Dragon optical illusion

PEU

Flashlight Enthusiast
I found this place on the web: Grand Illusions

I printed the dragon on heavy paper and followed instructions, here is the final result sitting on top of the monitor:

dragon.jpg

Here is a video of the illusion in action: WMV video

my kid loves it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

enjoy

Pablo

Lars

Newly Enlightened
My wife did this while I was watching the Badgers beat NC. The problem is the illusion works great for me but my wife (after all her work) can't see it ! Any suggestions?

Cornkid

Flashlight Enthusiast
YOU HAVE TO CLOSE ONE EYE! That may be a problem. Let him/her hold it and ujust the distance away from it... It took a while for my parents to see it.

-tom

PEU

Flashlight Enthusiast
if you look at it thru a camera screen its great, I find myself looking with one eye and it somewhat works. Also I tried using a glass bowl in front of it and the effect improves a little.

Pablo

jtice

Flashaholic
Its better with one eye at first. especially if you are close,,

getting far away and moving alot side to side alot will help also

14C

Enlightened
The lighting is going to have an effect. If the lighting makes it obvious to the eye through shadows that the head is concave then the illusion won't work.

My brother can't see the 3D stereograms and it frustrates him no end. These work on the computer screen or when printed....IF you have the ability to see them:

LINK

Joe Talmadge

Flashlight Enthusiast
Even closing one eye didn't help, I'd tried that. The comparison to the 3-D stereograms finally helped me see it. For some reason, even with one eye closed -- maybe because I could still see the folds -- I could tell the head was definitely concave. What I did was lower the lighting so the folds were harder to see, stand back far enough that I couldn't see the folds, and relax my eyes (ala the stereogram) until the dragon's head turned inside out (I concentrated on making the teeth seem to appear to be closer to me than the eyes). Once the head turned inside out, the illusion worked.

I note that once the illusion snaps in, I can walk right up close to the dragon. From just a couple of feet away, the illusion is awesome! Although I have to be careful, once I get a glimpse of the white paper on the back, the illusion falls apart.

Thanks guys!