MJLED x 3 AAA NiMh?

Darkstar

Newly Enlightened
I believe tnat the MJLED is rated for a max nominal voltage of 3.6. Would I be able to safely drive one in my Rayovac headlamp?

Thanks

davidefromitaly

Enlightened
if you use only one led i think it is a bit overdrived because the voltage don't drop (usually a ni-mh fresh of charger is around 1,35v)

is best to use 3-4 leds so the voltage drop further and they are less overdrived

WildRice

Flashlight Enthusiast
FWIR the MJLED voltage is between 3.1 and 3.4v allowing it to be happy with alky or LI's, 3.6v will more than likely toast it. You would most likely need a dropping resistor to limit current to 100-120mA. Somebody chime in on the current specs as I am only guessing.
Jeff

Bimmerboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
The MJLED unresistored on a 14500 is pretty risky. More than one person is running that combo with success although I'm not sure how... I tried it and fried it in under 10 seconds. The battery hadn't seen a charger in weeks, but it made no difference to that poor LED though.
The 14500, if I have this correct, is 4.1 - 4.2V (fresh off charger, no load), dropping to 3.6V under load. The Vf of the MJ, though opinion seems to vary on this, is roughly in the 3 - 3.6 range, so you're a little outside the safe territory. If you get a runaway LED, the 14500 is happy to provide the current needed to produce smoke.
So, can anyone recommend what ohm/watt resistor is good to limit a 14500 to about 100 ma, or even around 110 - 120 for a little overdrive?
I'm also wondering if just adding a Kroll introduces enough resistance to bring current down to a semi-safe range.

Davidefromitaly - just to understand, why does driving more than one LED from 3 X NiMH drop voltage? Is it because the larger load from three LED's causes the batteries to sag a little?

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would safely say that 3-4 5mm leds won't cause NiMH to drop in voltage at all.

Heck, even 3x LuxIII driven at 1 amp won't cause NiMH to have much voltage sag!!!

Bimmerboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
True. 4 of them would only take around 400ma (if I understand it correctly). CBP1650's would laugh.
Upon re-reading, was david saying that using more LED's would cause the "fresh off the charger" voltage to go down quicker?