Flashlights and Christianity...

Mags

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have noticed that many CPFers have verses from the bible. Do your relatives and friends say that you should be an evangelizer or something? My parents (my mother at least) told me that my hobby was a sign that I should be an evangelizer. That I should "light" the way for others... I dont think I am even religious enough to live that kind of life. Is anyone else told something like this?
Are threads like this allowed? If they arent, Moderators and Admins, feel free to lock this one.

greenLED

Flashaholic
Mags, what does liking flashlights have to do with *any* religion? I am a flashaholic, I don't see how that's a sign that I (or anyone else) should be "an evangelizer", neither does it make me feel any closer to God than I felt before starting this hobby.

bobisculous

Flashlight Enthusiast
Some people just prefer a sig line with something that relates their hobby and their faith.

I expect thats simply it, no one is trying to evangelize here. Just showing what they believe.

Cameron

StuU

Enlightened
We have recently had a major traumatic debate on religion on this forum. All this does is cause bad feelings and, frankly, it has nothing to do with flashlights.

As a freethinker and strong supporter of evidence based scientific inquiry, I personally do not want to be "evangelized" or have someone lead me to Jesus or to any of the other numerous and varied versions of so-called religious truth.

This subject is just best avoided here and there are better forums than CPF to discuss religious subjects.
Stu

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
there are numerous references in the bible to light, and i've even seen references to light from other books.

my sig is a modified quote from a very important book as well /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

greenLED

Flashaholic
I've seen some references to light, but relating them to flashaholism and evangelization... that's a bit of a stretch.

code09

Enlightened
Im a christian, and i love flashlights as well. Whether or not this is related? i dont think so /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I think its great to have a religion! Learn more about morals, the world, life after death, etc etc. Sometimes i just feel sorry for those people who have not been "exposed" if you would, to the world of religion. But then again, what do i know, i was brought up in a christian family! Hence the name Moses /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Thats just my 7 cents worth
Moses

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
StuU said:
We have recently had a major traumatic debate on religion on this forum. All this does is cause bad feelings and, frankly, it has nothing to do with flashlights.

As a freethinker and strong supporter of evidence based scientific inquiry, I personally do not want to be "evangelized" or have someone lead me to Jesus or to any of the other numerous and varied versions of so-called religious truth.

This subject is just best avoided here and there are better forums than CPF to discuss religious subjects.
Stu

--------------------
"Skepticism is the highest duty and blind faith the one unpardonable sin."
-- Thomas Huxley,

[/ QUOTE ]

Goodness, StuU. We've certainly had some exhuberant and engaging exchanges in R/S threads. You do remember my suggesting to J.M. that saving souls by pounding them with scriptures on the internet might not be the best approach?

I had hoped that you had read my recent post in the "Desert, Big Bang" thread. I return posted in a scientific manner and did my best to steer that thread, like a Mississippi River pilot, to enjoy a course into the science of light. I thought the thread was interesting.

Yes, I would agree that avoiding R/S threads is probably best. I did, however, want to make sure that you knew that your recent signature refresh did not escape me. Really, if you don't want to engage people like me then don't...even with an updated signature line. If you continue to choose to do so then I'll tell you what I told the board last year.

Live your lives sweetly.

- Jeff

kitelights

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, I thought that was rather hypocritical, too.

He says that the subject is best avoided here on CPF, but the signature takes a pretty harsh jab at those of faith (or is that just plain baiting).

VidPro

Flashlight Enthusiast
A cool story:

This old lady living in a home , she had cancer, and had lived a long happy life, she knew she was not long for this world.
One night she felt herself in her dreams slipping to a bright Blue light , and she heard a small voice say "Don't Go Into The Light" , it startled her and she woke up.

The next day, she got her affairs in order and talked to her friends about how she felt that she was going to die quickly now.
she told them that she had lived a very happy life , and was totally willing to let herself go, and the pain of the cancer was just making her suffer.
Her friends explained that "The Light" probably did mean that she was going to die, and wished her well in her journey, because they had known of her pain.
" But what about the voice" she said, why was it telling me NOT to go into the light?
Her friends did not know what to tell her, except that now she had made things right with everyone, and said her goodbys to everyone, most people in the home never got that opertunity.

that night she falls to sleep, and again sees the blue light, she could feel wings forming out her back, and she felt like she was flying. She was sure that she was becomming a flying angel. a bright blue light beconed to her inner sences, she no longer was in fear.
then she hears the small voice again "Don't go into the light" , she is now flying pretty good, and looked at her hands to see that they had become a soft white and feathery.
SHE WAS an angel, surely she was going to be with god.
like a fledgling testing her wings , she finally gets up the speed, and flies towards the blue light, that beconed to her.
**POW** she feels a massive jolt pass through her body, as she is fluttering down towards the ground, she looks up to see 2 moths perched on a bug zapper. the one says to the other "newbies you try to tell them", and the other says "dont go into the light, how many times we gotta tell ya"

StuU

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
kitelights said:
Yeah, I thought that was rather hypocritical, too.
He says that the subject is best avoided here on CPF, but the signature takes a pretty harsh jab at those of faith (or is that just plain baiting).

[/ QUOTE ]

Lots of people here have sig lines. Many with religious connotations. There is nothing wrong with that. It's another thing to get into a bruising argument on religion. I think that some CPFers left the forum after the last round and that's not a great outcome.

However, if the forum wants to start another religious thread so be it. Religion in the US has become highly politicized and is no longer just in the realm of personal beliefs. Religious and supernatural claims are going to be challenged- so bring evidence.

Why isn't it baiting when the religious CPFers have a religious sig line?
Stu

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
StuU said:

Stu

[/ QUOTE ]

&

[ QUOTE ]
Why isn't it baiting when the religious CPFers have a religious sig line?
Stu

[/ QUOTE ]

Stu, if the subject is best avoided, then please take your own advice and avoid it.

woolfam

Newly Enlightened
To answer your questions, Mags, you'll notice I have a verse in my signature line. It is there for several reasons, one of which is to provide a passage of Scripture that shows a link between our flashlight interests and God. I believe God created everything, and that everything, in some way, leads back to Him. Scripture teaches that the world around us, and the skies above us demonstrate His glory. The scientific properties of light, and man's fascination with it and need for it, provide a rich insight into the nature of God. I include a light-related passage of Scripture in my posts to encourage those who believe as I do, and to provoke interest in spiritual things in those who do not believe as I do. My interest in flashlights does, I hope, provide me with a means and opportunity to share what I believe, or in other words, to be an "evangelizer".

Many people on this forum are "evangelizers". They tell others what they believe about the merits of one flashlight over another, one type of battery over another, one manufacturer over another, etc. Some preach throw, some preach flood. Some preach incandescent, some preach LED. Some preach brightness, some preach run-time. However, when you begin to preach spiritual matters, from whatever perspective, it touches peoples' consciences and that is why things can get heated. That is why you have had some of these responses to your post.

Another reason I have that verse in my sig line is to remind me that there is something much more important than my flashlights (it used to be flashlight – singular – until I began reading this forum, and now it is flashlights – plural /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif). My relationship with and responsibility to Jesus far outweighs any hobby or other interest I might have. The verse is there to remind me to keep my focus on what is most important. I often fail and find myself loving "things" more than I love Him. That leads me to your next concern, should you be an evangelizer? Your mother has expressed that might be your "calling". I would suggest you talk with her more about it. She may be attempting to help you the way the verse in my posts helps me. She may be trying to keep you focused on eternal things (people's souls) rather than on temporary things (people's flashlights). Two hundred years from now, you will not care what kind of flashlight you had. You will care about the opportunities you had to know God and tell others about His love.

You expressed concern that you could never be "religious enough to live that kind of life". I would like to suggest to you that you need to be no more religious to be an evangelizer than to be a teacher, engineer, carpenter, or any other profession. Whatever you do, you will need to develop a love for and a dependence on God. You might ask your dad and mom about the difference between being religious and being spiritual.

bjn70

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
I'm a christian, and i love flashlights as well. Whether or not this is related? i dont think so

[/ QUOTE ]

Well I'm an usher in my church and we have a big building that is very dark when the lights are out, so I carry my Inova X5 with me. So it is sorta related. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

nethiker

Enlightened
Great post woolfam, I think you did well in replying to Mag's questions.

Mags, I wouldn't be too concerned about your calling yet. Live with a passion for life and you will discover your future.

I think it's great that your Mom is trying to understand your interest in flashlights by relating it to your family's faith. Your interest could very well be a sign from God. Then again, you could be a poor young flashaholic destined to spend your savings on flashlights instead of booze at the bar.

I think you're a winner either way.

Greg

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
My tagline is to remind me that many people are not drawn unto God by talk. Actions speak louder than words and I try to remind myself that no amount of intellectual stimulation will touch someone as much as a kind gesture or helping hand.

I applaud those that are and are not outright saying their religious affiliation that are helpful and kind in these forums and it is because of that generosity I have stayed around here myself.

I have tried to be helpful when I could online and have to remind myself not to be critical of others opinions, but instead help others to find the truth...... be it in flashlights, or perhaps in God. I didn't come here to evangelize but christians by their nature according to the bible should be willing and ready to share the gospel when and where it is appropriate.

I enjoy reading all the signlines because it makes you reflect on more than just flashlights, at times it gives you an extra dimension of the personality of those that add them in.

theepdinker

Enlightened
Mags, talk to your mom & find out in depth what's on her mind.
No matter who says what, ask for an explantion anytime something is said to you that leaves you with more questions.

I wish more people could keep to the actual questions posed when religion is a part of the question,
rather than going off on argumentative tangents of religion in general.
That's about as likely to happen in the near future as world peace, Jesus' return, or me hitting the lottery.

Regardless of religious belief.

Is there anybody on this forum that does not believe
LIGHT IS GOOD.

Take a deep breath & ease up people, this is supposed to be an enjoyable refuge from a hectic world.

Theepdinker

DimBeam

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Lynx_Arc said:
My tagline is to remind me that many people are not drawn unto God by talk. Actions speak louder than words and I try to remind myself that no amount of intellectual stimulation will touch someone as much as a kind gesture or helping hand.

I applaud those that are and are not outright saying their religious affiliation that are helpful and kind in these forums and it is because of that generosity I have stayed around here myself.

I have tried to be helpful when I could online and have to remind myself not to be critical of others opinions, but instead help others to find the truth...... be it in flashlights, or perhaps in God. I didn't come here to evangelize but christians by their nature according to the bible should be willing and ready to share the gospel when and where it is appropriate.

I enjoy reading all the signlines because it makes you reflect on more than just flashlights, at times it gives you an extra dimension of the personality of those that add them in.

[/ QUOTE ]

Very well said.