eddie bauer led light?

gnef

Enlightened
Hey, guys, i've been lurking around these forums for a bit, and the information provided here is very useful. I bought an led keychain light a while ago at target. It is marketed by Eddie Bauer. http://www.ebtx.com/mech/optolite.html that is about as much as i could find on the light. I am not sure if that is the exact one i have, mine came with a multiple detachable keychain thing together with the light. It doesn't have a lens or anything, and is run off of four AG-3 button cells. It is approximately the size of a AAA battery, same diameter, a little bit longer though. Can any of you give me any more info on the light?

thanks!

PS. I bought a nuwai Q-3, and ups has it currently - i'm looking forward to playing with that... =)

Kiessling

Flashaholic
Looks like a LedLenser V8 clone to me. LedLenser lights are made by Zweibrueder Optoelectronics in Germany (well, made in China actually), and have the following merits and flaws in general:

ll_v8_series.jpg

- well built, this unit should be made of brass
- bright
- not watertight
- not regulated (some exceptions)
- no lens protection

This particular unit has the problem of the button cells (relatively expensive and low capacity), but is a nice emergency light otherwise. The problem with LedLenser in general on this forum is that there's better out there, and we usually want the best /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/evilgrin07.gif

Welcome to CPF gnef, and stay a while!
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

bernhard

VidPro

Flashlight Enthusiast
its FINE, good pocket light, ok price, and hey if it works , and your happy with it, then the only problem is them stupid little batteries :)
and if its used Intermittantally like any key light usually is, even that wont be a problem.

but from your link, dont belive this guys explaination of the science behind it :)

""Well, to start with this is an LED light that never needs to be replaced. An LED is just a blob of glass with some bit of gas in it and a couple of electrodes ... something like a mini-florescent light without the cheap, leaky end pieces. Now, the gas gives off certain wavelengths of light and these folks apparently have chosen just those gases which give off only visible light. There is no heat. That's where the energy savings comes from. NO HEAT at all as far as I know. ""

it aint glass.
it is similar to a florescent only in the respect of it using phosphors, it is opposite of florescent when it comes to its voltage and frequency stuff, florescent being high voltage, leds being low.
they dont really last 100,000 hours without the phosphors degrading.
and i dont think they have any gass in them. they are more like an electronic gate, like some of the semiconductors.
they do put out heat, and that style, the heat has a tendancy to route down to the metal leads. and in that flashlight probably into the body, and batteries.
lots less heat than a incadescent, but leds are not cold.

and his 9 DAYS test, was not the smartest thing in the world :) with the TINY ALKALINE batteries, intermittant use of it would be bright each time.
Resting the alkalines in between uses would keep it being bright during each limited use. and it will also use more power at each intermittant use.
as opposed to draining the batteries in a non realistic test for that style of light.

just so that is clarified, not because it matters.
see also De way Leds work
just so somone doesnt get the wrong info

gnef

Enlightened
Haha. Thanks for the replies!

Yea, i knew that 'review' wasn't that accurate, but i took into consideration the date of the review, and it made more sense to me, considering he had never really seen an led light before.

the info on the ledlenser is interesting to me though, and i appreciate the information. I've been lurking for a while. I was intrigued by green lasers initially, but decided it wasn't practical, and now i'm becoming more interested in flashlights. But being a student, i don't quite have the money for the 'nice' lights... heh... but i do like to discover and see what is a good buy.

yea, i've had this little light for quite a while now, and it still seems fairly bright - i haven't even looked into getting replacement batteries for it yet.

what were some of the better options out there for this size? I saw the 1.3W light, but the cost was more than what i would be willing to pay for a keychain light. any information is appreciated!

thanks,

-Gnef

Kiessling

Flashaholic
Any light that uses AAA or AA cells and one 5mm LED will be just as bright and far better from the battery aspect.
The Gerber Infinity comes to mind which is fairly cheap, robust and watertight. There once were Arc lights, but they are collectors items now and unaffordable. You might want to look at the Peak lights, too, they offer a variety of different species for reasonable prices.

Note though that the 1.3W JIL light blows those lights away in the brightness department, but looses big time in the runtime department.

It all comes down to compromises between light output, heat, runtime and size as well as $$ as usual /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

bernhard

NeilP

Enlightened
Is there a way / battery type that will fit inside the standard V8 to dump the pokey little button cells?
I have one of these, (minus the rubber cover and the spare in the tail cap) and the 4 x LR44 cells never just fall out.

Would be nice to keep this little thing going if there was a single cell replacement for the buttons. I am sure I had heard of a replacement for 2x LR44 but can not think what they were called.

BTW..silver (SR44) or alkaline best for these lamps?

Last edited:

Illum

Flashaholic
Is there a way / battery type that will fit inside the standard V8 to dump the pokey little button cells?
I have one of these, (minus the rubber cover and the spare in the tail cap) and the 4 x LR44 cells never just fall out.

Would be nice to keep this little thing going if there was a single cell replacement for the buttons. I am sure I had heard of a replacement for 2x LR44 but can not think what they were called.

BTW..silver (SR44) or alkaline best for these lamps?

:ohgeez:

9 year bump

:banghead:

I suppose you could put a little paper pull tag glued to the innermost cell to ease extraction.... but as a keychain light if you really need a light that much I'd consider veering off button cell lights altogether

andd no, while single battery designs exist, such as the A544, PX28A, etc. They are too thick in construction to fit.

btw, 2xLR44 cells are called CR-1/3N, 2L76, 5018LC, or K58L. At $5 a battery, you sure you want to take this route?

NeilP

Enlightened
Yep a long time bump, but better than starting a new thread surely?

1/3N cells that was it, thanks

I'd take that route if they had more capacity than 4 x lr44. Just thinking that since there is likely to be more compound in one of these 1/3 rd cells than 2 LR44. hence maybe longer life.
Thanks

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yep a long time bump, but better than starting a new thread surely?

1/3N cells that was it, thanks

I'd take that route if they had more capacity than 4 x lr44. Just thinking that since there is likely to be more compound in one of these 1/3 rd cells than 2 LR44. hence maybe longer life.
Thanks

Then someone would have gotten on you for not having used the SEARCH! function. Can't win.

NeilP

Enlightened
Pah that's nothing ;)

One of my firsts posts the other day revived a thread from last year ...

Yes that is nothing, but it was an even older thread that someone ela revived in 2013, That bump was over 10 years!

But it does not matter does it? As pointed out at least the Search is being used. If this were not the case we would get slapped down for not searching. As always , a case of 'Heads you loose, tails I win'

;)

Sent from my iPhone using Candlepowerforums

Illum

Flashaholic
You can easily dig out 2002 threads from the archives and bump the cheese out of it, but what productive measure do you intend to get out of it?

NeilP

Enlightened
You can easily dig out 2002 threads from the archives and bump the cheese out of it, but what productive measure do you intend to get out of it?

Two things:
Not get told off for not searching
Keeping the info regarding the same question in the same place.

It matters not that the thread has been bumped 10 years or not, and it was not the intention to bump an old thread just for the sake of it. the ten year old one was bumped initially by someone else last year and I commented on it again this year.

If I do a search for info on converting an incan AAA Maglite I'd rather have only one search result with all the info there, rather than having 20 threads to search through.

You may feel a new thread for the same subject each time someone asks a similar question is better, I personally prefer it all in one place, just easier for me I guess, especially if working on an iPhone screen. I don't know, just my way of thinking gI guess, and we are all different.

I suppose on a computer browser, opening and reading multiple tabs for each threads makes your approach easier, but I'd still stick to mine, each to his own.

Last edited: