Please help me understand and decide on light

Sproles

Newly Enlightened
I am looking at a good backpack backup light. I have a Streamlight TL3 (xenon) for my "gun light" that sleeps next to my home defense handgun and it is very nice for that. I daily carry a Nuwai III in my pocket and I would like to add something to my daily backpack carry that goes with me everywhere (typically driving.) I have looked at a TON of lights and I am not sure what I want (exactly) but have looked at a few lights. Can I please post the 3 or 4 that I am considering and have you guys steer me in one direction or another. I have SureFire lights and they are very nice, but for the money, they are HIGH. I know, I know the addage "you get what you pay for" but I don;t need a light that can go to Iraq and survive 3 tours...just a light for my pack in case I am without a working vehicle, need ot find something lost in the grass and it takes 2 hours or want to walk around the block and want to have something brigh enough to shock and large enough to hit someone with if needed (not as a baton, but as a "fill up your fist if you need to" type of light.) I know that these scenarios are all quite few and far between, so are alot of things that we prepare for, but I like to be prepared.

Here are some lights that I am looking at:
Nuwai ALX 352
Inova T3
Inova X03 (cannot tell the differences between this and T3)
Pelican M6 or M6 LED
Streamlight TL 2 or 3 (LED probably)

What would you suggest. I have a PentagonLight X2 (xenon) that I am wanting to get rid of (brand new) because it is way to well made for what I need it for. (Hope that makes sense) The value of it (it has the type III military spec HA) is around $60, so I would like to keep the light in that aprox price range if possible.

I look forward to your replies.

David

Malpaso

Enlightened
As I was reading your narrative, before I got to the list, I was thinking Pelican. You list the M6, have you looked at the Recoil 2010?

The_virus

Enlightened
The difference between the Inova XO3 and T3 are the looks, and the swtich at the back. The T3 is textured along the body, and has a click on/off switch. The XO3 has a smooth body with a push momentary on button, and a twist constant on cap.

A Pelican would be good, Streamlight TaskLights are nice too. I have a 3AA Luxeon one and I love it. A Gerber LX 3.0 is similar, it's really bright (brighter than my TaskLight 3AA) and uses AAs just like the Streamlight TaskLight. Streamlight also has their ProPolymer line you could look at, available in LED and Luxeon LED.

A Princeton Tec "Tec 40" is a good sized incandescent light, uses 4 AAs and is really bright, a LED bulb might be a better idea though. The PT Impact XL is similar to the Tec 40, just it uses a Luxeon LED instead of the incandescent bulb.

Are you looking for a light that runs on AAs or are you leaning towards 123 cells? Maybe you'd find the AA lights I suggested too long?

Sproles

Newly Enlightened
Battery choices don't really matter, however, all my others run on 123s and it would be nice to only have one type of backup/refill battery needed.

I agree that LED would be the best idea. So, make suggetsions (your top 3 picks) based on LED and 123s in the package. Length does not REALLY matter to me.

Thanks for the replies and keep them coming.
David

DimBeam

Enlightened
The Nuwai 352 is a five watt luxeon with 3 brightness levels. It is built like a tank and costs around $70.

Grubbster

Enlightened
I agree with the Nuwai ALX-352. Strong as a mother and has 3 light levels to fit your needs. Only thing I don't like about it is the switch. It is very (read too) easy to come on when you don't want it too. I have been thinking about adding some kind of build up around mine to make it less easy to activate. That would make it the perfect light I think.

bjn70

Flashlight Enthusiast
I carry a Pelican M6 LED in my car and I like it a lot. I have heard that the new Streamlight TL-2 LED is at least equal to the Pelican and better in some ways. I have a Nuwai TM115 that I like also (2 light levels). For that matter there is nothing wrong with the Inovas. All of these lights are good. You could probably pick one with your eyes closed and be happy with it.

enLIGHTenment

Enlightened
The Nuwai ALX-352 is heavy and awkward. It'd be great as a club, but at 247 grams, it'd be pain to carry around on a regular basis. I relegated my ALX-032L (the Lux III version of the same light) to home use for just this reason.

The incand Pelican M6 and Streamlight TL-2 have sixty minute runtimes and, therefore, would not be good choices to take on a two hour dog walk. The M6, however, is by far the brightest light in your selection.

The Pelican M6 LED is unregulated and, as such, will only have peak output for the first 15-30 minutes of runtime. This could be a problem as the M6 LED is already a bit weak.

The TL-2 LED and the Inova lights have essentially the same output and runtime. Overall differences between these lights are minor (e.g. the T3 has a type III-HA finish while the TL-2 has an anti-roll head, the Inovas can't take rechargable 123s, etc) and a choice could be based entirely on asthetic grounds. You can't go wrong with any of these lights.

Vortex

Newly Enlightened
The virus made an awesome suggestion with the gerber Lx 3.0
I have one and for $40 from batterystation it kicks butt!! Great build quality, Great beam and brightness and a perfectly white tint too!! Also it only uses three AA batteries. I keep it in my glove box with a 12 pack of fresh batteries. Personally I chose it because it is a work horse with the cheapest and most commonly available batteries. I was gonna purchase an X03 instead but I'm glad I didn't because a 2 pack of CR123 is like $15 at wallmart.
Ohh and to hit someone it's perfect, it is nice, heavy and thick walled. You can use it to strike an opponent in the temples or hit them on the inside of the arm on the bicep.
Personally I think it is my favorite light and everyone that I show it wants it! for 40 bucks you can't go wrong.

cheesehead

Flashlight Enthusiast
T3 can be momentary on, OR clicked on and off. It also throws almost as well as an incandescent (which is impressive for an LED). Also, it sounds a little smaller than the Nuwai, 247 grams. It's built like a tank. And after 2 hours, it still has useable light for several more hours, unlike the incandescents. It's a great backup light in that respect, because it'll always be working.

enLIGHTenment

Enlightened
The T3 is indeed a fair bit smaller than the Nuwai.

side5am.jpg

front9zr.jpg

enLIGHTenment

Enlightened
I only have the Lux III version of the Nuwai light (ALX-032L), not the Lux IV ALX-352L that the original poster is looking at.

FWIW, the T3 makes the 032 look like a candle. The 032's reflector wastes a huge amount of light in dim spill while the T3 TIROS throws everything forwards.

Here's a beamshot:
beamshot9tt.jpg

T3 on the right...

Incidentally, the ALX-032L, ALX-352L and T3 all have the same throw ratings on FLR. I don't know what's up with that--my 032L is definitely far dimmer than my T3.

Sproles

Newly Enlightened
I have officially ruled out the Nuwai - they are just too dang big. GREAT lights for the car or the house, but not for a bag to carry. So, another thing that I am trying to find is a light whose head is NOT 1.25" in diameter (Nuwai) and also MIGH, just might have multiple output modes. I know that the Nuwai did and also the Streamlight twintask 2 does. What are your thoughts on that light. The Gerber looks great but is probably alittle long (for my desired location in the bag - picky pikcy picky, right?) If it is not the TwinTask2, then the Inova is getting to look awfully good.

Please advise.
David

Sproles

Newly Enlightened
After further review - I belive that I am going to go for an Inov T3 - this baby looks awesome. Unless someone can convince me otherwise - this one looks like it will fit my bill. The head is alittle big and it is slightly longer than I wanted, but it fits the output, LED, on/off and momentary, CR123s...pretty much everything is in it.

Thanks, as always, for your help.

Now, anyone want to buy a NIB PentagonLights X2 Xenon in HA finish or trade for a T3? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif