MJLED getting better with use (less green)

Bimmerboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
At first, the look was not too good with alkalines, better with lithiums (2 X E2 AA's) but still not great. Now, over the last week or so as it's being used, it's getting less green, shifting closer to white with a little touch of blue. It's becoming more pleasant to look at through use.
I figure mine can't be the only one. Is anyone else observing the same phenomenon happening?

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Bimmerboy said: Now, over the last week or so as it's being used, it's getting less green, shifting closer to white with a little touch of blue. It's becoming more pleasant to look at through use.
I figure mine can't be the only one. Is anyone else observing the same phenomenon happening?

[/ QUOTE ]

I have similar experience -

BUT I know it's my brain making compensations and kind of "wishful thinking".

I have two MJLEDs #1 (my notation, both are gen 2) is definitely greener/yellower than the other.

There are definitely times when I think MJLED #1's light tint looks about "perfect" - any time that happens I compare it directly side-by-side with a reference standard - like my 1watt Luxeon S1801 -
and that puts me firmly back in my place.

MJLED_S1801_2U.jpg

So despite me thinking the color has gotten better - it has NOT.

Try comparing with a reference.

BTW - just to put things into context - I actually think I prefer this slightly yellow with green tint MJLED #1 over the "whiter" MJLED #2 - mainly because of the yellower sunlight like tint - the green kind of makes it look like the color of sunlight in the countryside (among greenery) so it's more "natural" to me than any "pure white" or blue-white.

MJLED212U.jpg

Please see lots more comparison beamshots (MJLEDs all on plain Alkalines) at:
MJLED drop-in for MiniMag 2AA

unclearty

Enlightened
I installed on in a MM...with new alkaline AA's , it had that slight green tinge to it. Swapped out to a pair of L91's and it's as white as a 1 watt Lux.

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
I took some more comparative beamshots between my MJLEDs #1 & #2 (my notation, both gen 2s).

This time instead of the usual hotspot shots - moved the lights much closer to the target paper to encompass the entire beam so the beamshots are showing the side-spill much more and emphasizing the colors more too.

MJLED2Fbeams.jpg
MJLED2Fbeams2U.jpg

Both the MJLEDs are on less than fresh plain Alkalines with #2 somewhat less fresh than those in #1 - but as can be seen MJLED #1 is still distinctly more yellow-green than #2 - and these have been used daily since I got them with (obviously) MJLED #1 more used since it's several days older.

Even though the alkaline batteries are more used/less fresh in MJLED #2 - its whiter beam has not deteriorated to show any more green than before.
(one can just tell MJLED #2 is not quite as bright as MJLED #1 in these shots, whereas I would say #2 was a shade brighter than #1 when they both had fresh batteries)

As far as I can tell there is no improvement in the color tint - it's just that I am more used to it and know what to expect.

However I defintitely feel I can see slightly better with MJLED #1's yellower/greener beam.......

Gene

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the "heads-up" Bimmer! I had one of the gen.2 MJ's and didn't know what to do with it since I don't own a mini mag. I did however still have the body and head left over from an Ozark Trails 2XAA. I had used the clickie out of it for Chop's G2 clickie conversion that I did a long time ago. I thought I'd try to see if I could mod it to accept the MJ. I got it to work but it had the green tint so many have experienced. Not really a bad beam but I could definitely see the green as in some of Vincent's nice shots, (thanks Vincent!), above.

After seeing your thread here, I took the alkalines out of it and popped in a pair of lithium AA's and that did it! Whitened it right up. As I said, the MJ's beam was green and it wasn't horrible but just like unclearty's experience above, the lithiums transformed the MJ's beam color.

rwolff

Enlightened
I'm a bit confused about MJLEDs. According to what I've seen about them, they run at 100 mA, but elsewhere I've seen that for thermal reasons, the most you can put through a 5mm package on a continuous basis is around 30 mA. Are the LEDs from which the MJLEDs are created rated at 100 mA continuous? Also, when comparing one of them to one of the eBay 26k mCD LEDs, are the (pre)MJLEDs brighter at the same current (i.e. more efficient), or do they get their brightness simply by being able to handle more current?

Mags

Flashlight Enthusiast
Whats all the fuss about MJs? Can someone tell me what is so good about them?

Grubbster

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Mags said:
Whats all the fuss about MJs? Can someone tell me what is so good about them?

[/ QUOTE ]
It is a cheap, simple way to upgrade the MM to a better bulb with longer runtime. Despite all the hooha about color and brightness, I still think it is better than the original bulb.

moraino

Enlightened
Like rwolff said, can someone compare the output between 26000mcd and the mj by running the same 20mA.

Bimmerboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Vincent - Good point. I would agree with you if not for a couple of things in this case.
I'm definitely no LED expert, but at first, even with the lithium's it was still greenish looking with no blue. It's been my most often used light over the last couple weeks now, but it has also been compared to a couple others throughout that time for reference, as well as many looks against varying white surfaces.
Whereas there previously was no blue at all, and not even much white, it's now white with a hint of blue. Any other lights in the house have remained consistent in their color.
I'm just wondering, if like Lux's, these also go through a Vf reduction during some initial amount of burn-in time, effectively causing a higher nominal current draw. Especially when driven to spec or slightly overdriven. They are, after all, 5mm LED's pumping 100ma as compared to 20 - 30ma for conventional 5mm's.

Mags - Again, not being "da LED man" by any means, I'd say all the hoopla is the fact that they really are pretty darn bright for 5mm. And my guess from what I'm reading, is that they are definitely brighter than the 26,000mcd's, while also having a much wider beam angle thanks to the Mike Jordan grind and polish job he does on them. I don't have any 26,000's to compare to, but the MJ's are bright little "dark suckers" when driven properly. The side emitter-like properties of the grind job make it work well with a reflector.

EDIT: just saw a closeup of die size comparison between the MJ's and 26,000's at this thread.
MJLED drop-in for MiniMag 2AA
Damn thing's huge!