Surefire E2L

ernsanada

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just received my Surefire E2L. Fit and finish is excellent.

The beam has a slight green tint to it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif No artifacts or junk in the beam. My Q-III has a whiter beam and more throw than the E2L. The E2L has more of a flood to it.

My Surefire L2 on its lower setting has more throw than the E2, which surprises me. If the L2 on it's lowest setting is 15 lumens. My guess is my E2L must be putting out around 12 or 13 lumens. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif

nexro

Enlightened
hmm, that doesn't sound good.

have you tried replacing the batteries with new ones?

maybe you should give a call to Surefire if the problem persists.

My KL1 head is definately brighter and throws further than my Q3 (both on R123).

voodoogreg

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
nexro said:
hmm, that doesn't sound good.

have you tried replacing the batteries with new ones?

maybe you should give a call to Surefire if the problem persists.

My KL1 head is definately brighter and throws further than my Q3 (both on R123).

[/ QUOTE ]

WORD.

I have three KL-1's one came on a E1L and two i put on VG FB-1 1X123 bodies. one KL-1 is greenish, but is also the brightest and longest throwing for some reason. I decided to keep it. I have (had,, daughter's now) a Q-III, and judging by your review, it should be brighter and throw WAY more then a Q-III. VDG

ernsanada

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nexro,

I put in new Surefire batteries with the same result.

I will e mail Surefire and ask if I could send my E2L back to them, so they can check it out the light. According to Surefire's specifications, the E2L should be putting out around 30 lumens.

nexro

Enlightened
Then I guess calling SF and explaining your problem to them should the solution /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

270winchester

Flashlight Enthusiast
Word, I can vouch for the E2l/E1l and the Nuwai all on R123's and the Kl1 definitely throws better and mroe of a spoit, but the Nuwai has a lot of spill so i like them both. Definitely do call Surefire, and are you sure you haven't gotten one of them "Error E2l" with the Kl4? That would explain the less throw and lots of spill....

Nick

buba

Newly Enlightened
Do you get one of the 'Error' E2L's with the L2 5W direct drive head instead of the KL1 head? What are the markings on the Head of your E2L?

ernsanada

Flashlight Enthusiast
Buba,

The head has no markings on it. The only printing on the head is " Caution: Hot Surface. "

The E2L is supposed to come with a " Domed Pyrex Lens with Diamond Beam Pattern. " The lens on mine is a flat Pyrex Lens, similar to the lens I have on my L2.

nexro

Enlightened
oops, sounds like one of those "error" E2L.
Where did you get it from?

The KL1 head should have a "KL1" followed by the serial.

nexro

Enlightened
The description states that: "Domed Pyrex Lens with Diamond Beam"
Maybe you would want to call them up and ask for a replacement?

Does your E2L head looks like the L2 head (with a reflector instead of an optic) ?

ernsanada

Flashlight Enthusiast
The head looks exactly the same as the L2. It has a textured reflector with a flat Pyex lens. Circumference is the same but the E2L head is about 3/16" longer.

buba

Newly Enlightened
You have an 'error' E2L with 5W L2 head instead of KL1. Call surefire customer service and see what they want you to do.

You may be getting offers from some of the space needle modders on this forum. The L2 head will direct drive great with two 3.7V r123 rechargable cells or 3 CR123 cells. Take a look at the dealers forum for posts about the 'error' E2L's

ernsanada

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am not sure it is the " error E2L head " because the output of the light is not very bright. My guess its putting out around 13 lumens.

I called Surefire and they told me to send back the light to The Product Wizard, where I purchased the light. Surefire thinks they might have changed the head on it. But when I received the package it looked factory sealed. I will probably send back the to The Producr Wizard.

deranged_coder

Enlightened
The KL1 head on the E2L should look like this:

KL1head.jpg

If the head you have does not look like this, then that is the wrong head and you should definitely get a replacement.

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast
ernsanda: it definitely is an error head...the error heads (if i recall correctly) are basically KL4 heads with no regulation. the E2L should come with a 4th generation KL1 head, which uses a TIR optic not a reflector, and the lens should be domed.

the surefire rep you spoke to might not be aware of this problem yet...try emailing stuart to see if he can help you /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

edit: i see deranged_coder has already posted a picture of the 4th generation KL1 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

ernsanada

Flashlight Enthusiast
Deranged_coder,

My head does not look like the KL-1 head. Not domed but flat pyrex lens with a reflector. The E2L looking identical to the L2, but the E2L head being about 3/16" longer.

I swaped out the head on my L2 and the head from the E2L. When I turned on the L2, the E2L head worked the same. I could get the low and high beams.

Does anybody know if a 3 watt head would be able to do that ?

ernsanada

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does anybody have a picture they could post of the " error 5 watt head "?