Yummy YUMMY M*gBP85!!!!

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
Oh man! Now I see what I was missing!

My group buy 1111, 1160 and 1185 bulbs came today!

I first tried a 6 Nimh 1111 in a 2D. Try as I might, I just can't see it being as good as a stock MC bulb on 6. It has a much bigger (oh fewey, what the heck is the part that lights up called?) Oh yeah! Filament. And therefor will not focus as tight as the much smaller filament of the MC bulb.

Those are eclipsed by the 7 Nimh driven 1174 that I already had experience with. Either light allows me to see all my property, and any treetop I care to!

Now, my starting voltage on the Eveready/Sanyo 2100mAH Nimh was 1.28-1.30 as they were a bit tired from the 1174. Still, WOW! Smoking! (Literally!) I was just out looking for Mr. Snake who lives in and around the pond. I had WAY more light than I needed, and could see VERY VERY well! And as I used the 85 (with a FM SMO reflector and no lense) I saw smoke or vapor coming out! I'm going to start my Sunday evening fire with this thing!

And since I have heard the hairy edge for an 1185 is 10, I'll use a pretty fresh 9 to do it!

My only problem now is I need yet MORE 2100 batteries! I got 12 at Sams maybe 2 months ago, so I guess I'll try there first.

Anyhow, what a Smoking YUMMY light a M*gBP85 is!!!

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast
PBJS,

Welcome aboard /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Wilkey

PS. It's ok to call 'em Mags.

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
The two culprits are here in one thread, so I shall start by blaming them both simultaneously... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rant.gif

Many More Months Ago, Ginseng comes up with this creation called the Mag85 and posts beamshots.

Not So Many Months Ago, PBJS says in an incan thread, something along the lines of "too expensive for me to play with" only to have the incan gods provide a breakdown of how affordable it actually is to build a Mag85. I recall the total was less than $60. That got my attention and led me down the slippery slope of hot wires and their ridiculous amounts of lumens from which there is no return...

Yes, I blame you both..... but I love you all too /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grouphug.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Welcome aboard, glad you got a chance to experience the AWESOME power of the Mag85 - there is no turning back!

I brought mine to the office one day, and pinged a coworker with the corona of the beam. Even with the flourescent lights and effectively daylight-adapted eyes he was jumping all over the place... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hahaha.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/huh.gif

Xenon

Enlightened
Hi Kevin

I really have to see your Mag85 one day compared to my MagBP85. As I'm using a Borofloat with LDF, the light cut off is quite substantial but at least I got a nice smooth flood.

Hope to do a side by side comparision to see the difference in lumen output.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
I have recharged all my batteries to 1.45-1.48 and am awaiting the dark!

I have noticed some discoloration on the reflector such as has been mentioned in another thread. I can see how it would be MUCH worse with a lense in place.

Anyhow, YEEHAW!

3rd_shift

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a bipin mag85 with 8 AA's doing surprisingly well too.
I often take that one to work.

With 9 batts fully charged, set your face on stunned. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

Snakes are sometimes attracted to heat during cold spells. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif
Good luck finding it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

bjn70

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've bought most of my parts here and I believe with shipping the cost will be closer to $80 including batteries.

UncleFester

Flashaholic*,
[ QUOTE ]
PlayboyJoeShmoe said:
I have recharged all my batteries to 1.45-1.48 and am awaiting the dark!

I have noticed some discoloration on the reflector such as has been mentioned in another thread. I can see how it would be MUCH worse with a lense in place.

Anyhow, YEEHAW!

[/ QUOTE ]

I had some "discoloration" show up as well. A little investigation showed the Magcharger bi-pin socket was smoking. The smoke was re-deposited on the UCL and reflector. I managed to get most of it off the reflector by soaking it in soapy water with some white vinegar.
I pulled the bulb away from the socket some. I hope it's going to be OK now. I want to make sure this doesn't happen with the FM3V head I got for it.

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
PlayboyJoeShmoe said:
I am SO disappointed...

I got smoke from the M*gBP85, but couldn't set paper on fire with it.

It's getting good and dark though. So more playing is in order!

[/ QUOTE ]

You need the mythical "Pest Elimination Lens" for the USL. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

This lens is rumored to exist as a 52mm focusing one that will fit inside a Mag..