OH MY GOSH!! (Lionheart!)

Cornkid

Flashlight Enthusiast
I went to LED Museum and looked at some screenshots of the Lionheart. OH MY GOSH!! It looks like a laser of beautiful white light! THAT IS WHAT I CALL THROW!!

Just a question, does anyone know of an LED light that throws like that in a small package, cheaper?

-tom

Kiessling

Flashaholic
Any light with a 27mm reflector of this shape will do the trick if driven hard enough, meaning at 1.2A like the LH.

Even bigger reflectors (think Maglight) will throw even further.

It all comes down to a compromise between size, throw and invested energy.

To copy the beam of the LH you need a light that can be retrofitted with the IMS27 reflector or can accept a PR or McR-27 reflector.

In the custom sector that would be the Aleph Series (and the older McLux Series) of McGizmo, but if you want it cheaper, you can buy a Pelican M6 LED and have someone install a driver if you are so inclined.

bernhard

cy

Flashaholic
don't know if you consider a 2C m*g small, but you can put together a Mr. Bulk SNII for pretty reasonable $$$ for a real throw monster.

m*g $18
hotlips $11
5watt luxeon $35
5/8 hose scrap

*Retired*
Adding to what Bernhard said, you take the Luxeon, reflector, and direct drive it off a Li-Ion rechargeable, and you have the LH guts without dimming abilities.

Pick a suitable host and you have it.

No converter is needed in this case, as long as you don't mind putting 1.2A into your Luxeon.

If you are going to do this, make sure your host has great heatsinking abilities.

If you want to have a regulated light, then add a converter.

The reflector can be had for cheap, if you find someone that has bought them in 100 quantities. Otherwise you will have to cough up a whopping 2.94. They are showing stock. These folks also carry the Luxeons, if you wanna get some of those.

This is the website, http://www.future.ca or http://www.future-active.com
Enter part number SO27XA

Pi_is_blue

Flashlight Enthusiast
The new Streamlight 4AA Luxeon light is almost as bright as the Lionheart (brighter than the second brightest level, but slightly dimmer than the maximum). It can be had for just over $30 at brightguy.com. The hotspot is tighter than on my Lionheart, and the spill is also slightly tighter. It seems to throw just as far as my Lionheart, and the beam color is better (Lionheart's is too blue).
Of course it is not as versatile as my Lionheart, but for an inexpensive beater light the Streamlight can't be beat!

*Retired*
[ QUOTE ]
Pi_is_blue said:
The new Streamlight 4AA Luxeon light is almost as bright as the Lionheart (brighter than the second brightest level, but slightly dimmer than the maximum). It can be had for just over $30 at brightguy.com. The hotspot is tighter than on my Lionheart, and the spill is also slightly tighter. It seems to throw just as far as my Lionheart, and the beam color is better (Lionheart's is too blue).
Of course it is not as versatile as my Lionheart, but for an inexpensive beater light the Streamlight can't be beat!

[/ QUOTE ]

Any chance you could give us some side by side shots of the two in the same photograph?

MY

Enlightened
I would also like to see the comparison. Price aside, it is hard for me to see a low bin Lux I outthrow a high bin Lux III both with the same type of reflector. Even if the Streamlight is puting out 6+ volts direct drive to the emitter, and the lionheart is puting out 4.2 volts, I would need to see to believe it. Not saying that it is not so, just that the Lionheart is designed for throw.

Regards.

voodoogreg

Flashlight Enthusiast
May want to look at craig's comment's on the HDS ultimate 60. nearly as bright as the LC, smaller and available. I don't regret getting one. But i would love to have a LC and LH, just WAY more then a nearly as bright and throwing as the LC. not a bash, as i said, I want a bulk light BAD! VDG

gorlank

Enlightened
For $300 bucks it better be darned special. I would like to have one but it's out of my price range. I don't think I could justify spending more than $150 for a flashlight.

Pi_is_blue

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
NewBie said:
[ QUOTE ]
Pi_is_blue said:

[/ QUOTE ]

Any chance you could give us some side by side shots of the two in the same photograph?

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry, but I don't have a camera. I spent all my money on flashlights. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif
Hopefully someone else will be able to provide beamshots.

kongfuchicken

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
gorlank said:
I don't think I could justify spending more than $150 for a flashlight.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's what they all say... at first.

Luna

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Cornkid said:
Now I am looking into a L4..

-tom

[/ QUOTE ]

Doesn't your brother have an L4?

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cornkid, look into an L4 - as a great starting point. From there, if you need throw, add the McLux PR-T head. The PR-T's reflector is very similar to the Lionheart. I took my PR-T to a meeting with another flashaholic one evening, and he also brought his own L1-PRT and Lionheart so we got a pretty good idea of where they all stand (close enough!)

I'm aware of what it takes to do things on a budget, sometimes the initial investment hurts but it will save you money further down the road. The PR-T will screw directly onto the L4 body, thus saving you the $$ of the switch and the power pack and the $270 Lionheart. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I have a DB917 TW0L Lux3 in a PR-T and it is good out to 330 yards. It's on par with the much larger OA4D Cookbook Mag (resistored-drive TW0L at 1.2+ amps). To put things into perspective, mine is a well-owned, well-traveled PR-T that cost $65. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/huh.gif