Maglite - LED Replacements - EverLED vs. Diamond

frozenrubber

Newly Enlightened
Let me first preface, I'm a first time poster but have spent hours reading over the forum. I appreciate all the work many of you contribute to help one another.

I currently am looking for "THE" drop-in LED replacement for my 2-D Maglite. I've been pulling my hair out for the last few hours trying to find definitive comparison of the Regulated Diamond Luxeon I Side Emitter and the EverLED.

EverLED reviews are plentiful on this site, but in raw comparison at flashlight reviews, it appears that the Diamond Luxeon I Side Emitter - Regulated is a better performer. However, I can't find ONE user who has anything to say about the diamond regulated item.

Flashlight review's arbitrary rating scale puts the following specs for each bulb:

Diamond Luxeon I Side Emitter - Regulated: Throw: 62.05, Overall Output: 43.00

EverLED: Throw: 40.37, Overall Output: 17.40

Diamond Review:
http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/diamond_magbulbs.htm

EverLED Review:
http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/everled.htm

Any insight anyone is willing to input would be GREATLY APPRECIATED, as I have a 2-D and possibly my 3-D Maglites itching for a change and I just need some help. Thanks again and I hope to hear from someone soon.

L

led_replacement

Re: Maglite - LED Replacements - EverLED vs. Diamo

Have you ever considered the LPR-2 from Tektite? It has a step-up voltage circuit and is a LED Replacement bulb for 2 cell Mag-lites. You can buy one at: http://www.led-replacement.com/LPR-2.html for $22.95 including free shipping in the USA! I have compared the EverLED to the Tektite LPR-2. Both have a very white beam. Both are Luxeon I Side Emitters. Both are focusable in Mag-lights. The EverLED can be used in 1 to 6 cell Mag-lites. The LPR-2 is made just to work in a 2 cell Mag-lite. The specs on the LPR-2 are at:
http://www.led-replacement.com/datasheet.html
Thank you,
led_replacement

ACMarina

Flashlight Enthusiast

What are you looking for - throw or flood? I was thinking that the Diamond isn't focusable, so if you went that way and wanted to change you'd be out of luck. I've got the Everled and the Tektite on a few of my Mags, and to me the EL wins in brightness while the Tektite wins the runtime contest.

Maybe a modified light would do you a better job, too..

VidPro

Flashlight Enthusiast

just to screw you up and show you more choices you might not have seen, there is this Duel one too.
http://www.ledsupply.com/maxstar2.html

i was waiting for a 3 or 5 myself, as there is enough battery in a 2D to do that.
I should mod them myself, but nowdays the "MAG" is just a defence weapon, the little mods i have will outdo it, at 1/3rd the size and weight.

frozenrubber

Newly Enlightened

I had considered the MaxStar2 and the Tektite bulb but had narrowed it down to what seemed like the brightest two bulbs available.

Both the EverLED and the regulated Diamond LED bulb are both still focusable, and while flashlight reviews gives the Diamond the nods in both throw and overall output (even after an error of margin of 10%+ I give to unofficial tests), but I can't seem to find a single owner of the unit. And mysteriously, they are both shipped in a very similar jewel case. I was hoping to hear any testimonial of an owner of the diamond bulb.

It's just really odd, the product exists, but I can't find a single owner on the entire internet.

NetMage

Enlightened

I got the Diamond regulated unit for my 2D. I eventually put it in a 2D I modded for 3C.

Unfortunately, I got the Lambertian and have the Side Emitter on order, but it takes a long time to get one. Don't believe what they tell you about delivery.

It is a very nice unit, but not as bright as I hoped. Of course, I am running it with a UCL-LDF so I am spreading/dimming the light - that's why I want the Side Emitter.

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast

I wrote to ask qualityitemsonline.com (aka Flash-Lights.com) about the side-emitter version of the 1watt regulated Diamond - as I was also interested due to the favorable take at FlashlightReviews.com.

The reply I got said they were no longer supplying the SE version in favor of the Lambertian version - because the beam quality was not as good/even.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic

I have two Everleds. One older Teal and one newer White Lambertian.

The older Teal Eled only works good in certain lights. It hoovered in the M*gs I tried it in.

The Lambertian White is running on 3C in a 2D M*g and it beats the Teal handily!

But you ought to get someone to make you a LUX3 mod. Tint superiority is one great reason to do so. For my White Everled is actually rather blue of tint. And Writeright is required to get the beam I like.

My several 3W LED lights are WAY WAY nicer than the 1W stuff.

Amonra

Enlightened
I have an everled SE and 1W regulated & 3W non regulated Diamonds. However the diamonds are both lambertian so i cannot say anything about the SE diamonds. All i can say is that both diamonds beat the everled in both throw and output, plus the beam pattern of the diamonds is much smoother, on tightest focus the diamonds give a tight spot with a very smooth wide sidespill, while the everled spot is not as tight and sidespill is a bit ringy. The 3W is not much brighter than the 1W but it throws much farther. regarding runtime i cannot really tell on any of them since i have never needed to change a set of batteries yet and have not noticed any reduction in output so far. As it has been discussed in other threads the 3W diamond gets quite hot, but i have used it for extended periods of time and it still runs nicely with no signs of damage to the emitter. As for colour, my Everled is a nice white but when compared to the Diamonds which are very slightly bluish/pinkish the everled seems slightly yellowish. I am using all of them in 3D/C mags so i dont know what they would do on 2D mags but as you may have gathered the diamonds are my favourite.

Here are some comparison shots
[image][/image]

Pardon my crappy photography.
Camera was set to auto without flash.
The host is a 3D mag with stock reflector and lens, and used batteries, from approx 1 meter from ceiling.
there is more sidespill in reality than is visible in the photos. there are many rings in Everled tight focus both within the hotspot and the sidespill which are not visible in the picture.

Hope this helps

lamperich

Enlightened
I also have a question.

Which LED beam is more like the original Krypton (Stock) Maglite bulb?
near 0,3m-2meter
middel 2-5m
middel far distance 5-10m
far 10-20m
Side emitter or lambertain?

I like the beam of my Maglite at near distance 0,3 - 2Meter(reading Maps and waking around in the House)
AND 10-20meter when it is focus in tightest position.

I think the hotwire mag bulbs + original Reflector are a good compromise between spot and flood in one torch.

VidPro

Flashlight Enthusiast
AMONRA

are you getting DOUGHNUT rings on wide with a lambertarian ?

Anything is better than a incadescent in them reflectors, but i have a side shooter in my minimag and the focus still sux. i was thinking that a lambertarian would forward shoot enough to work better in the reflectors.

i dont really NEED massive throw myself, and i love the smooth blend from the OPTICS instead, its just that i thought that the lambertarian would do its own fill in the doughnut hole :-(

mykall

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
Amonra said:
I All i can say is that both diamonds beat the everled in both throw and output, plus the beam pattern of the diamonds is much smoother, on tightest focus the diamonds give a tight spot with a very smooth wide sidespill, while the everled spot is not as tight and sidespill is a bit ringy.

[/ QUOTE ]

Can you tell us how the Lamb Diamond(1W & 3W) would compare to the Magnum Star (Xenon) standard Mag Bulb both tint
wise and throw wise?

Thanks

MB

Amonra

Enlightened
Lamperich: The diamond's beam pattern is almost identical to the stock bulb only brighter and less ringy.

VidPro: Actually i never use the flood beam since there is alot of side spill even in tightest focus, thus there is no donut hole problem, quite the opposite.
In fact i could not capture the entire sidespill with the camera at 2m distance and the flashlight was at 1m distance. most of the sidespill is not visible due to the crappy photo anyway, ill try again.
[image][img=http://i136.exs.cx/img136/3551/23737162xr.th.jpg][/image]
Here you go , this is exactly what it looks like at about 75cm away from ceiling. the diameter of the sidespill is about 1.25meters, camera is about 2 meters away from ceiling.

Edit: That's the 3W Diamond high-dome.

Amonra

Enlightened

i tought the stock mag bulb was krypton, i think mine is anyway. i dont know about the xenon.
anyway here is a beam shot with the stock mag bulb i had, it looks exactly as in the photo.
so now you can compare with the diamond and everled.
[image][/image]

greenLED

Flashaholic

I'm sold on the EverLED's because you can use them with 1-6 cells.

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
Amonra said:
anyway here is a beam shot with the stock mag bulb i had, it looks exactly as in the photo.
so now you can compare with the diamond and everled.
[image][/image]

[/ QUOTE ]

Amonra,

None of your photos are displayed in your posts -
and only show up as messed up urls like in the quote above.
I used the (cleaned up/edited) url to view them.

this is the krypton beamshot:
http://img198.exs.cx/img198/2946/23737203ea.jpg

Also your 2 earlier beamshots referenced only the Thumbnails, so they are tiny.

If one removes the ".th" in the beamshot's url - then the full sized images are displayed as in:

http://img218.exs.cx/img218/2677/comparison5ox.jpg

http://i136.exs.cx/img136/3551/23737162xr.jpg

I can't seem to get these to display in the post either -
perhaps your photo host will not allow hotlinking?

mykall

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
Amonra said:
i tought the stock mag bulb was krypton, i think mine is anyway. i dont know about the xenon.

[/ QUOTE ]

The old KPR- bulb that has the pointed dome is the Krypton
and the bulb model number LMSA-whatever(mine is 301)...is
the new Xenon. They also have a rounder shape that improves
the beam quality. The old Krypton looks yeller' compared
to the xenon, although my Xenon looks yellow compared to
the terralux TLE5 in my MM.

Interesting how the MM's are always behind the big M_gs.
Until about a year ago the most advanced bulb for the C-D
M_gs was the Krypton. At that time the MM bulb was only
a halogen. Now the C-D M_gs have moved on to the Xenon
and the MM's bulb now says that it's krypton.

I really think Maglica and Co. desperately
need to make a technology leap to avoid being
a modern marvel of obsolescence.

MB

cy

Flashaholic

I've got both. neither one is too bright. the diamond is slightly better performer.

both have nice colors, but just not much output. If you compare to original mag output. you may be pleased, but if you compare to other LED mod's. output is downright pitiful.

I've got my diamond mounted in an old antique 2D light. it's right at home there.

2d.JPG

bjn70

Flashlight Enthusiast

I have a 3W side-emitter in a Mag. (It's one of those monted direct, direct dirve, etc.) It gets a few light rings in the beam but not too bad. It doesn't focus to a tight spot like the Lambertian probably will. I checked it out before I bought it and bought it to use around the house where more of a flood-beam is better. Based on my experience with this one I wouldn't recommend getting a side-emitter if you wanted a tight beam.