Looking for a Blue blinky bike-lite thingy.

Lunal_Tic

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm trying to track down a AA/AAA powered blinking <font color="blue"> blue </font> multi LED light like the bicycle tail lights I've got. The light I've got in mind would have a clip of some sort to attach to clothing etc..

Any ideas?

TIA,
-LT <font color="blue"> </font>

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
Hmmm, you could always mod one of those "inexpensive Flashling LED Safety Lights". The Deal Site seems to have the "BEST" price I've found on them?

I'm not sure about your local regulations, but I believe there are restrictions as to who can use certain flashing colors and for what purposes here (I believe that flashing blue is pretty much reserved for Law Enforcement Agencies?).

Lunal_Tic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sigman,

Thanks for the link. In the States IIRC red and blue can't be in the same fixture but I'm not in the US right now. I've seen a single blue setup here but it runs on N cells.

Also I think blue LEDs would need a boost circuit of some kind so modding one of the red light setups might be tough.

-LT

Leeoniya

Enlightened
well, this isnt exactly multi-LED..it's a blue luxeon emitter. and it doesnt run on AAs, it runs on a CR123. but i designed one for almost that purpose.

check this thread

Leon

Lunal_Tic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the link Leeoniya. Looks sweet but I'm not much with soldering anything smaller than about 10ga. multi strand.

-LT

Velcro

Enlightened
I'm a bike blinkie nut and know all the lights that are available. There are very few blue LED lights and they are hard to find. The N-cell light you mentioned (which I assume is a Knightlite model?) is one of the few and is pretty neat but like you said, it only has one LED. Vistalite used to make a light with three red and two blue LED's called the "polizia" but they discontinued it. I know it's not all blue but it might suit your needs. It might circle around in Tokyo. Here's a pic:
5bll-019.gif

Just a little heads-up: on Ebay you can sometimes find blinkies (the same like the one in Sigman's link) with a blue cover but they are actually dim yellow/green LED's so don't buy into that.

The best thing you could do is buy a light with three or more white LED's and swap them with blue. It only requires a bit of soldering which really isn't that difficult. Hope this helps.

Lunal_Tic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Velcro,

Thanks for the ideas. I just got a couple like in Sigman's link but from the "dollar" store here. They had one that uses AAA but has a clear lens and red LEDs. I was trying to figure out how to get blues to work but a light that started white would be easier as you point out.

-LT

Velcro

Enlightened
The most suitable lights that come to my mind are the white LED version of the Cateye LD500 and the white LED version of the Vistalite Nebula. They both feature a reflector, 3 LED's and a clip so you can attach it to your clothing. The Cateye runs on 2xAAA and the Nebula on 2xAA.

cateye%20hl-ld500.jpg
whitecat.jpg

Cateye LD500

13489_1.jpg

Vistalite Nebula

I'm trying to make a blue LED light myself using a light that had green LED's originally. If you're interested, you might want to read this thread.

Velcro

Enlightened
Yeah I already know that light, but it's a finished light so it would be no fun to me. I'd rather build something myself and learn along the way. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif But it does seem perfect for you (although a little pricey). You could try and ask him if he could make one for you with blink mode.

Oh btw, I'm not sure if the Cateye has a clip on it. Have to look that up.

Lunal_Tic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Velcro,

Actually it's not finished, only Craig's light was. If you follow the link at the top of that page it takes you to the guy's site where you can order just the board or board and the LEDs.

I like the spider LEDs but to get just them from Future is a pain. I think you have to get a bunch not just 5-6.
-LT