question @ Mcgizmo

Kaneda

Newly Enlightened
Have I understood correctly that you make a
beautiful flashlight called "Mclux" ?
I've seen a picture (WOW!) and I've read a review.
How bright is it in comparison to an ARC-LS (1W) and how much does it cost ?
Thanks,

Kaneda

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
it shold be brighter because it is being driven harder, and because they are currently using excellent emitters.
turn-key units are going to sell at $125.

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Hello Kaneda,

I have been involved in a project flashlight, called the McLux and have made as well as assembled a few, yes. For information on the McLux as a flashlight being offered for sale, please see:

McLux TK: Sale Information

In regards to how it compares to the Arc LS in terms of brightness I have a few comments to make:

The McLux TK will host a Bad Boy constant current driver with a typical output of 400 mA. Depending on the Arc LS in question, the McLux may have more or less luminous output. There are Arc LS's with the LED's driven at current levels from 330 to 500 mA if I recall correctly. The latest version of the Arc, the LS-L and LS-H are driving the LED's at a lower rate of current so it is possible that the McLux will provide a higher flux than the Arc. However, the McLux is optimized around the use of a flood reflector so if a measure of brightness is taken at a spot within the beam (lux or candela readings) the Arc will show a much higher reading and thus could be deemed brighter.

The McLux can host a collimator lens as the Arc LS does but in the case of the McLux, the collimator, by default is held above the LED by about .025" or .64 mm. This is the case for many reasons that I won't get into but the result is that the beam from the McLux with a collimator will still score below the Arc LS if the center of beam is measured by a light meter.

The McLux TK's will have Q rank Luxeons within so in theory, by tweaking the position of the collimator (dropping it) the McLux can be as bright if not brighter than an Arc LS.

The light output can be very similar between the two depending on the form of light distribution chosen on the McLux. The flashlight housings of the Arc LS and the McLux are considerably different in design goals as well as size. The Arc is significantly shorter.

In all fairness, I would like to make one other observation even though it has not been asked (heck I've probably put you to sleep already but wake up for this comment
smile.gif
):

The Arc LS is a professionally designed and manufactured flashlight by someone near and dear to many CPFers due to his relentless pursuit of perfection per his design criteria. It is backed by a comprehensive warranty and the customer service from Arc is all most could hope for.

The McLux on the other hand is an idea that has become a reality at the hands of a group of stinky fellows, most of whom have real jobs, outside of flashlights. I have strong doubts about this group; this is why I consider them friends. Anyway, The McLux is a one shot deal, pretty much, and as soon as we get the money we plan to...........

Just kidding; but in one final attempt of seriousness, we aren't a professional flashlight manufacturer and don't claim to be. Once you have received a working McLux, you are pretty much on your own. You will most likely be very happy with it!

In case you are considering getting one or the other, I'll let someone else clue you into the proper path to follow...........

- Don

I see Rothrander gave you a shorter answer than mine but I'm sure you will appreciate my longer answer as well as feeble attempt at wit.

mst3k

Enlightened
It's the hand made One-of-a-kind love aspect of it that makes me want it the most. The whole concept rocks. A bunch of guys who love flashlights made something for themselves that make "them" drool!!! Hell that's good enough for me! And I, for one, because of the type of work I do, love the McFlood reflector. I need a great close up light. This seems to fit the bill. The artistry of the design is also just the best. Its a love that designed and made them and it is that very love that will sell them. I can't wait.

Crap did I say "love" too many times?? Those aren't pillows!!!!!! What about them Bears???
smile.gif

Darell

Flashaholic
Hey, I know that *I'm* feeling the love now, mst3k! Makes me all warm and fuzzy inside.
smile.gif

Man, ya got Don wound up there pretty well. Good on you Keneda!

And Don - we ALL have "real" jobs outside of flashlights. Some of those jobs are just more traditional... and actually come complete with a paycheck and something that borders on a "schedule." Just felt like pointing that out.
smile.gif

OK, carry on...

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by McGizmo:
In all fairness, I would like to make one other observation even though it has not been asked ...
The Arc LS is a professionally designed and manufactured flashlight by someone near and dear to many CPFers due to his relentless pursuit of perfection
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Awww, I think it's time for a group hug here.

Seriously though, I really enjoy this forum because of this kind of graciousness and humility. I own many Arc's and plan on acquiring more, and hope to have one of these McLux TK added to my collection. I feel it is one of those collectors items that every flashaholic should have (if he can get one
grin.gif
)

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Saaby,

I think you're a motor head!!!
grin.gif
tongue.gif
Just curious, do you dream in two wheel drive, 4X4 or positraction?
icon15.gif

- Don

Saaby

Flashaholic
Ack! Don't say Positraction you Safari driver you
wink.gif

Right now I dream in EV but it varies...

jmm

Newly Enlightened
...in the case of the McLux, the collimator, by default is held above the LED by about .025" or .64 mm. This is the case for many reasons that I won't get into...
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Don - I for one would appreciate it if you would share your thoughts on this subject with us some time. Seems to me like a certain bunch of "non professional flashlight designers" have done an exemplary job of following the Luxeon spec for mounting the NX05 collimator, thereby avoiding the "awash in a sea of extruded goo" syndrome (a.k.a. the "F" word). I have noted the flat face on the LED end of the McFlood reflector, and assumed it was a design feature intended to address the issue in a different way when that part was used (but one which made sense to me).

It is exactly this kind of attention to detail that makes me want a McLux.

John

Wolfen

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wish I haven't blown so much money on B.S. lights. But I have and I can't afford another 1 watt LS right now. McGizmo, that is the stoutest looking light have have seen in awhile.

Can I have one in 5 watt SE configuration?

B@rt

Flashaholic
Wolfen,
sure you can!
grin.gif

There is a little catch though: you will have to order the parts from dat2zip's sandwich shop and assemble it yourself....
winkie.GIF

Try to get the "longtail" for that power hungry beast...
cool.gif
yellowlaugh.gif

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
please, tell us mcgizmo...i'm looking into designing a light myself, and this information would really help i think...

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Jmm,

It was difficult to determine what the critical dimensions for the McFlood reflector should be which would both allow for tolerance variations on it as well as the variations likely to be encountered in various applications and uses of the McFlood. In many mods, the optic and LED are part of the power train and included in a columnar compression load. The shape of the standard optic is dictated by the need for TIR and proper light redirection. The reflector is not so constrained. I felt that I could allow more material at the LED end of the reflector without causing interference in use but also allowing for spreading the compression load over the outer edge of the LED base.

The McLux doesn't require the optic element or the LED to be in a compression chain. The optic or reflector is held in a dampened method by the O-ring compression at the lens end. It seemed that keeping the reflector or optic from actual contact with the LED would be friendlier to the LED as well as allowing for various LED's to be mounted; SE's, HD's, LD's in both 1 and 5W. The group, in discussion, decided to keep the optic/ reflector raised above the LED. Some folks prefer the optic above and for those who prefer the optic seated on the LED, the lip of the optic can be removed. In the case of the LD's, if you are after the bright pin point of light in the center of the beam, the optic does need to be dropped. Others prefer a softened beam with more flood and less artifacts (un focused).

Mr. Bulk has a McLux and he was quick to notice the elevation of the optic and inquired regarding this. Frankly, most of us have been using the McLux with the McFlood reflector and were not paying close attention to the effect of the production parts on the Optic. After discussing this potential, less than optimal positioning of the Optic for maximum throw, we decided to stick with the current configuration due to its other benefits. The counter bored shoulder can always be turned deeper on a single unit or better yet, the lip of an optic can be removed.

- Don

jmm

Newly Enlightened
Don - Thanks for the detailed explanation. I suspected it was going to make sense, and wasn't disappointed. I appreciate the fact that the collective has positioned the standard McLux a little differently than most other current 1W Luxeon light offerings. I agree that you can get away with running the McFlood in compression, as you have provided a mechanism for spreading the force applied to the emitter body.

I was particularly glad to see that the MacLux design provided for the specified NX05 clearance when that option is in place because it has always bothered me that so many other lights run standard Lumileds collimators in compression, when the manufacturer specifically says not to (and I've seen scary amounts of "goo" extruded from 1W Luxeons as a result). I've epoxied a .025" or so thick stainless "washer" to a few emitter bodies, and shortened the collimator a bit to provide a wider, flat bearing surface in mods where a compression approach was difficult to avoid (and noted the loss of more than a few lux in the process). It appears that Lumileds no longer lists (or offers?) the round black spacer for the "Star" assemblies which used to provided the specified gap automagically.

But alas, as you point out, there are those times when the main objective is to get every possible photon into a compact central beam pattern, and running an unmodified NX05 in compression seems to squeek out a few more Lux. I do it too, but I worry about it.

Thanks again, and thanks to everyone involved for making the McLux available to us.

John