Any chance of a AA powered SF?

Mags

Flashlight Enthusiast
Surefire products are nice. The only problem I have with them is that not a single one of them are AA powered or use at least common batteries. Is there a chance there will be a AA powered SF in the near future? Perhaps Al knows about anything like this?

UVvis

Enlightened
I doubt it,

Surefire is about making smaller, brighter and more advanced lights. AA would be a step backwards for them, which would be making bigger lights.

MaxaBaker

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmmm....seems to me that they should make at least one model using standard batteries. The only thing that kept me (until recently) and several other people I know from getting SureFires has been the expensive style batts. Step back or not, they could probably benefit from it in the profit area.

DimBeam

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Mags said:
Surefire products are nice. The only problem I have with them is that not a single one of them are AA powered or use at least common batteries. Is there a chance there will be a AA powered SF in the near future? Perhaps Al knows about anything like this?

[/ QUOTE ]

It would be a big step backwards for them. I do think that in the next few years the 123 batteries will keep dropping in price.

UVvis

Enlightened
Especially when you consider that 123 cells run about a buck each or so as is, and have a freakishly long shelf life.

Sure I wouldn't mind a replacement body for a classic series that took NiMH batteries, but look at it from their standpoint. Everyone makes AA lights, like the minimag. So for a xenon lamp, you are going to have to spend either a lot of time($) in R&D to either make a two cell light, that will cost more and be low performance compared to everything else they make, ex. E1e. Or, make a light that costs as much as other surefires, uses standard surefire components, and uses lots of batteries which people will complain about.

They have a huge market in tactical lights and equipment, and they are doing very well.

cheesehead

Flashlight Enthusiast
I doubt the AA's could keep up with the current demands of a bright light. For example, the Surge, it takes 8 alkalines to do what 2 123s do. Sure the 8 alkalines last longer, but they dim sooner too.

Mags

Flashlight Enthusiast
Isnt the surge supposed to compete with 4x123 lights?

Size15's

Flashaholic
SureFire will continue to use their SF123A as their primary cell.
There are no plans to make any SureFires that use Alks that I'm aware of.

revolvergeek

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mags,

You mean like a 4-AA E2 like this one?? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

standard.jpg

You have to have dspeck make you one. It has extras thick walls and will only fit AA cells. I have run MN02 and MN03 bulb and a KL1 on alkalines and NiMHs with no trouble (other than the NiMHs being a little short and having to make a shim to get good contact on the KL1).

Danny

Latest posts