another light advice thread

Rogue_monkey

Enlightened
ok I seek your great advice once more. This time i'm looking for recommendations for a led light. specifications for the light.
- bright as possible.
- good hot spot with moderate side spill
- long run time
- runs on rechargeable AA or pila 168s
- under 50 US
- uses will be mainly night hikes, but some work with other ambient light in the room.
- stock from a store would be good, but a simple drop in would be ok too

I was thinking the SF G2 with the bug out gear 3W drop in as the g2 can be modded with many up grades and I've read great reviews about these lights. or the nexxtech 1w two stage light, the only thing i don't like about that light is size for a one cell light and it doesn't take pila's.

but you guys know more then I do so i'd like to hear what other options are out there and what you guys recommend

The_virus

Enlightened
Hmmm...well super bright spots and long run times usually don't go hand in hand.

I haven't experimented myself with battery types either, but it's better to check on a case-by-case basis with the manufacturer anyways to make sure you don't inadvertently void your warranty.

I'm not sure if you'd find the UK 4AA eLED bright enough, but it will run at the same output for about 20 hours, it is a Luxeon LED though, so it's not terribly dim. The Impact XL is slightly brighter (at least mine is) but it is not regulated like the UK is...Princeton Tec, the manufacturer says it provides something like 50 hours of useful light if I recall correctly. By hour 49 though, you'be be down to a very dim source. Both these lights can take what hiking will dish out though, the Impact XL is dive rated so you can drop it in a creek and it won't quit, the UK is water resistant, but still durable as far as shock resistance, it's just not 100% waterproof...if you're careful and attach a lanyard to yourself so you don't drop it, you should be fine though.

Check reviews of both at FlashlightReviews.com, both will be under the "Luxeon LED" section of reviews. I know the UK has a rechargeable version, but I don't know if the eLED model will take rechargeable cells, not sure about the PT Impact XL either.

LightObsession

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Rogue_monkey said:

I was thinking the SF G2 with the bug out gear 3W drop in as the g2 can be modded with many up grades and I've read great reviews about these lights. or the nexxtech 1w two stage light, the only thing i don't like about that light is size for a one cell light and it doesn't take pila's.

[/ QUOTE ]

The Nexxtech 1w two stage from Circuit City has a small, bright hot spot with a wide, but relatively dim side spill. My wife likes hers for walking between the house and car on dark nights.

The G2 ($32) + Bugoutgear 3w drop in ($40) would take you over your $50 limit unless you already have the G2.