mods for a SF 9z?

gumby223

Newly Enlightened
First I'd like to say hello to everyone. I've been a flashlight nut for years now, and I just found this site. It's great, I never would have known there were so many other flashlight nuts like me out there. haha Also, I'm just getting started and I've already been offered help posting pics on the site, thanks comseur, which let's me know that yall really care and can be helpful.

Anyway, I am a police officer in the Houston, TX area and lights are a part of my life. I couldn't do without them. I have an old surefire 9z that I carry on my belt and I use it when I don't have my big flashlight with me (sl20xp or sl20xpled, which ever one i have charged at the time). I'm interested in modding the 9z if there are any possibilities out there. It takes three cr123's and it has a p90 bulb assembly in it. I was thinking of a drop in led bulb assembly or something to that effect. I need it to be bright, like around 120 to 200 lumens (I think the p90 puts out 120), and I don't want to go through batteries all the time. If you look at the pic I've posted, you can see I have a red filter on it as well. I need to be able to keep that on, or get a new one to fit the new light head/bulb assembly. I use this for tactical reasons, i.e. I don't want to let the bad guys know where I'm at until I'm ready to blind them with the light. I did do a search for the 9z, and I couldn't find any previous posts (this light is so old that some of you probably haven't even heard of it, or maybe you have, lol). I like the pila gl4 with the 195 lumens, but the head on it is big (maybe too big for a red filter), it is long, and the tailcap is big. Which brings me to another point.

I carry the 9z in a surefire holster on my belt. I would like to replace the endcap with a clicky cap if they make one for this light. Surefire's website doesn't list the 9z anywhere, but I'm sure the 9p endcap would work. But, will this endcap fit into the holster without activating the light? Maybe someone can answer this before I buy one. I think that's all for now. I appreciate everyone's help, and I love this site. See yall later, gumby223.

I've also included some other pics for yall to look at, there of my lights, some for weapons and some for in-hand use. Enjoy!!!

click here for photo 1
click here for photo 2
click here for photo 3
click here for photo 4
click here for photo 5

<font color="red">Edited by Size15s because the photos were too large.</font>

Mike 161

Newly Enlightened
The 9Z was replaced by the slightly different Z3 (the model I have) a few years ago; the Z3 was discontinued (IIRC) in 2003, but can still be found NIB. The only 3 cell Combat Lights still listed by SureFire are the C3 and the M3/M3T.

Parts for the C3 should work with the 9Z (same body diameter); a click-on tailcap for this model is either the Z58 or Z59, and a LED conversion kit would be either a KL3 (one watt LED) or a KL5 (five watt LED).

I don't know if it matters to you, but I believe all the LED conversion
kits are finished in HA3 (the 9Z/Z3 is HA2 black); the click-on switches also come in different finishes (I think the Z59 is the HA2 black finish). I would call SureFire (800-828-8809) or check their website to make sure.

Also keep in mind the LED conversion
kits will not generate the "throw" the standard P90/P91 lamp assemblies do. If you use the 9Z for armed encounters and searches, I would suggest you stay with the P90/P91 system (nearby light sources tend to effect LED light beams).

Hope this helps.

Mike