JUST TWO MAIN FLASHOHOLIC TYPES?

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
Are there really two "main" types of Flashoholics? Let me explain -

When I first found this place it was a reawakening from years of flashlight fetish dormancy, when the last time I really felt like a "Flashoholic" (if there even was such a term 40+ years ago) was under the covers after Mom called lights out, finishing up the latest issue of Marvel with my trusty plastic Eveready 2D over my shoulder.

Then brief flickers of Light over the years - first as a rookie, when all they issued us was them "StarBrite"(?) plastic 2Ds. At least a Krypton bulb, though (whoa, dude!) but sickly dim nonetheless, so my folks "invested" in a then-unheard-of $30+ (!!!) for a brand new also just-then-heard-of brand Maglite 3D as an academy graduation present. Black, of course. And then in my airgun shootin' days, with tape switched ASPs mounted over scope centerbores and the all-new $17 Photons on keychains as "backup" lights.

Then I found CPF (Thanks to Craig's LED Museum website). A whole brave new world of lights, especially the alluring intoxication of LEDs that actually enabled you to look at stuff now instead of just Being looked at on calculator displays and the like.

But though some here had begun developing their own "modified" lights, with soldering and cutting and drilling and scratching and scraping and fitting of actual Metal and - omiGawd - even teeny lil' circuit boards to drive'em, I took one look inside a Lambda Illuminator and resigned myself to being, as I told Kevin then, a "Plug 'n Play" type Flasho...

Which leads me to my postulation - that although many here have become tinkerers as well, I am wondering if there really are mainly just two types of flashlight users - the potential Modder type, and then those whose time constraints and/or priorities will never allow the crossing of the threshold into the world of headbanded flip-down magnifying lenses and nostrils and fingernails respectively filled with solder fumes and metal filings...or the "Plug N' Play" type.

So - Plug 'n Play vs. Modder - what say ye all? True? False? None a my business?

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
I have XXL hands, with big fingers.

I'm a HACK at soldering and most fine detail work.

Therefore I have bought RTU lights mostly (and in fact have one of your SNII), and my modding is mostly bulb and battery stuff, or simple 5MM led into M*g clones.

I was overdriving bulbs LONG before finding CPF... now I just overdrive more costly and BRIGHTER bulbs. And of course have some REALLY AWESOME LED lights!

Ophiuchus

Newly Enlightened
Like Playboy, big hands, I am at 6'5"-palm measures 5-1/4" English inch. There is no finesse. This is not boast,old age has taken toll on near vision,despite optic aids.I realize and respect limitations. Also consider cost of quality turn-key light approach $200.00 USD, there should not be too much "tweak" required.

jeffb

Flashlight Enthusiast
Interesting!
25-30 years ago, worked with electronics "at the board level".

20 years ago, began working, selling equipment that contains electronics, I do minor progrmming and make sure all the "electronics" work together. My "motion" products, allow me to do some "mechanical" stuff, too. (Maybe I really don't want to "work" away from work??!)

I really like LED's and flashlights; think about perhaps, "building and modding"...............BUT realistically, don't want to take the time or again develop the necessary skills. (Know that building,soldering and designing take a lot of comittment and practice to become proficient) I have other interests (golf, running)and my two boys are ready to go off to college; enjoy being around them, when I can and also my nieces, who are younger.

For me it's more fun to study the circuitry, appreciate the art of the light itself and hang aroung this forum, when I get time (like to "use" and play with the lights, too!).

I do appreciate the guys that mod and create the lights we all so much enjoy. Have decided I really do prefer the "modders" lights vs "mass" produced!!

I'm looking forward to all of your comments on this topic!!!

jeffb

Beamhead

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mr Bulk...I agree whole "lightedly" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Mine started when we would go camping in the woods, near my house almost every summer's night. And even a few winters night.

Also going for Midnight flashlight hikes.

I think there is most definately a "nostalgic" pang when we, as full grown "boys" play with our lights. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Takifugu

Newly Enlightened
Hi Charlie,
One of my hobby used to be assembling PCs, since last year when I discovered the fun of collecting and modding flashlights. I think that there is a similarity between these two hobbies, I have fun in the process of assembling rather than when finished.
I also enjoy obtaining some very nice custom lights, which I would probably never be able to build myself.
Nice to get acquainted to many who share this same unique hobby too /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Many thanks to Charlie and others who make this possible for us *not so deeply addicted* flashaholics.
Regards

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
I plug and play at my best. I can whittle metal ok, solder ok, but am at the mercy of the doubleE's! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Larry

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator
Plug 'n Play here!

Mr.Bulk and I came to CPF about this time (if I remember correctlyh) in 2002. It didn't take him long before he started messing around hopping up comercially made flashlights. A bit later I started trying to answer the question.."How long does this light run for?".

Mr Bulk....we've come a long way since '02 and all of CPF has come way up on the learning curve since then!

Amazing!!!

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
I'm terrible at mechanical things so I'm not much of a modder when it comes to metals, but I can hold my own with electronics. I occasionally produce my own PC boards and I'm halfway decent with soldering surface mount components. I guess that puts me into the modder category. Just don't ask me to touch a lathe! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif

xpitxbullx

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm still trying to cross the threshold into 'modder' but for the moment, time doesn't permit. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif I did do a couple of easy mods...does that count?

Jeff

vontech

Newly Enlightened
"Plug and Play" is too hard for me . . .

I just <font color="red">PLAY and PLAY</font> . . ! ! ! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I just love shiny things, and I have enough money to afford a few of them. I also really appreciate fine craftsmanship!

vontech

jtice

Flashaholic
Well, I didnt stay a player long,,, I cant leave anything well enough alone ! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

Ever sence I was alittle kid I was ripping apart things to see what was in side, and how they worked.

Nothing like the feeling of holding a finished mod or creation in your hand.

Lack of time/money keeps me from doing ALOT of the ideas I come up with /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif but its still great fun. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Niteowl

Enlightened
I tend to agree, put me in the P&P column...

As with all hobbies/obsessions, there's a gray area people will hover in, I'll try some minor nut and bolt mods but the electronics end makes my head spin. The machining end of things is another story, but I no longer have the means at my disposal. I was holding an Infinity today wishing I had access to a lathe, but was at a loss as what I would do with the head.

30 years ago, I was into the finer points of electronics, but my teen years found me wandering from constructive pastimes and I suspect the results have left my comprehensive abilities somewhat lacking. Three small children limit my time to really dive in also. I've had a couple two stage switches and resistors for my Q-III's for a month now, it'll be a least another before I get around to it.

I agree with Beamhead's "nostalic pang" angle. I can see my enthusiasim for lights in my sons eyes when he plays with his lights.

Takifugu summed up the CPF experience nicely saying "Nice to get acquainted to many who share this same unique hobby too. Many thanks to Charlie and others who make this possible for us *not so deeply addicted* flashaholics."

Mark

MaxaBaker

Flashlight Enthusiast
Plug n' Play for me as well. I've done a few simple mods but nothing elaborate /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

As for collecting, I do *collect* them, but I don't have a single light that I don't use. In my position, If I'm going to buy them or mod them, I'm not just going to put them onto a shelf never to be used. I don't like the idea of having hundreds of dollars worth of flashlights just sitting around. I purposfully only buy what I think I'm going to use a lot (Otherwise, I'd probably have a ton of SureFires, Inovas, and Stream-Lights around just being paper weights /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif).

akula88

Enlightened
I'm another Plug-n-Play flashaholic.

My lights are, however, divided into 'three' distinct categories.
Category 1 : My Collection -- I retain their almost stock appearance.
Category 2 : My Usables -- These units are hybrid, modded and '*******ized' configuration to my liking /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Category 3 : Other Lights? -- Mostly incans, which were modded to allow 'high power' incan lamps (as in KPR117 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif for ex-2Ds )

Another thing -- How do you consider those wannabe flasholic, who buys them as investments or buying them for trade without regard to the feelings and emotions of flashlights. I mean you do have to cuddle and baby them sometime :silly mode off: /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

dougmccoy

Enlightened
Hey, Mr Bulk,

The trouble with postulating is that it suggests you've got too much time on your hands? You should get back to making some more of those wonderful creations of yours so that the rest of us can enjoy them and postulate which of the two categories we fit into!

All the best

Doug /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

diggdug13

Flashlight Enthusiast
right now I don't have the equipment, knowledge or time to learn how to mod, although I would LOVE to learn and I am determined to learn how to mod a light even if it is a simple mod. I believve the satisfaction of doing something yourself no matter how small or insignificant is a strong motivator and a powerful drug to keep learning.

Doug

Latest posts