Just joined; I like 1AA keyring lights

Paul_in_Maryland

Flashlight Enthusiast
Greetings. As a kid, I used to stuff D cells into a paper towel cardboard tube and burn out PR13 bulbs after 30 seconds of glory. In my 40s, I got into Pelican lights for my belt pouch (4AA Stealth, Stealth Rechargeable, Black Max) and my car (5D with a wide bumpy reflector).

Well, last week, at a hardware store, I stumbled across a couple 1AAA and 1AA LED flashlights at the checkout counter. I knew I HAD TO HAVE something like that for my keyring. But I also knew that the best offerings would not be found at the checkout counter, but on the Web. That's how I found the candlepower forums.

After studying these forums, this week I ordered a 12-LED single AA ($9 shipped, eBay) and a UK 2AA (xenon bulb, $18.50 shipped, plus $3 orange wand to keep in the car).

We'd all want something like an HDS Systems EDC, but this family guy can't justify that. Besides, I love to evangelize for flashlights, and so I've tried to limit my options to 1AA or side-by-side 2AA models (any beside the Underwater Kinetics?) for under $20. That way, I can keep extras handy to sell at cost or give away, with L91 lithium cells and quick-release keyrings.

But the Peak Kilimanjaro 5 LED High Output, with its beautiful craftsmanship and regulated power, kept calling me. And because it's been discontinued, I figured it's now or never: I just ordered one in black from pocketlights.com. Just $45 plus $3.80 shipping! (And: I was able to have it shipped to me at work so the wife won't know!) While the site doesn't make it clear, Pocketlights' David Kochan confirmed by email that "All of the Peak lights that I sell have high output LEDs."

The only CR123A model I may yet buy is the Nuwai QIII. But I strongly prefer AAs; if you run out, you can always plunder a cell or two from another portable appliance.

The_virus

Enlightened
You sound like someone who would be interested in a Gerber Infinity Ultra. I'm having a slight problem with mine, but I really like this light, runs for 25 hours on one AA battery, due to regulation.

Dorcy's LED lights are also cheap and have great performance considering how cheap they are. I just bought a 1AAA LED and I love it. I plan to get the 3-LED 1AA model one way or another soon.

The Inova X1 is fantastic, I love the Infinity Ultra, but performance wise the X1 litterally outshines it. Runs for 10 hours if I recall correctly, on a single AA.

I'm also looking into getting a Premierlight PL-1 and eventually a Peak Killmanjaro and Matterhorn...probably by the time I get them...I'll be forced to get a 1LED model since the 3LED models will have dried up in the online stores due to increased uh...enthusiasm for buying discontinued soon-to-be-collector's-items. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif Plus I like the black finish best.

Anyways, the PL-1 sounds great, but I'm waiting for JSBurly's to receive their shipment. The PL-1 runs off a single AA as well. I'm still avoiding 123 cells, but it's inevitable that I quit that. The Nuwai Q3 is too tempting, have you seen their .5W 1AAA model? It looks really nice too!

There's lots out there that'll fit your budget and preference for single cells, enjoy the search! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Paul_in_Maryland

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the suggestions. I've looked hard at the X1, the Infinity Ultra, and the Dorcy AA. The X1's spot is too tight for me (no overspill); the Infinity and Dorcy's beams, too weak. I lean toward models that give you 2 to 5 hours of brightness, not 20 to 30. However, all three are ridiculously affordable, so there may yet be one of each in my "test kit."

I've ordered 20 Lithium AAs from batterystation; I see lithium AA cells as a match made in heaven for unregulated AA lights.

I was unfamiliar with the Premierlight PL-1 and Nuwai 0.5W 1AAA. I'll check them out now.

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
There's always something just outside your envelope which someone suggests, so... I reallly like the Nuwai 2xAAA .5 light. A little big for a keychain, but a nice pocket light (I reverse the clip) and much brighter than any of the others mentioned. 5+ hours to half power, runs hours past that, and less than $20 at Amondotech and Advancedmart (plus inevitable shipping).

Paul_in_Maryland

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just checked out the Premierelight PL-1. Yep, that's my kind of light; don't know how I overlooked it. $33 Stateside in-stock, or $20 out of stock....

2dim

Enlightened
Might want to check out andrewwynn's radically new lithium AAA rechargeable in a brass Peak body. Officially named the Nano, some call it the 'Li'l Scorcher'...

Paul_in_Maryland

Flashlight Enthusiast
One reason I prefer to stick to AA is that you can find one anywhere in a pinch. For example, if there's a blackout, I can empty our three computer mice of their two AAs...not to mention the AA spares. Or if I find that I left the flashlight on, I can steal a AA from a nearby appliance, whether at home or work.

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
BTW, welcome to here, Paul. Finding the CPF, shortly getting laid off a couple years ago, was a mixed blessing, of sorts. I was suddenly exposed to all these exciting new lights, beyond my Pelicans and Streamlights, even my mother had an LED keychain light, and me with no job and no LEDs. Luckily, my family made up for what I couldn't purchase and I was still pulling in enough cash that I could make the $$ stretch with the occasional sale item. Hopefully your family is as nice as mine and will take note of your hints and surprise you for birthdays, Father's Day, Independence Day, Memorial Day, Mother's Day, Tuesdays and Saturdays...

nerds mention of the Nuwai 3AAA .5 is worth looking into. That light is one of my most used lights, replacing the old 2AAA/222 penlights I used to have in my pocket. Just reverse the long clip like nerd said and it fits well and is very functional and usefully bright.

A

Advancedmart

I also have a 1 x AA Keychain .5W coming in a liitle over a week if all goes well. Check out this thread for info on that
web page

CroMAGnet

Flashlight Enthusiast
jtice posted the brightess AA in a recent thread. Do a search with his name. The lights a cheap and on ebay. I ordered two.

wmirag

Enlightened
If you like keyring lights, you MUST check out the Jil Rev which is a tiny CR2 cell wonder. There is a thread on it in B/S/T. It is amazingly bright, has a large white hotspot and plenty of bright spill, and runs for a really long time. It's about twice the price of a CMG and half the size but it's a much better light.

sithjedi333

Enlightened
If you're looking for a keyring light in an AA size, I suggest moving up to a CR123 light. Check out the Fire~Fly II. It has a 2 stage switch, can do the tailstand, and is a bit smaller than an AA light and a hell of a lot brighter.

Paul_in_Maryland

Flashlight Enthusiast
Guys,
It's a given that the best brightness-to-size ratios can be found in the "serious" CR123A lights, CR2 wonders, and perhaps some 3AAA models. So namimg "better" models that use non-AA cells provides me with no new information. As I've stated, I am specifically confining my search to AA models for several reasons, among them:

1. I want to be able to give these out as gifts, or sell them at cost to acquaintences and friends, while assuring them that they can find a replacement cell anywhere, or even plunder one readily from another appliance. This is no small matter if someone has left their flashlight running and find your battery depleted when you desperately need light.

2. In the event of a prolonged blackout, I want to take advantage of the large cache of AA NiMH cells my family keeps charged for our 3 wireless mice.

3. Lithium AAs from batterystation.com are incredibly cheap; I just bought 20 for $20 (plus $7 shipping) from batterystaton on eBay. These cells make regulation largely unnecessary while offering me the option of using "mere" alkaline AAs in a pinch.

3. AAA cells aren't up to fast discharge rates. I prefer 2 to 3 hours of strong light to 10 or 20 hours of dimmer light. So will most people to whom I plan to give these lights.

Unfortunately, my AA "requirement" keeps me from getting my favorite lights and (so far) any multi-brightness-level models, including the incredible HDS EDC 60. But looked at another way, it keeps me from spending more of my family's money than I have a right to.

So: On order are a 12-LED 1AA, a UK 2AA (side-by-side cells, Xenon), and a Peak Technologies Kilimanjaro 5-LED High Output in black HA III. Two cheapies and a keeper. I know all about the Inova X0, the Gerber Ultra, and similar models. Other than the Dorcy 1AA and the forthcoming 0.5W model from Advancedmart, none appears to offer me a beam that's sufficiently wide, bright, or both to get me to part with my money. The $15, 2-watt Princeton Tec "Tec 20" (a 2AA Xenon side by side) with keyring hole looks as though it could be a winner when fitted with lithium AAs. But I'm not sure the head is small enough to live on a keyring. The UK 2AA probably defines the keyring 2AA for me.

I'm almost afraid to visit the Mod discussion list, where I'm sure to find a Dorcy 1AA with a Luxeon 1W or a truncated Mag Mini with all sorts of custom heads...

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
4m+3.jpg

So I will bring one to you /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif

Nope, that's not a visual illusion or Photoshop job, that's Haveblue's (now TrueBlue) machine job on the lights to cut them down. All have MadMax+ boost converters and TY0L Luxeon 3s and the blue one is mine, AHAHHAHA MINE /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

But I understand the purpose of your thread - I too am looking for a nice bright 1AA to give away. The CMG Inf Ultra is nice, but they've discontinued the older models and to be honest, the new finishing really doesn't cut it with me. I tore up one of them last night, guess how? Removing the pocket clip. It left marks all over the place /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mecry.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsdown.gif and it gets one mark (grade) from me : FAIL!

I am looking for a 1AA that does not feel cheap and cheesy (because I will get /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twakfl.gif by my recipient) but costs less than $15. The Inf Ultra used to do the job, until.. oh well. Usually, non-flashaholics are quite adverse to stocking hoards of CR123s and resupplying them. If I wanted really cheap I have other solutions in the $1.25 price bracket.

mateen

Enlightened
I also have some of the TrueBlue cutdown Minimags. Love the form factor and modular nature of these lights. If you like single-AA lights you owe it to yourself to check these out. Also, you can get pretty much exactly what you want in regards to switches, lenses, reflectors/optics, brightness or runtime. Nice lights!

TrueBlue

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmmm? Did I sense the word Mag somewhere near? Chopped Mags? I like chopping Mags. It makes my day!

micromag_bunch.jpg