Lionheart Becomes More Versatile

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
With the recent craze of R123 cells, I thought it be nice if someone were to make a simple 123-tube for the Lionhearts. Although I doubt that will happen anytime soon, if at all, I decided to investigate what it would take to power my LH with an R123 cell. Since the off-the-charger voltage of the 150a and R123 is pretty much the same, I'm figuring the only thing you loss if powered by an R123 is runtime. Not bad for someone who has a bunch of R123's and only one or two 150a's.

That being said, I've discovered that the battery spacer that comes with DSpeck's UBH is a compatable size to allow an R123 or standard 123 cell to work in the 150a LH tube. Ideally, it could be a few more MM longer and slightly rounder to elliminate some rattle, but bottom line it does work and works quite nicely.

I have not performed any runtime test at all. I'm not sure that I'll do so, but I'm tickled to know my LH now has another power source. This is great for me traveling, since I can now take my tiny Nano charger and a couple R123's and be covered.

For those of you how have purchased the complete UBH Kit or spacers package, give it a try. Use the smallest spacer that came with the package. I believe its original intent was to allow the useage of an Arc LS bezel on the UBH.

MY

Enlightened
The screw-in brass spacer for the Pila charger that makes the 150 size battery work fits in perfect as the spacer for the lionheart so that it can use R123. Just put it nipple down into the tube which will then fit nicely in the spring at the bottom of the tube. In addition, I have been using 14500 li-on with no spacer in the lionheart. Same capacity as the R123 but you don't have to use the spacer. You might have to stretch the spring just a little to make the 14500 work.

If someone is making a real R123 tube for the lionheart, I am second in line behind Nascar.

Regards.

DSpeck

Flashlight Enthusiast
The item you are referring to is called the "Arc button". It is indeed used to space the batteries in the UBH out so the Arc-LS heads can be used. I have some available for sale at $3.50 each plus $6.00US shipping for up to 5 buttons. Please contact me at [email protected] for more details.

cue003

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well guys, if you are in line for the Lioncub, I believe the LC battery tube ---which will use R123 will work on the LH. So therefore, noone needs to make a special battery tube for R123 since Charlies new light allows for the modularity with the Lionheart.

Thanks.

Curtis

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
cue003 said:
Well guys, if you are in line for the Lioncub, I believe the LC battery tube ---which will use R123 will work on the LH. So therefore, noone needs to make a special battery tube for R123 since Charlies new light allows for the modularity with the Lionheart.

Thanks.

Cutis

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks Cutis, however if one isn't getting a LC, your suggestion doesn't do them much good. I was recommending this as a low-cost way to run R123 cells in the LH without the need to have purchased another $200/$300 light.

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
Thanks MY. I'd expect that to be a bit heavier than these spaces, however it's certainly a nice find. I would think folks would have a better chance of having the Pila part on hand.

xpitxbullx

Flashlight Enthusiast
Step aside, Surefire 'E' series, there's a new lego flashlight in town. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Jeff

MY

Enlightened
Mr. Bulk, What about the ST tubes, will they also fit the lionheart? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Regards

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
I am tactfully ignoring any further posts by MY on the ST subject.../ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif

MY

Enlightened
Mr. Bulky, thanks for not using the "cut-off" word. As such I will continute to make your life miserable until you let the cat out of the den in respect to the ST. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/aaa.gif

Regards.