Converting 3-D Mag-Lite and 3-D Kel-Lite to LED

JAS

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was looking at the CCrane catalog tonight and saw that they have a bulb that will work with 4.5 volt flashlights. I took the Mag-Lite apart, but I couldn't get the Kel-Lite apart. Anyway, at about $20, is this a worthwhile upgrade, or am I much better off simply buying a dedicated LED flashlight? Or is there even less expensive LEDs that swap out in a 3-D Mag-Lite or Kel-Lite?

Entropy

Enlightened
FYI, those Luxeon LEDs are the equivalent of 10 or more 5mm LEDs. So they're likely to be a LOT brighter than the LED bulbs you found.

JAS

Flashlight Enthusiast
For now I just want a LED to put in my 3D Mag-Lite. I just want something that is "plug and play". That way I can switch back to an incandescent bulb if I want something with longer throw. I already have other lights if I need something very bright. So far I have found the following that look like they will work in a 3D Mag-Lite:

-C Crane 2-LED $19.95

-The LED Light 3-LED $18.95

-Holly Solar 3-LED $15.00

-LEDTronics 3-LED $18.00

JAS

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey Plinko and the group. I have looked at the Nichia 16 LED retrofit bulb for the Mag-Lite. It looks kind of interesting. At $30.00, with free shipping, is this a worthwhile deal? Are the Nichias a good company and do they make good LEDs? I am pretty new to the LED area. Like I said earlier, I have other brighter flashlights for longer throw, but since I already have a Mag-Lite and a Kel-Lite, both 3D, I just want to make them as useful as possible. It does sound like good battery life is possible with LEDs. Would this also work with the old Kel-Lite?