MXDL Lithium Ion 5 watt Luxeon flashlight.

MillerMods

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am in the process of modifying the little 3 watt Luxeon 3 AAA battery flashlights that you see on ebay all of the time. It will use a single 1400 mAh cell and run for an hour flat on one charge. I plan on selling this as a kit starting at my cost $75.00 on ebay with a charger and 2 cells. I am an Engineering Technician for an Engineering Firm that fulfills design contracts for all branches of the military, Lockheed Martin, Boeing, and others. I have a very good sense for excellent design. The prototype I have drives the 5 watt Luxeon very well to full power, the lithium ion battery will be thermally insulated and protected from low voltage by the step up circuit. This little flashlight will get quite warm but shouldn't get too hot to handle. It maybe possible that leaving it on with out holding it could allow it to get rather hot; I haven't done any thermal testing yet, I just started the project. Let me know if I am wasting my time or if someone already has this sort of flashlight. I am new here and hope to find a market with this idea.

Tritium

Enlightened
Which MXDL? The one with the LED mounted in the head and a tail clicky or the one with the LED mounted in the body and a twisty switch? Personally I prefer the 1st type better.

B@rt

Flashaholic
Hi MillerMods, welcome to CPF!

welcome.gif
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

MillerMods

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks Bart, here are the latest photos. It can use either 3 rechargable AAA batteries or a single lithium ion 1400 mAh battery. I just got it together this evening so I haven't got to do run time records on it. My calculation read that it should run for about a half an hour on AAA 850 mAh and about an hour with the lithium ion. It shouldn't take long to figure this out but I'm going to bed after I finish this post.

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/ericmiller123/detail?.dir=c909&.dnm=e8c6.jpg&.src=ph

I tried to get the photos to post with the [image]....[/image] format but it wouldn't work with this host.