newly Enlightened
I had a repair a couple of years ago and pretty much had a week of hell followed by a longer period of milder discomfort. My doctor said if the repair is done laproscopically you get 3 days of pain, externally a week. Before any prospective repairees panic, though, in my case the pain reliever didn't work and made me sick and the substitute medication was pretty weak. I think I may have caused a problem by overusing ice packs too.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
This repair was done laproscopically. It was supposed to be a double, but the doc found a third. What a deal! I've got three small holes down the midline. The one just underneath the belly button was for the camera. So far the pain's not bad, but I am keeping up the percoset dosage. Looks like a week for recovery may be about right.

Geoff

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast
Glad to hear it went well. My dad has had surgery for those twice in his life. I have pain around wher emy ovaries would be if I was a women as well as around my waist line near my hip joints and lower parallel to my bladder. So far its just muscles. I find trying to cross my legs seems to ease the pain and adjusting my belt around my gut.

Latest posts